Profile for Ann Looker > Reviews

Content by Ann Looker

Ann Looker "florencelooker" (Swansea)

Lord Is My Shepherd, The - And Other Motets (Ledger)
Lord Is My Shepherd, The - And Other Motets (Ledger)
Offered by ThePolarBear

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the English version, 14 April 2015
The cover is misleading. I specifically wanted "The Lord is my Shepherd" sung in English for a family funeral. The CD cover gives the title in English but the song is sung in German. Now I will have to download an English language version. I thought about returning the CD unopened (The back cover makes it clear that all the works are sung in German) but there's some lovely stuff on the disc. Besides, had it not been for the funeral requirement, the language would have been irrelevant to my enjoyment of the music.

DURAGADGET Black Genuine Second Class Leather Case & Cover With Flip Stand For Amazon's New Kindle Paperwhite, Wi-Fi, 6
Offered by GADGETPLUSUK

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a brilliant design and, 30 July 2014
My old kindle, one of the early keyboard models, recently gave up the ghost. It had a Duragadget cover which had become so worn that I had bought a spare. My keyboard Kindle was obsolete so I had to replace it with a Paperwhite. The old cover didn't fit the new Kindle. Hence this purchase. This is a brilliant design and, at less than half the cost of the Amazon equivalent, a great bargain. (My only regret is that my spare cover will have to be binned unless I can find anyone with an original keyboard Kindle) This cover is a must for anyone who, like me, enjoys reading at the table! Why isn't it still advertised with the other Kindle accessories on the Amazon website? Now you have to know about Duragadget to find it on the Amazon site. The one I bought almost 3 years ago for my original Kindle was easy to find in the Amazon Kindle store under "Accessories". Not any more.

The Ways of the Dead (Sully Carter 1)
The Ways of the Dead (Sully Carter 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read., 26 July 2014
I looked for more by this writer but then discovered it was his debut novel. An excellent read.

Switchblade
Switchblade

2.0 out of 5 stars A waste of money, 9 May 2014
This review is from: Switchblade (Kindle Edition)
I wish I'd read the reviews before buying this. I hadn't realised that it was just a short story. Moreover, the story itself was slight and not up to Michael Connelly's usual standard. A waste of money.

Duragadget Genuine Leather Case & Cover With Stand for Kindle 3 - Red
Duragadget Genuine Leather Case & Cover With Stand for Kindle 3 - Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Like it so much I bought it twice!, 8 Nov. 2013
I can't understand why this product is not listed by Amazon under "Kindle covers". Is it because Amazon is afraid of competition with its own overpriced covers? I have had a Duragadget cover since I bought my Kindle nearly 3 years ago. My old one is still doing fine but suffering slight wear and tear so I bought a new one now in case they are discontinued as the older Kindle models become obsolete. A well-designed, and moderately priced cover. Useful in pubs and cafes because you can prop your Kindle up while you eat and drink!

No Wake Zone (Last Exit Series Book 2)
No Wake Zone (Last Exit Series Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars A worthy sequel, 10 Aug. 2012
I agree with other reviewers that this is a difficult book to read in isolation. I was fortunate to have already read "Last Exit to New Jersey" before reading this one. I found this to be a most enjoyable read - so much so that I am eagerly awaiting the 3rd book in the series. Maybe the books should have been marketed as "Part 1" and "Part 2" since this is very much a conclusion to the events set in motion in the first book.

Devil's Orphans - No. 1 Ester Gray Thriller
Devil's Orphans - No. 1 Ester Gray Thriller

1.0 out of 5 stars For me, unreadable., 12 May 2012
I downloaded this on the strength of the praise that it has been given by some readers. However, reading it was like wading through treacle and I abandoned it half-way through. This book was, for me, a timely reminder that buying a book because the plot synopsis sounds good is simply not enough. A better writer could possibly have made something of the preposterous plot and characters but, as it is, the style was so immature as to make the book, for me anyway, virtually unreadable. When I taught English I got stuff like this from my 15 year olds. I was forced to read their work but, thankfully, I didn't have to finish this. I'm glad for the writer's sake that some readers enjoyed it but, out of the hundreds of books on my Kindle, this is the only one that has defeated me.

War and Peace
War and Peace

5.0 out of 5 stars Translators?, 12 Jan. 2011
This review is from: War and Peace (Kindle Edition)
I've read "War & Peace" many times in a variety of different translations. Each time it's like reading a different book depending on the translator. (The first translation I read was a nineteenth century version and it was quite heavy going) I am annoyed that the product description here does not include the name of the translator/s. I downloaded it yesterday on spec and read the first couple of chapters. I'm almost sure that it's the Aylmer Maude translation which was the Penguin version that I first read in the 1950s. I'm mentioning this for the benefit of other would-be readers who are curious about which translation they are downloading. This is one of my top 10 novels. Infinitely satisfying for anyone who enjoys family sagas and the sweep of historical events. Some people find the length off-putting and are bewildered by the opening chapters which introduce dozens of characters all at once. There is a helpful glossary in the printed version - don't know about the Kindle. Strongly recommended.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 30, 2011 5:15 PM BST

Watching: The Complete Second Series [DVD]
Watching: The Complete Second Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ Emma Wray
Offered by Revival Books Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars A sadly neglected series, 28 Feb. 2009
I have fond memories of watching this series years ago. I wondered whether it would be as good as I remember or whether I was simply wallowing in nostalgia. I'm glad to say that I wasn't disappointed. I can't understand why this excellent series is not being repeated on TV. I am hoping that the remainder of the series will also find its way to DVD. The latter episodes were even funnier than these early ones.

Veronica Mars: Complete First Season (6pc) (Ws) [DVD] [2005] [US Import]
Veronica Mars: Complete First Season (6pc) (Ws) [DVD] [2005] [US Import]

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for the young, 14 Jan. 2006
I am over 65 years old and I love "Veronica Mars". It is a marvellous show that would be sure to attract a wide following in the UK if only it were screened on a major channel at a sensible time. Instead, as usual with any show that has teenage protagonists, it has been shunted into the kiddie slot! This show has wit, pace, good characterisation and some terrific acting from its, mainly young, cast. Don't wait for British broadcasters to come to their senses - buy the DVD now. I've lent my DVD out several times and everyone has raved about it. This is one of my all-time favourite TV shows - and I've been watching TV since 1953 so have a lot to compare it with. If you are a teenager buy this DVD and lend it to your granny - you might never get it back!