Profile for Mary Smith > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
A Boy of Good Breeding
A Boy of Good Breeding
by Miriam Toews

5.0 out of 5 stars Among the best books I have ever read - highly recommended., 6 Jan. 2015
This review is from: A Boy of Good Breeding (Paperback)
Another very funny book, beautifully written by an amazing author. The book is based on the crazy (to me) idea of a mayor determined to keep the population of 'his' town below 1500 in order to qualify for a visit from the president, who he believes is his father. This gives him an unhealthily keen interest in who's dying and who's being born. The characters are vivid and all of them and their foibles are lovable. I can highly recommend this book to anyone who loves a good tale. Miriam Toews is, in my view the best author I have ever read in over 55 years of reading. I am bereft now that I have now read all of her books. I hope I can find another author as skilled and entertaining as her - perhaps someone could recommend some?

All My Puny Sorrows
All My Puny Sorrows

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book so much that I immediately started hunting ..., 3 Dec. 2014
I loved this book so much that I immediately started hunting for more by the same author. There is a bit of a theme through her books, which mix difficult events with humour brilliantly. I would recommend that, before reading this book you read 'A complicated kindness' which is set in the years before the events in this book take place. What a wonderful author.

Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl Written by Herself
Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl Written by Herself

2.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't get into it and haven't read it., 9 Jun. 2014
I cannot tell you why I didn't like this book - the style of writing just didn't flick any switches for me. I abandoned it after a short time, which is something I don't do very often. So did my sister. We have similar tastes and, as a guide, like Lianne Moriarty, Deborah Moggach, Kate Atkinson (most of) - is that any help?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 2, 2014 7:20 PM BST

Offered by TV Depot UK

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it and so does my other half?, 9 Jun. 2014
This review is from: 21 (Audio CD)
Music is so subjective!! I love Adele and I really like most of this album but, if you're not a fan of hers, then you may not like it. My other half feels pretty much the same. I have to say it's not one that gets put on a lot so I can't give it a five rating. (We're both over 60 years old if that's any help!)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 25, 2014 2:26 AM BST

PICTURE PERFECT INSTAHANGER
PICTURE PERFECT INSTAHANGER

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant bit of kit, 9 Jun. 2014
This review is from: PICTURE PERFECT INSTAHANGER
This was brought for a small bedroom that has occasional visitors in. It's perfect for that and also for hanging things if (like me) you do your ironing in the same room. It folds away completely so doesn't take up space like a rail or wardrobe.

Sea Sew
Sea Sew

4.0 out of 5 stars Bought as a gift, 9 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Sea Sew (Audio CD)
Didn't do it for me but the recipient loved it. So, basically, it's all down to taste - as all music is!! So hard to give stars to. The service was fine though.

Sennheiser CX 300 II Precision Noise Isolating Earphones - Black
Sennheiser CX 300 II Precision Noise Isolating Earphones - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't suit what they were ordered for., 9 Jun. 2014
I can't really give a proper opinion, sorry. They were ordered for my son who had to send them back as they didn't stay in his ears when he was running and they didn't work properly with the MP3 player he had but they could be brilliant for all I know

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared

4.0 out of 5 stars Very funny - at first!, 9 Jun. 2014
I thought this book was very clever, mixing real events and absolute nonsense. I laughed a lot at the beginning but it began to wear a bit thin towards the end. Unusual though and definitely worth a read.

The Universe Doesn't Give a Flying Fuck About You (Epic series Book 1)
The Universe Doesn't Give a Flying Fuck About You (Epic series Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny! and a bit harsh (but true!!), 9 Jun. 2014
This was a very different self help book and made a refreshing change from the endless stream of usual love yourself kind of stuff. It made me laugh so that can't be bad. But I think you might have to be in a decent frame of mind to read it. Someone who felt 'delicate' might have a bit of a problem with it.

THREE PACKS of Marigold Bathroom Gloves Medium
THREE PACKS of Marigold Bathroom Gloves Medium
Offered by Homecare Essentials Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I wanted, 9 Jun. 2014
Brilliant! Exactly the same as the ones I've had before but have been unable to get hold of recently in my local shop. Thank you.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8