Profile for jenchris40 > Reviews

Content by jenchris40

jenchris40 (UK)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16
Flexible Cutting Mats (Set of 4)
Flexible Cutting Mats (Set of 4)
Offered by Crystal Sells

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice, 25 Jan. 2013
Have been using these for years, so delighted to be able to replace them via Amazon. They are light, take up no space, are easy to identify, and last for years. Dishwasher safe, easy to clean, and well I think they're brilliant.

H2O Mop X5 5 in 1 Portable Steam Mop Multi Purpose Floor & Window Cleaner Carpet Steamer Garment Upholstery Oven Hob Steamer Upright & Hand Held Steamer Steam Jet (Green)
Offered by CostMad-UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Realistic expectations, 31 Dec. 2012
I bought this on Ebay for a far cheaper price than normally advertised, because it was older stock. I'm pleased with it.

Does it do what the TV ads suggest? Of course not. Nothing ever does, in my opinion, for two reasons: Firstly I don't have the practice of the showmen who advertise it day in day out; secondly, my stains are real, not faked for the tv!

So does it do what they say without the embellishments? In my opinion, yes. Will it clean hardened limescale without chemicals? Around 50% of them. The rest it will loosen so much that chemical cleaners work infinitely more effectively as a result.

I cleaned my cooker hood with it - one of those cheap ones, nothing fancy - and it took all the grease and grime off in about 10 minutes.

I'm disabled - was it lightweight enough to use? On a good day yes, on a bad day, no. But there's a bendy nozzley thing that means I can rest it on the worktop while I steamclean the tiles, for example.

Did it hold enough water? Enough to get say 3 or 4 minutes of solid steaming (around 400ml) at full blast. To be quite frank, in my house I wouldn't want steam billowing for any longer than that without a pause anyway. Is it dry steam or wet? Wet. But then I didn't pay Karcher prices - I needed lightweight, and that's precisely what I got.

So for all the criticisms it's attracting, I would like to counter and say, it does pretty much what you'd expect a machine like this to do - providing your expectations are realistic.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Small., 1 Dec. 2012
These are labelled as 38, not 38.5. As I'm a 39 I took a punt, but they are very small.

Having said that, quality is lovely. Bought these to line a pair of home-made knitted slipper boots, and they would do the job perfectly - if only they were big enough.

C500 Keysafe - Police Approved
C500 Keysafe - Police Approved
Offered by The Key Safe Company

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 29 July 2012
What a quandary - how to give an adequate review of something that is intrinsically about home security!

Put it this way. Husband and I trawled umpteen local locksmiths and hardware shops looking for a keysafe to stop me locking myself out of the house yet again and being a nuisance to the neighbours. There are two kinds readily available - keypad and briefcase-wheel.

Both these have intrinsic design flaws that render them easy to break into, which we discovered within seconds of handling them.

Although this has a keypad design, it is the most robust and hard to break into that we found (in fact you can't break into it). The police endorsement on this product is well-earned. I particularly like the fact that the keypad doesn't have to be physically removed from the front, it drops down like the wheeled versions; and it has a very discreet drop-down weatherproof cover.

Can't recommend it highly enough. Don't buy a cheaper alternative, even if it looks similar. Oh - and videos are available on Youtube to help you make your choice.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 17, 2015 10:16 PM GMT

Roberts Radios Stereo Clock Radio With CD Bookmark
Roberts Radios Stereo Clock Radio With CD Bookmark

4.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings, 24 Feb. 2012
I read all the reviews for this DAB CD clock radio before buying it, and in fact took a long time to decide to do so.

This is my 5th machine in approximately as many years. Quite simply, at this price, the CD part is not designed for what I would consider to be an ordinary level of use. Every one of the machines has suffered with CD failure within a matter of months. So I decided that this would be the last machine of its kind that I would give a try.

I have had two Pure Chronos machines, one of which was a reconditioned unit that lasted a week outside of its 3-month warranty, a Hitachi thing with a swing-front that looked pretty (and was probably the best CD player of the lot), and my last one was a really cheap reconditioned Bush that lasted longer than either of the Pure machines, new or reconditioned. So maybe it seems mad of me to give this one a whirl...

