Profile for Rockywhitt > Reviews

Purity
Purity
by Jonathan Franzen

5.0 out of 5 stars Flawed masterpiece, 21 Oct. 2015
This review is from: Purity (Hardcover)
Flawed masterpiece. Not as good as The Corrections or Freedom but still the best book I've read in a long while. It's not written quite as brilliantly as the last two books but theres a more ambitious and far reaching plot seen from multiple points of view. It's also more of a page turner. I'm glad he wrote this book cause if he had done another family from the suburbs book it would have been a big disappointment to me.

Bose ® SoundTouch 20 Series II Wi-Fi Music System - White
Bose ® SoundTouch 20 Series II Wi-Fi Music System - White

2.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, unusable. Brought back to shop., 15 Jan. 2015
I got one of these for Christmas, the sound is amazing…I personally think a lot better than Sonos. Listening to Sea Change by Beck and the newest My Bloody Valentine record was massively enjoyable when it was working. On the downside, the antenna or receiver for wi-fi is appalling. It constantly drops airplay making it unusable. To add insult to this, the app is horrible as well so you're left with a glorified radio. Spent a bit of time with customer support. They agreed that my device was only picking up a very weak wi-fi signal…which is ridiculous it wasn't far from the router (and I've got extremely fast fibre optic broadband) and my phone and iPad can stream films in the same place no problem, no drop outs. I've since got a lend of a Sonos speaker and it's never once dropped the signal and I haven't even had to use the bridge yet. It's hard to believe that Bose would make such an enormous mistake. When I went to bring it back to the Bose shop in Dundrum, I told the guy working there I had been talking to someone on the phone about the Airplay constantly dropping and he said "Oh yeah you must be Phil"…I'm not Phil, so it's happening to other people as well...

So to sum up, the sound is good and I miss it but it's ultimately unusable in my house. It gets the two stars for the nice sound and if they get their act together in the future I would buy them. They really need to fix their hardware and the software looks disgusting. I found the set up very easy but I mean if you're gonna have a speaker on your counter for a few years that's not a deal breaker one way or the other.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 26, 2015 12:32 PM BST

Teen Dream
Teen Dream

5.0 out of 5 stars Beach House, 29 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Teen Dream (Audio CD)
For me the two best albums of the last year or so are this and The National's High Violet. It's better than the great albums of last year like Animal Collective etc and the year before like Fleet Foxes...Still listening five months later and loving as much as ever which is what makes a classic album. The XX album for example was good but you never really kept on going back to it or even the Suburbs, the Arcade Fire album, doesn't really make you keep on going back for more. All time classic album I reckon.

The Electric Kool Aid Acid Test
The Electric Kool Aid Acid Test
by Tom Wolfe

5.0 out of 5 stars Electric Kool Aid, 29 Nov. 2010
Ken Kesey is one of the most interesting people from the sixties without a shadow of a doubt. After getting the money from his book "one flew over the cuckoo's nest", he and his band of Merry Pransters reject modern society and live in his remote house and take a lot of acid. An amazing look back at the beginning of the sixties and one of the main figures in starting the whole acid scene. Also good for Kerouac fans cause Neal Cassady AKA Dean Moriarty is one of the main pransters. Really recommend this.

Freedom
Freedom
by Jonathan Franzen

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 29 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Freedom (Hardcover)
One of the best books I've read in years, absolute classic, page turner but filled with great observations at the same time

Kryptonite KryptoLok Series 2 Standard Lock & Flex Cable
Kryptonite KryptoLok Series 2 Standard Lock & Flex Cable
Offered by WoollyHatShop

2.0 out of 5 stars Late Delivery, 29 Nov. 2010
Had major problems getting this product delivered. It was supposed to be delivered by Yodel in 2-3 days and they didn't deliver for more than two weeks before amazon stepped in and got it redelivered by normal post and the lock finally arrived after the guts of three weeks, by this stage I had spent about seventy pounds on the tube because I couldn't cycle without the lock which is nearly three times the price of the lock and I could have bought it in a bike shop far cheaper than what it cost me overall. A little bit disappointed with Amazon because I notified them something had gone wrong after about four days because I could see on the Yodel (DHL) tracking it said it had already reached me and it hadn't and Yodel's customer service was non existant.
In terms of the lock if it had arrived on time i would probably have given it three stars, I mean it's grand haven't had any problems with the keys or anything like some other people have but it's not long enough to go through my wheel and the two thin metal bars on a standard bike stand. It's also too short to lock to various poles and lamposts which does limit where you can lock your bike although I don't have racer tyres so the extra half inch could make a difference. Aside from this, which to me has seriously hampered the ease of stopping in different places, it seems like a decent lock.