Profile for Phil Harry > Reviews

Content by Phil Harry

Phil Harry

A Thousand Plateaus: Capitalism and Schizophrenia (Continuum Impacts No. 21)
A Thousand Plateaus: Capitalism and Schizophrenia (Continuum Impacts No. 21)
by Gilles Deleuze

1.0 out of 5 stars Hollow Verbiage for Clever Boys, 30 April 2012
I bought this book hoping it would give fresh insight into capitalism, schizophrenia and other contemporary issues. Sadly it is simply a mass of hollow abstractions that were designed, I suspect, to demonstrate the cleverness of the authors rather to give a serious elucidation of contemporary world problems.I bet the only people who rave about this are boys [women never touch this sort of stuff] who also like squeaky jazz, never had to work with people labelled schizophrenic and have never had to do any manual work. If you have something worth saying it's possible to use clearer language. That is particularly important when you are raising questions about the meanings of concepts to do with politics, mental health and the way we construe the world.

However I must add that I did derive some pleasure from the book when I regarded it as a form of intellectual Dada. I found that I could take the basic vocabulary it uses and generate pompous metaphysical nonsense of my own. It was quite fun for a few sentences. But after a while I just had to get back to the real world.I've got to finish putting up my poly tunnel. I'm going to grow things I can eat in there. If you have time on your hands, don't read books like this. Go gardening instead.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 15, 2014 10:05 PM BST