Anyway, the first one arrived yesterday without a power unit. Amazon did what they do particularly well, replaced it immediately, and the new one had all the bits it was supposed to have. But I am really disappointed. I'll try to be objective:

PLUS:

The sound is clear, wonderfully so, and the DAB radio, and indeed the FM, worked brilliantly straight out the box, without any need to blu-tac the aerial to my bedroom wall as usual.

It's tiny - perfect for a bedside table.

The light can be set at three levels, bright, dimmed and dimmeder - great for use in the night.

The buttons have a precise action.

It was really very easy to set up and use, and only took two looks at the manual to learn how to set the stations. And trust me, it's a really clear manual, I just don't understand reviews that talk about "wading through it".

The font, which has also been criticised, is large and doesn't seem to disappear depending on your position to it. It's very very easy to read, even for someone with minor vision problems.

Minuses:

The buttons I agree wholeheartedly are tiny, with even tinier labels. I think it would have been in order to produce a remote with this model.

The CD player - well I'm gobsmacked at it being described as "silent". It's by far the noisiest CD player I have ever had on my bedside, and means that I won't be able to use it at night without acquiring a divorce first. It's not silent. No way. And this was equally true of the first one which arrived with no power adapter. I will have to listen to audio books with headphones or with the volume a lot higher than normal to counter the noise of the CD machinery.

Finally, again the CD player - the lid is extremely limited in its opening, and that I think is a very negative point. I'm very careful with handling CDs but I can imagine anyone with a dexterity problem will struggle. The lid doesn't open to 90 degrees. CDs have to be slid under it and onto the connecty thingy in the middle. It will be impossible, once again, to do this in the dark and quietly.

The aerial is by far the shortest I have ever had on any kind of radio. It's tiny. Just as well I don't need to use it.

The headphone jack is on the back of the machine, and not the front. Again, more fumbling, not just the night-time issue, but I don't see how it will be possible to plug in headphones and keep the aerial upright at the same time, blu-tac or no.

Am I sending it back? No, I've been without for too long and I want to listen to my CDs in bed. I'm really surprised that a name like Roberts could produce something like this with so many design flaws, and above all such a noisy CD player. I won't be in a hurry to buy anything more expensive from them.

July update:

I've now been using this machine pretty heavily for 5 months, and I'm happier with it now than I was at the beginning. The noise from the cd mechanism has transpired not to keep the other half awake, or even disturb him at night, and I've become inured to it. Sadly this doesn't cure the problems with the awkward rear headphone socket (which I've found even more of a problem because it is parallel to, and on the far side from, the power lead, which gets in the way when I'm trying to plug in); and there's still the fumbling issue with the narrow cd opening. Still think it needs a remote control. Nevertheless I'm giving 4 stars now instead of the original 3, because I'm still pretty amazed at the clarity of the DAB stations which is excellent, without having to worry about the little external aerial.

Flowers handbags for Women
Flowers handbags for Women

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite lovely, 23 Jan. 2012
I bought this bag because it looked colourful, and the given dimensions were large.

It arrived very quickly and I used it today for the first time. All I can say is WOW. This bag is incredibly lightweight, and carried all my gym paraphernalia easily, including a full water bottle. The plentiful pockets allowed for easy carriage and location of purse and phone (which normally end up hopelessly lost in a jumble inside my traditional messenger-style gym bag). The adjustable strap extends to a very generous length, yet despite the generous proportions of this bag, it still looks like, and feels like, a handbag.

Because the fabric is manmade, it is much much lighter than cotton canvas, and will easily wipe down. The Zips are strong and easy to grab thanks to the large metal tab on each. I'm very, very impressed at the capacity, comfort and usability of this bag.

Vermatik 6in1 Pest Control, Mosquito Repellent, Spider Repellent, Insect Repellent, Rodent & insect Control (AS SEEN ON TV)
Offered by Futura Direct Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars It works., 17 Jan. 2012
I bought two of these and another more expensive one after we had mice a few years back. As another reviewer has said, it's only when they don't work that you can see a result!

