Profile for Stephie > Reviews

Content by Stephie

Stephie (Ormskirk, England)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15
AmazonBasics USB Charging and Synchronising Cable for Apple iPod 4, iPod nano 6, iPad 3, iPhone 4S and Previous Apple Models 1 m / 3.2 Feet  Black
AmazonBasics USB Charging and Synchronising Cable for Apple iPod 4, iPod nano 6, iPad 3, iPhone 4S and Previous Apple Models 1 m / 3.2 Feet Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Good sized connector, 29 April 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Pros:
1. Big thumb-and-forefinger sized connector, easy to remove from my ipod without pulling the cable
2. Good cable length at 1m, much better than the apple one that came with my ipod
3. it works (unlike some cheaper makes of ipod cable that are available on amazon).

Cons: None.

London, You're Beautiful: An Artist's Year
London, You're Beautiful: An Artist's Year
by David Gentleman

2.0 out of 5 stars Misleading - full of quick sketches, not beautiful paintings, 29 April 2012
My Opinion:
I'm a huge fan of watercolour paintings, and particularly like the line and wash technique, so I was really looking forward to this book.

Whilst a few of the paintings are very good, most of them are rushed sketches, many of them are in thick pen, and only a few have any depth or tonal qualities to them. Backgrounds are often as prominant as the foreground, pen is heavy all over and the result is disappointing.

To be fair, the introduction does state that this year long study of London was done using quick on-the-spot sketches with watercolour washes added outdoors, whilst standing in doorways or on roundabouts, and with this in mind I think the artist has done an exceptional job. If this was made clear on the product page I would not have been disappointed at all.

And I have to say that, as an artistic impression of London, it would make a very nice souvenir.

My Watercolour Art Class Opinion:
I took the book along to my watercolour art class, and ALL of them, without exception, thought this was a wonderful book. Several of them noted down the title so that they could buy it - so whilst I don't like it, I think I may be in the minority.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 16, 2012 9:42 PM BST

The Gardener's Year Made Easy
The Gardener's Year Made Easy
by Which?

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for novice gardeners, 26 April 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This glossy book is perfect for novice gardeners.

It is simple to understand, and is divided into monthly sections for ease of use. For a non-gardener like me it is perfect.

Each month is divided into: Borders, greenhouse, fruit garden, and veg patch.

"Must do jobs" are listed with some useful illustrations, and then "good jobs to get done" are also detailed - so if you are short on time, this book has prioritised what needs to be done first, making novice gardening a lot less stressful.

However, if you are not a novice, don't buy this book - it is very much aimed at the novice. My husband is the gardener in our house and he has not learnt anything new from it.

The Intolerant Gourmet: Delicious Allergy-friendly Home Cooking for Everyone
The Intolerant Gourmet: Delicious Allergy-friendly Home Cooking for Everyone
by Pippa Kendrick

5.0 out of 5 stars Great recipes, 26 April 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book has some fabulous recipes for people with intolerances including sweet, savoury, pastry and bread; my favourite is the white crusty bread, made without yeast. I'm ok with egg and milk, so used a real egg and semi-skimmed instead of the egg substitute and rice milk. It is lovely, and worth buying the book for this recipe alone.

The pages are thick and matt, and most recipes are accompanied by a tasty looking photo.

My only complaint is that the recipes are all too big - in general they cater for 4 to 6 people, so I have to divide the recipe into smaller chunks to cater for one. But they still work out well.

And the best part? - the recipes all use readily available Doves Farm flour mixes, so you don't have to keep dozens of different types of flour in the cupboard.

10/10

Frommer's Amsterdam Day by Day (Frommer's Day by Day - Pocket)
Frommer's Amsterdam Day by Day (Frommer's Day by Day - Pocket)
by George McDonald

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent mini-guide to Amsterdam, 18 April 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an excellent little book.

It will easily fit into the side pocket on my day-rucksack, measuring approx 10.5cm x 18.5cm x 1.5cm and weighs in at 230g.

There is a large fold-out map attached to the front cover, a removable map in a pocket at the back of the book, and several smaller maps where relevant inside the book - for example to show the route of a walking tour.

