Profile for Stephen Taylor > Reviews

Content by Stephen Taylor

Stephen Taylor (Cambridge, UK)

LEGO Friends 3933: Olivia's Inventor's Workshop
LEGO Friends 3933: Olivia's Inventor's Workshop
Offered by Toybroker-UK
Price: 16.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Little building, it's more about the accessories, 23 Jan 2012
= Durability:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
My 6 year old was given this for her birthday. Having spent much of the previous day making LEGO City and Creator kits and playing with them, she was pleased to get this and loved the way it looked. However, it contains very little to build. I'd say it was a starter kit for people new to LEGO, but that's not the case since it has loads of really small fiddly bits for the lab. Also the figure, whilst similar to a regular mini-figure in size, can't be manipulated in the same way (eg there are no holes in the bum, so you can't fix her to a chair, her hands don't rotate). LEGO have made a bit of effort to avoid accusations of stereotyping in this set (if not some of the others in the range) by making it a science lab, and since their mother is a scientist I was happy with this. However, the character is wearing inappropriate clothes for a lab - I'd have preferred to see her in a lab coat and more appropriate shoes!

From reading around about this new range it seems that LEGO have found that girls don't like building as much as they like the playing with the characters they can relate to. I can't speak for girls in general, but it's not true of my two, so we'll stick to LEGO City and Creator. If that's what your kids prefer I suspect they'd be happier with Polly Pocket or the many other ranges of dolls and characters.

I find it a shame. If LEGO think their other ranges aren't girl-friendly enough they could have just extended the City and Creator ranges. I was concerned that my daughter would be so bowled over by the colours and (overly) feminine aspects of this set. I needn't have bothered, since she quickly tired of it, and incorporated the character into some of her other more complex sets.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 23, 2012 1:34 PM GMT

Beauty and the Beast (Little Golden Books (Random House))
Beauty and the Beast (Little Golden Books (Random House))
by Teddy Slater
Price: 2.38

2.0 out of 5 stars Shoddy, 17 April 2009
Poor quality paper, cover and binding. I suppose for the price this may be expected, but you can find plenty of cheaper books of reasonable quality.

Polaroid PoGo Digital Photo Printer with Zero Ink (Zink) Technology
Polaroid PoGo Digital Photo Printer with Zero Ink (Zink) Technology

5.0 out of 5 stars A great piece of kit, 30 Sep 2008
I ordered one of these having played with a friend's. I was a little concerned by some of the reviews here, but I'd seen one in the flesh, as it were, so was pretty sure it'd be OK. As often happens I found a lot of the negative comments to be wrong or not to be deal breakers (for me).

I've been really impressed with the Pogo so far, and my daughter's been having a great time with it. It's really easy to send photos from my mobile, and the prints come out very quickly. Setting it up was pretty seamless (though it took me a little time to work out which way the paper went in). Once set up you can take the Pogo anywhere and get near instant prints.

My daughter now has photos stuck all over her things. Her generation are more used to seeing photos on PC screens so the prints are a real novelty for her.

The packaging is pretty nice. Looks like Polaroid have been following Apple's example here. (Seems superficial to mention this, but it helps make a good first impression.)

One suggestion I'd make is for the photo paper to have a break on the backing to make it easier to remove it when you want to stick the photo somewhere. (Maybe I just find it tricky because I bite my nails!)

As for the criticisms, the one I'd agree with is: why does it have to come with a non-standard power adaptor? I've not marked it down for this since it seems to be true of all digital cameras in the market (or at least the ones I've seen) so it would be unfair to single the Pogo out. Can't someone legislate to enforce a standard charger?

So apart from that non-dealbreaker, I can definitely recommend the Pogo as a fun gift for anyone who has kids, or is young at heart.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 25, 2010 2:02 PM BST