Profile for Erwann Kerroch > Reviews

Content by Erwann Kerroch

Erwann Kerroch

Game of Thrones - Season 3 (Includes Bonus Disc 'Creating The World With Visual Effects' - Exclusive to Amazon.co.uk) [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Peter Dinklage

5.0 out of 5 stars Great blu-ray., 23 Mar. 2014
The "games of Thrones" blu-rays don't disappoint season after season. Great quality in sound and image; same thing for the show itself, which keeps being one of the best thing you could find on TV.

Universal Soldier Day Of Reckoning [Blu-ray]
Universal Soldier Day Of Reckoning [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Scott Adkins

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the typical action movie you expect. But a GREAT movie., 14 Dec. 2012
I've never been a fan of the Universal Soldier Franchise. I saw the first one when I was young, and the only reason I came back to it was because I was expecting a huge turn in Van Damme's career after "JCVD". So I watched "Universal Soldier: Regeneration", and honestly I was kinda disappointed by the actor who seemed not to care anymore about his acting. But the one thing that surprised me was the director John Hyams (son of director Peter Hyams), who did a great job on the movie. It was raw, violent and not dumb (I wouldn't say smart) like the first entry of the series.
So when I heard that he was back for "Day of reckoning", and that the main character would be played by Scott Adkins - a man who's actually interested in building a name for himself - I was quite interested. From the trailers, interviews and early reviews, you could actually see that the movie was gonna be very different from the last ones. But just to make sure I prepare myself for the worst - cause it was still gonna be a B-movie after all !

Now that I watched it, I can easily say that "Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning" is very easily the best, most mature, violent and disturbing movie of the franchise. The thing is, it's in fact so disturbing and unexpected that a lot of people (who are only seeking a good old pop-corn action flick) won't stand it.
"Day of Reckoning" is trying very hard to mature the series - maybe too much for its own good; but for someone who wasn't expecting much but a stupid plot and gory fight scenes, I would say that I was pleasantly surprised. For once, there's actually a commited director behind that kind of movies: someone with guts, who's thinking about what is doing, and who wants to make a film that will provoke people. And that my friends, is rare enough to be applaused.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 10, 2013 1:47 PM GMT

Nowhere To Run [DVD]
Nowhere To Run [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jean-Claude Van Damme
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Van Damme shows he can act and punch in the same time !, 13 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Nowhere To Run [DVD] (DVD)
I discovered "Nowhere To Run" while I was trying to find a decent Van Damme movie to watch. He was one of my idols when I was a kid, always watching his stuff with my friends on videotape after recording it on TV. The guy was impressive, and we were too young to give a damn about his acting skills, mostly because we couldn't see the difference between Van Damme and Al Pacino at that time (except for the kicks and the punches).

Fifteen years later, I didn't think that the belgium actor had anything more to offer to me. His carrer was down the flush, he looked high whenever he was speaking on TV, and all of his movies where shot in some unknown East european country for a total of half the price Van Damme was paid 20 years earlier.
So I couldn't imagine being impress anymore by Van Damme, since he was almost 50 years old, and couldn't do his old tricks. He was completely surpassed by guys like Tony Jaa ans Donnie Yen. To me, if he had been one of the greatest action star at some point, he wasn't no more.

That's when there was some talk about a french produced movie starring the washed-up Van Damme, playing himself in a heist film where all his carrer and all the choices he made during his life would be questioned.
That was "JCVD", a film where the action star disappeared to take a look at the actor, at the pretty good actor should I say.

Cause if most people agree about Van Damme performance in this movie, it was no coincidence. The guy had worked hard (since his collaboration with HK filmaker Ringo Lam) on his acting skills, understanding that one day his body will be out of shape. That's how we ended up with movies like "JCVD", a film with no kicks or punches (ok, maybe 3, but that's it !).

So after having watch "JCVD" I started digging in Van Damme others films. No doubt he had done some terrible movies, that represents two thirds and a half of his filmography. Among those, you even have the movies that made him famous, but that cannot be taken seriously nowadays ("Bloodsport", "Lionheart", "Death Warrant").

And you have movies like "Wake of Death", "In Hell", "Replicant", "Maximum Risk", "Until Death", and the very well directed "NOWHERE TO RUN". When I watched this last one, I was stunned by the acting of Van Damme and the quality of the directing, that for once made the movie look like a true Hollywood film. I learned later that it was actually the first Hollywood-produced Van Damme movie.
So if you're looking for a good emotional action film with a great Van Damme, without having him running around an punching bad guys all the time, I'll advise you to see "Nowhere To Run".