The book details lots of tours of Amsterdam that you can take, by bike, or by foot with minimal use of public transport (recommending that you wear good footwear). It also deatils a rather interesting canal-bike tour - which looks like a lot of fun in a peddaloe! There are tours for art lovers, tours for kids, tours for architechtural interest, and many many more.

I have not yet been to Amsterdam, so cannot comment on its accuracy, but this book has certainly whet my appetite and I can't wait to it try out for real.

Fellowes R-Kive Archive Clip - Pack of 50
Fellowes R-Kive Archive Clip - Pack of 50

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for reducing storage space, not very easy to use., 15 Mar. 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
So far I have used two of these archive clips.

To use:
1. break off the middle piece of plastic and keep it handy, it will be used later
2. The plastic spikes have a hollow in the end. Fit these hollows over the pointy bits of the corresponding metal spikes on the lever arch file.
3. Feed the papers from the metal spikes onto the plastic spikes (this is NOT easy)
4. put the piece you broke off in part 1. onto the plastic spikes, flat side down.
5. bend the spikes outwards and press down until they click into place.

Pros:
They significantly reduce the amount of space required to store the contents of a lever arch file
Even though they are plastic, they are well made and definitely sturdy enough to hold at least one, if not two lever arch files worth of papers.
Without the bulk of the lever arch file, the papers will then fit into a standard cardboard paper box of the type that you often find in an office.
The clips close well and do not spring open again unless you unclip them.

Cons:
The instructions are poor (although I'm mot entirely sure that mine are any better!)
The clips are not easy to use - the weight of the paper going onto the plastic made it bend and wobble a lot. I found it easier to take the papers out of the lever arch file a few at a time and put them onto the plastic spikes in the old fashioned way.
The clips hold the papers together very firmly, meaning that it is not so easy to read the contents. This is fine for archival, but not so good if you want to save space but still need to refer to the contents.

2 X Apple iPad 2 & iPad & iphone 4S iPhone 4 3GS 3G USB Data Sync & Charge charging Cable
Offered by GHMZ-JH

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the hassle, 6 Mar. 2012
My cables (purchased from Tech Galaxy for 60p plus 97p postage) arrived promptly.

One of the cables did not work. Tech Galaxy sent out a replcaement very quickly, along with a bag to return the defective cable. So far so good.

One week later, the other cable has stopped working, and I am now waiting for another replacement. I have no reason to doubt that the seller will send me another - but it is a nuisance and, in my view, really not worth the hassle.

Don't be fooled - these cables are too cheap.

SanDisk SDSDX-016G-X46 Extreme SDHC UHS-I Class 10 Memory Card up to 45 MB/s read - 16 GB
Offered by eHome

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast card, 30MB/s 16GB, class 10, 28 Feb. 2012
After reading other reviews I ordered this card expecting to receive the 20MB/s class 6 card (as per the description) and not the 30MB/s class 10 as per the photo. I was highly delighted therefore to receive the 30MB/s class 10 card, and have now ordered another.

It works very well in my camcorder (Panasonic HDC-SD90).

Red Mist (BBC Audio)
Red Mist (BBC Audio)
by Patricia Cornwell
Edition: Audio CD

1.0 out of 5 stars Hard work, 22 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Red Mist (BBC Audio) (Audio CD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a review of audio edition of Red Mist by Patricia Cornwell, read by Lorelei King.

Lorelei King made a good attempt at reading this book to me, but it was such hard work to listen to.

I had to concentrate really hard to understand
1 what was going on,
2 who each character was, and
3 how they related to the storyline.

I have never read/listened to any of the previous Scarpetta novels (I didn't even know there were any previous books when I began this one) and I think this is a huge disadvantage. Characters were discussed who I hadn't come across before - it was assumed that I would know who they were. Very confusing, and I had to rewind several times.

The style of writing was annoying too - at times it felt like I was listening to a lecture on poisons or examining bodies etc.

I can however recommend it as a sleep aid - Lorelei King has a soporific voice that had me nodding off in no time.

Wavefinder UK and Ireland
Wavefinder UK and Ireland
by Larry Blair

2.0 out of 5 stars Small and not as much info as the plethora of surfing websites, 30 Jan. 2012
This book is very small and does not contain as much info as the various webpages devoted to surf beaches. Overall I am quite disappointed, and will still need to use the internet to find thorough beach information.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15