Profile for ckw > Reviews

Apache: The Definitive Guide: The Definitive Guide, 3rd Edition
Apache: The Definitive Guide: The Definitive Guide, 3rd Edition
Price: 14.52

2.0 out of 5 stars Misleading Publication Date., 11 May 2014
I have this book with the same title and ISBN with a publication date of December 2002, so it would appear that the claimed 2013 date for the Kindle addition is misleading.

The discussion, in my printed edition, of certificate authorities for SSL out of date in that there was no mention of intermediate certificates.

Beginning Rails 4 (Expert's Voice in Web Development)
Beginning Rails 4 (Expert's Voice in Web Development)
by Adam Gamble
Price: 28.61

3.0 out of 5 stars It will get you started but ..., 22 Dec 2013
The heart of the book and its most useful content is an extensive step by step development of the code for blog. Certainly a good start in understanding how a Rails application fits together. Very similar but simpler examples with a similar style of presentation can be found in the Ruby on Rails documentation.

There are about 60 listings of incrementally modified files. Be warned if you are following these through with your own files, that you should add comments referencing corresponding page numbers in the book. The index and contents will not be of much help when it comes reviewing what was done where or why! This is the most disappointing aspect of the book.

I am not too enthusiastic about the occasional rambling forays into the philosophy of software engineering. Some more succinct technical information about how, for example, routing data is processed and accessed or how it is configured would have been more helpful.

Even so, the book presents a challenge which help you get your train on the Rails!

Professional WordPress: Design and Development (Wrox Programmer to Programmerwrox Professional Guides)
by Brad Williams
Price: 20.39

1.0 out of 5 stars How frustrating!, 2 Oct 2013
I am sorry - as an experienced programmer, I find this book very frustrating. For each sentence containing useful technical information, there is a page of essay writing about generalities. The best thing I can say is that my frustration has led me to read the code when I want understand in any depth what is going on!

Quality USB Optical Scroll Wheel Mouse O/P 800/1600DPI
Quality USB Optical Scroll Wheel Mouse O/P 800/1600DPI
Offered by Magic&Gorgeous
Price: 1.44

2.0 out of 5 stars Weak Laser/ Laser sensor, 13 Oct 2012
The choice of surface for this mouse to track effectively is critical. On shiny surface it did not respond at all. On a mouse mat it responded spasmodically, whilst on the foam back of the mat it responded perfectly so long as I held the mat still with other hand! I solved the problem with a table cloth. But what can you expect for less than 3?

Ryobi RBC-430SES Brushcutter Petrol 30cc 4 Stroke D Handle
Ryobi RBC-430SES Brushcutter Petrol 30cc 4 Stroke D Handle
Offered by Big Red Toolbox
Price: 217.74

1.0 out of 5 stars Waiting for the cam to fail again on the RBC430SES, 5 Aug 2012
I confirm 'The Truths' observations.

When my plastic cam failed, I was fortunate enough to get a complete replacement from Ryobi.

Whilst the machine is powerful when running well, I find I am forever fiddling - the cord keeps breaking and the push through facility on the reel head does not cope well with the inevitably curved cord, screws keep falling off from the handle because the provided screwdriver for them is inadequate and so on.

When I came to install the brushcutter blade for the first time, I was faced with an hour long research project - I downloaded the manual (in about 30 languages), the only clue in it to the procedure was the numbered rundown of parts which referred to a missing diagram - a version of the diagram which came with the machine was numbered differently. The partly hexagonal, left hand threaded component has to be removed by inserting a small rod through the a slot in the rotating head into a drilling to lock it whilst unscrewing it with the supplied wrench.

I am just waiting for the cam to fail again so I can justify buying a Stihl!