The bottom line for us is that the only signs we've found in recent times have been in the conservatory where we don't have one of these. Even then, the signs were quite old.

I had done enough internet research when buying the expensive one to know that:

a) results would NOT be overnight. The existing problem had to be dealt with using conventional methods. These are deterrents only
b) it might upset pets in the house. Fortunately we have none.
c) they would have to be placed as far away from obstacles and with as much open floor in front of them as possible.

These seem to do exactly what they're supposed to. It's been a very very long time since we've had a problem. The only reason I'm giving 4 stars is that the one in the lounge dropped its frequency so that I could actually hear it, although other members of the family couldn't. That has since stopped, and it is totally silent again. The night light is very useful on the landing, too.

The expensive one has just fallen to pieces, which is why I'm on the lookout for some more.

Be warned, people might spot them and ask what they are. I'd much rather tell them I have a deterrent than the alternative!

Keenion MH-226V Sound Stereo Noise Reduction Neckband PC Headset / Headphones With Microphone

4.0 out of 5 stars Good enough!, 25 Nov. 2011
Comfortable to use in bed (I sleep in them) and sound quality is good enough for my needs. Cheap enough to buy a few pairs for when they break (as they invariably will when slept in). Sound cancellation not brilliant, but clear enough that very low volume doesn't matter.

Don't be taken in by the environmental claims of the advert. These have been packaged in the usual cardboard at some point - and a sliver will be included in the envelope giving minimal info about the headphones. So hopefully the vendor is recycling the packaging. In practice, no packaging for the customer means no guarantee.

PURE Peach Paraffin Wax Heater Kit - Including PURE Paraffin wax Heater, 3 PURE Peach Wax blocks, Mitts & Booties
Offered by The-Salon

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.75 stars***, 7 Nov. 2011
I bought this as I have started to develop osteoarthritis in my fingers, and following a similar treatment in hospital.

It is very easy to set up and use, and although it take a while to heat up and melt the wax (it says to allow 45 mins) it cools down quickly.

It is easy to use on a daily basis. I use mine in the kitchen and it's not so huge it takes up a huge worktop. The heat is wonderful - it really gives my hands a break from near constant discomfort - and it takes a good 10 years off the skin on my hands. They haven't been this soft in years.

I've knocked stars off, however. Firstly there is no temperature control. The nearest you get to that is lifting the lid and letting it all cool down a bit. So if you're sensitive to heat, it's hard to gauge the right temperature. That means, too, that there's no readable thermostat - it's recommended that you test on your wrist the way that you do a baby's bottle.

The second reason is that it's advertised as coming with a foot mat. It doesn't, or at least there wasn't one in my package. It's ok as I have a couple of old towels I can use, but that was an original selling point when looking at this compared to alternatives.

Another reason for knocking off the star-and-a-bit was the amount of wax supplied. You get 3 plastic cartons with 1lb (454g) of wax in each. Unfortunately that only *just* skims the minimum line, and you're advised to use more than that. It takes a good 2 kilos of wax. So having used it twice, I'm already going to have to buy a refill or two.

Lastly, it's not as big as I was expecting. It's a rounded oval shape and the internal dimensions mean that I have to dunk my hand in right to the bottom just to cover my hand (it won't do wrists). I haven't tried feet yet, but I doubt whether it would accomodate anything bigger than my own size 6s.

But overall it smells lovely and it does what I need it to. And it's good value if you tot up what you would pay to buy each item singly. Still can't give it a full 4 stars though.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 20, 2014 12:44 PM BST

HTC WILDFIRE S CASE CLEAR S.LINE ARMOUR GEL CASE
HTC WILDFIRE S CASE CLEAR S.LINE ARMOUR GEL CASE
Offered by SAMXOOMZ

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased, 23 Oct. 2011
Perfect for what I wanted. Adds a bit of grip while protecting the phone. Just enough tension to make it *slightly* difficult to apply, but then I don't want it falling off in my bag. And I *love* the price. It doesn't detract in any way from the look of the phone itself.

Nothing more to add other than - perfect.

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16