Profile for quillerpen > Reviews

quillerpen (London, UK)

Alone: The Triumph and Tragedy of John Curry
Alone: The Triumph and Tragedy of John Curry
by Bill Jones

4.0 out of 5 stars well researched - but where are the happy times?, 15 Sept. 2014
As a fan of John curry's from the early 1970s, I read Bill Jones book with interest as I had my own memories of many of the events that it covered.
I give the author top marks for doing his research - getting hold of John's letters and contacting many of the people who were involved in his life. However, I came away feeling that he was so determined to show John as a bleak, lonely and isolated figure that the picture he paints is a distorted one. No-one can spend all of their life feeling miserable, but Jones seems to gloss over the few references to when John was happy in order to concentrate on the darker aspects of his life. This view shows little of the kind, courteous and gentle man we used to see after his shows - the man who gave an old lady a free pass to the theatre for his Palladium show; the man who arranged for a friend and I to have returns for a gala he was in when he found we hadn't been able to get tickets.
I would have liked more about the artistic side of John's work and wish the author had talked more to the choreographers who had worked with John about how they found choreographing for skaters and whether they had gained anything from the exchange.
So, in terms that John would understand, I give the book a 5.2 for Technical Merit, but only 4.8 for Artistic Interpretation

TAKERS
TAKERS

4.0 out of 5 stars Fresh blood, 28 Sept. 2012
This review is from: TAKERS (Kindle Edition)
A refreshing new take on a genre which has become a bit hackneyed of late. Right from the start, the reader is drawn into Kel's dark and frightening world, and the writer uses her skills to make you see, feel and smell his surroundings with gritty realism.

The Fountains Of Paradise (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
The Fountains Of Paradise (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
by Arthur C. Clarke

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant visions, grounded in science and history, 25 Mar. 2012
I read this book when it first appeared, many years back, and it inspired me with a desire to visit Sri Lanka one day, to see the places mentioned in the book.
In this novel, Clarke combined his love of science with the love of the country he had come to call home. The idea of the space elevator is firmly based on hard physics (no transporter beams or other flights of fancy!).
I love the way that Clarke has interweaved the modern with the past. In the opening chapter, with the king in his palace and the monks on their mountain he conveys the timelessness and depth of history that Sri Lanka (thinly disguised as Taprobane for the novel) has to offer.
Even after many readings I can never read the passage where Morgan encounters the butterflies on the mountain without getting a shiver up my spine.
And last year I achieved my ambition to visit Sigiriya (the real-life Yakkagala) and see the places mentioned in the story for myself. Like the novel, they did not disappoint.

The Collected Stories (Vol. 3) (Unabridged Audiobook)
The Collected Stories (Vol. 3) (Unabridged Audiobook)
by Arthur C. Clarke
Edition: Audio CD

4.0 out of 5 stars worth every penny, 9 Jan. 2011
This collection carries on the splendid work of the first two volumes of presenting Arthur C Clarke's works in audio format.
Contents include -
Superiority
If I forget thee o Earth
The nine billion names of God
The possessed
The parasite
Jupiter Five
Encounter in the dawn
The other tiger
Publicity campaign
Armaments race
The deep range (short story)
No morning after
The reluctant orchid
The moving spirit
The defenestration of Ermintrude Inch
The ultimate melody

Century 21: Classic Comic Strips from the Worlds of Gerry Anderson Volume 2: v. 2
by Chris Bentley

4.0 out of 5 stars The future returns!, 30 May 2009
At one time (longer ago than I care to think about) Wednesday was the highlight of the week - that was the day the TV21 comic would drop though my latterbox.
I shudder to think that threw away these original comics (now worth a fortune) when I was 'too old' for such things.
Now they are back, thanks to editor Chris Bentley and publishers Reynolds & Hearn. In most cases the publishers have been able to use the original artwork, and the lines and colours leap straight off the page at you, giving you the action stories of Stingray, Fireball XL5, Captain Scarlet and Thunderbirds.
So whether you want these books to appreciate the art of Frank Bellamy, Mike Noble et al, or for the thrill of reliving your childhood, these books are for you.

Black Ice: Life and Death of John Curry
Black Ice: Life and Death of John Curry
by Elva Oglanby

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the book we need, 31 Dec. 2008
I bought this book when it came out, and, unlike the first reviewer, I can well understand why it was withdrawn.
I followed John Curry's career for many years and so much of what Miss Oglanby said I knew to be inaccurate, either from my own memories or from printed records of the events she described. So when she talked about events for which there was no evidence I was not inclined to trust her word either.
It was only partway through the book that I realised she had not included the recollections of anyone else involved on the events she was describing. A biographer who has talked extensively with her subject is off to a good start, but it is only a start. Where were the recollections of Carlo or Christa Fassi (who were both around at the time of writing), John's team mates and fellow members of his company or the choreographers who had worked with him?
I was left with the feeling that Miss Oglanby had written this book without stirring from the confines of her own sitting room and produced something that read like a badly written novel.
There should be a book written about John's life and career. But this is not it.
Comment Comments (11) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 17, 2011 1:38 PM GMT