Profile for LoveReading > Reviews

Content by LoveReading

LoveReading

Critical Perspectives on Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials: Essays on the Novels, the Film and the Stage Productions
by Steven Barfield

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for students, teachers and Pullman fans, 27 Nov. 2011
This is a hugely interesting read. I came across this book as a Pullman enthusiast primarily, but there are a range of essays within it to suit a variety of audiences. The chapters in the first section are especially good for anyone interested in young adult literature, such as teachers or librarians. I'm an English teacher and the book has been passed around my colleagues with great interest. Anyone who managed to see the amazing stage versions of the play at the National Theatre in London will enjoy the last section of the book. I'd recommend this book for anyone who has read and loved 'His Dark Materials', anyone who is interested in children's literature and anyone with an interest in literature and theatre. Of course, for die-hard fans this book is one that must be added to the collection.

My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece
My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece

1.0 out of 5 stars clichéd and Pretentious, 25 Oct. 2011
This book was a huge disappointment and I don't recommend it at all. I read novels of this genre by the bucketload; this is by far the worst one I have read in a very long time. The character of Jamie is clichéd and unimaginative and the writing style is utterly pretentious and almost unbearable to read at times. I have yet to meet a young person who has read and enjoyed this book. If you're interested in young adult fiction/children's literature, there are thousands of fantastic reads out there - My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece is definitely not one of them. Avoid.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 23, 2013 4:13 PM GMT

Oscar Wilde and the Ring of Death: Oscar Wilde Mystery: 2
Oscar Wilde and the Ring of Death: Oscar Wilde Mystery: 2
by Gyles Brandreth

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Read!, 4 July 2009
I came across this book after searching for 'Oscar Wilde' and bought it on a whim. It's a thoroughly enjoyable read, made even more interesting by the references to a number of real-life Victorian figures. As well as capturing the tone of the 19th century perfectly, the mystery at the heart of the novel is a great page turner and keeps you hooked until the very end. I've since read the first in the series and will also be purchasing the third as a summer read. A great book!