Profile for Gazmatron > Reviews

Content by Gazmatron

Gazmatron

The Last Werewolf (The Last Werewolf 1) (The Last Werewolf Trilogy)
The Last Werewolf (The Last Werewolf 1) (The Last Werewolf Trilogy)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fang-tastic..., 24 Nov 2013
I've never been a fan of the Werewolf genre - until very recently. After reading MD Lachlan's superb trilogy I was on the lookout for something else to whet my newly acquired appetite for all things Werewolf. And then I stumbled onto this... My only previous experience of reading Glen Duncan was the excellent I, Lucifer (read it!) but nothing could prepare me for the utter joy of The Last Werewolf. If Albert Camus had written a Werewolf novel it probably would have been this. Existential horror with a huge slice of cynicism and a generous portion of dark humour. I devoured this novel in two sittings and immediately purchased the next installment, Talulla Rising. If you're tired of reading the same old crap and you're looking for something different to read - make it this. It won't disappoint.

Coldbrook (Hammer)
Coldbrook (Hammer)

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read..., 24 Nov 2013
I'm a big fan of Tim Lebbon - Echo City and Heretic Land are two excellent fantasy novels that are both wonderfully inventive and offer a new approach in an overly saturated genre. Coldbrook is no different. At first glance a run-of-the-mill Zom-pocalypse novel but delve a little deeper and you'll discover a whole host of fresh ideas to sink your teeth into (ahem). Parallel universes, religious zealotry and a sprinkling of Sci-Fi make this book stand out from the crowd. However, this novel is at it's weakest when Lebbon's voice starts to sound a little bit too much like Stephen King. Understandable, I know as King is a touchstone for this type of fiction - to the point that King seems to have become his own genre - but it's still a little disappointing due the strength and originality of Lebbon's other work. I'd still recommend this book to fans of horror and Sci-Fi (and not to mention Zombies) - it's overall a very neat piece of fiction. I'm looking forward to reading more of Tim Lebbon's work and hope that in the future he trusts his own unique voice.

The Heroes: Three men.  One battle.  No Heroes.
The Heroes: Three men. One battle. No Heroes.

5.0 out of 5 stars You have to be realistic..., 30 Oct 2013
I've been well and truly hooked on Joe Abercrombie since I read the first paragraph of The Blade Itself. Each of the following books have been a real joy to read - fast-paced, humorous, violent, dark, world weary, character driven fantasy. Heroes is no exception. It's meta-fantasy that's been mixed with a healthy dollop of cynicism and sprinkled with a liberal dash of philosophy. An Anti-War novel that somehow revels in the sentiment by depicting an awful lot of very enjoyable blood soaked mayhem. This is comfortably his best novel to date and if you're new to Joe Abercrombie I urge you to buy it now - and everything else he's written. They won't disappoint.