Profile for Jake40s > Reviews

The Bad Girl
The Bad Girl
by Mario Vargas Llosa

2.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Disappointing, 17 Jun. 2009
This review is from: The Bad Girl (Paperback)
Reading these other glowing reviews, I think I must have been missing something. Everything in this book seemed to me utterly two dimensional, an endless string of characters introduced purely with the intention of repeating the same short story line over and over again. I did not find any of them interesting or believable and nothing that any of them said or did made their character any thicker than cardboard. It is a great pity, because I loved "The War at the End of the World" and "Feast of the Goat". I think I will have to keep digging into the earlier works because there was certainly very little in this to hold my attention.

Babel [DVD]
Babel [DVD]
Dvd ~ Brad Pitt
Offered by Qoolist

5.0 out of 5 stars The best films do polarise opinion ..!, 28 July 2007
This review is from: Babel [DVD] (DVD)
Interesting to read the strange comments from those here who gave this a low rating. Some people have perhaps a very low tolerance for reality .. I think that I am not supposed to comment on others comments (but, wow, Mr. J.D, are you for real?).

Yes, it takes time to play out an idea ... and unlike such misconceptions as, for example, "The Constant Gardener", this film takes its time to let the audience develop a feeling for the locations and the characters involved.

Films can be fascinating and gripping at a slow pace, all the more so I would say. It's called "depth"!

Excellent! This is fiction but firmly from the factual world we live in! It goes straight into my list of top films of recent years.

The Constant Gardener [DVD] [2005]
The Constant Gardener [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Ralph Fiennes
Offered by rsdvd

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful voyeuristic claptrap!!, 10 Feb. 2007
Yes, great shots of wildebeast (or were they crowds of people, never mind, who cares?) .. and, sorry, where are we now, Amsterdam? Berlin? .... oh, yes, back to the black people ...hmmm, can we save one or two? Oh, guess not, still, never mind, there's some great exciting wheeze going on between some white cardboard people that we'd better care about instead. Let's get passionate about that shall we? Jolly good. Jolly, jolly good. What shady goings-on there were! But we got through it, got to see what life is really like, that's the main thing! What?