Profile for Steve Haygreen > Reviews

How The English Establishment Framed STEPHEN WARD
by Caroline Kennedy
Price: 7.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellently researched and highly readable, 30 Dec 2013
I read this book under its original title 'An Affair of State' which was hard to track down at the time, so I am very pleased to see this re-published and easily available version.

I became interested in the story of Stephen Ward as I knew it was to be the subject of a new Andrew Lloyd Webber musical and I wanted some background information on both the man and the "Profumo Affair" in general as it was just a vague historical event that I had never really understood.

I have since become fascinated with his story, thanks both to the musical, and in large part to this book. It is almost too extraordinary to believe, and indeed would be wholly unbelievable if created as a work of fiction.

Although I believe the musical gives a very entertaining "potted" version of the facts, if you really want to understand the many complex twists and turns of this ultimately devastatingly sad and outrageously unfair series of events, I highly recommend you read this book. A musical, or indeed film (the movie "Scandal" for example) can never begin to explain just how events unfolded and one thing lead to another until reaching their terrible conclusion.

This book is very well researched, and so obviously a work of much dedication. It is also extremely highly readable and so compelling that I had to read it solidly without putting it down. What could potentially be a very academic read is actually a gripping and eye-opening story of one of the most interesting periods of modern history, and one of the worst miscarriages of justice in the British legal system.

Days of Wonders: Inside the 2012 Opening Ceremony
Days of Wonders: Inside the 2012 Opening Ceremony
by Russell Moon
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonder-ful, 10 April 2013
Mr Moon, please forgive me, but I did initially wonder if all the five star reviews for your book had been written by your friends and relatives. I have now read the book and I am leaving my own five star review!

This is a great book for anyone with fond memories of the stunning London 2012 Opening Ceremony. I was lucky to be in the audience on 27 July, and this book not only gives fascinating insights into the rehearsal process but builds and builds as the performance nears, bringing back the same sense of excitement I felt in 2012 as the games approached. By the end of the book I was overwhelmed with emotion once again.

Along with the BBC DVDs, 'Days of Wonder' is a must-have souvenir of London 2012.