Profile for Jeremy Murfitt > Reviews

Jeremy Murfitt

Sea Kayak: A Manual for Intermediate and Advanced Sea Kayakers
Sea Kayak: A Manual for Intermediate and Advanced Sea Kayakers
by Gordon Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars Sea Kayaking by Gordon Brown - An Excellent Guide, 31 Aug. 2011
I have returned to sea kayaking after a 30 year break, some "sit on top" experience over the past 5 years, but now back to the real thing. Beside the dramatic improvement and choice of kayaks (I have just bought a Valley Etain) my skills were rusty. Gordon's book and DVD are a "must have" for anyone interested in sea kayaking.The quality of the book, the photographs and the DVD are excellent. Clear, concise and informative. I read it cover to cover and now find I refer back to it as necessary. In particular I find the DVD very useful when it comes to learning skills and strokes. One day I may be able to do a Bow Rudder or Cross Bow Rudder, Gordon makes every look effortless. The only point I would make is that there is little guidance on clothing. There are a lot of options and I would appreciate some guidance in this area. I understand that many authors are reluctant to give product endorsements but for many people the experience and knowledge of the experts is extremely helpful. Hopefully going to Skyak in September.

Oak-framed Buildings
Oak-framed Buildings
by Rupert Newman

5.0 out of 5 stars It's got me going !!, 20 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Oak-framed Buildings (Paperback)
Great book which is clear and easy to read. Fantastic photgraphy. I am going to build a green oak porch and wanted a book to give me an insight to what is required. With the help of a local Master Carpenter and Joiner I now have the design complete and timber ordered. The book has given me a good grounding into oak framed buildings and the inspiration to get building.

Jeremy - Loughborough

Canoe and Kayak Handbook: Handbook of the British Canoe Union
Canoe and Kayak Handbook: Handbook of the British Canoe Union
by Duncan Winning

3.0 out of 5 stars Informative but poorly illustrated, 31 Dec. 2007
I purchased this book as well as "Paddle your own Canoe" by the McGurrins (5* plus). Whilst the BCU guide covers many topics I was very disappointed by the layout and illustrations. I have just purchased a canoe having spent many years in sea kayaks. The caneoing section didn't clear guidance on stroke technique and pictorially demonstrate how it should be done. Buy "Paddle your own canoe" if you want clear concise instructions supported by very good photographs.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 5, 2010 11:46 AM GMT