Profile for Dandi Hays > Reviews

Navigating Teenage Depression: A Guide for Parents and Professionals
Navigating Teenage Depression: A Guide for Parents and Professionals
by Gordon Parker

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful insights, 1 Jan 2012
I found the layout of this book easy to read. I especially appreciated the many descriptions of depression that teenagers themselves gave - it gives useful insight into the many ways they suffer and cope. This would have been even more useful if I could have read it 5 years ago, when it became obvious that my child was suffering from depression.
Alas, the authors make clear how important appropriate intervention and treatment are, which seems to be more available in Australia than has been my experience in the UK.
I have rated this book 4 stars because you may well expect to find some advice on how to cope with your teenager's depression and suggestions on ways to approach things, but you won't find much. It does, however have useful facts about the incidence of depression in teenagers. It can be somewhat reassuring to know you aren't the only parents struggling with the problem.

3 x GU10 CREE LED LIGHT BULBS ENERGY SAVING 9W DAY WHITE ** 3 x 3W SUPER BRIGHT LED CHIPS IDEAL FOR REPLACING 50W - 60W HALOGEN BULBS **
Offered by Brightlightz

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!!, 31 Oct 2011
These are just as bright as the GU10 halogens 50W I have in my kitchen spotlights. Okay, so they are whiter than halogen, which seem yellow by comparison. I bought 1 to see what it was like and now I intend to buy 9 more.

Tefal By Jamie Oliver Clipso P4110769 Pressure Cooker - 6 Litre
Tefal By Jamie Oliver Clipso P4110769 Pressure Cooker - 6 Litre

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy a Tefal pressure cooker, 19 July 2011
I have used pressure cookers for 35 years, and thought the Clipso would be good because the closing mechanism would be gentler on the wrists, and it certainly is. However, it takes forever to come up to pressure and now that I've had it a few years and need a new seal I cannot get one ANYWHERE.I have contacted tefal, who have not replied, so I am about to buy a Prestige Smartplus 6L having found the 3L version I recently bought so good to use, but needing more capacity. Tefal Clipso was an expensive mistake.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 24, 2012 1:20 PM GMT

When Your Child is Bullied
When Your Child is Bullied
by Jenny Alexander

5.0 out of 5 stars a reassuring read for the distressed parents of a bullied child, 22 Feb 2007
When your child is the victim of bullies it is distressing. It brings up the most painful emotions of guilt, fear and anger. Jenny Alexander's book is full of empathy AND ideas to make life more positive for the whole family. As the parent you tend to wonder if it is something you have done wrongly for your child, but there is no blaming in this book, just lots of ideas to improve communication in and around the family. When we tried to ban 'moaning and complaining' in our house we all found it hard, but illuminating.. there are lots of ideas for engendering more fun for everyone and plenty of reassurance that the whole family can get through and beyond the experience of bullying.

Feel The Fear And Do It Anyway: How to Turn Your Fear and Indecision into Confidence and Action
by Susan Jeffers

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I had read it 20 years ago!, 19 Jan 2007
I had heard of this book often enough, but never read it. As they say when the pupil is ready, the teacher will appear. If you are really struggling with your life this book will give you heart, if you have been working on yourself it will remind you of all that you have learnt and prompt you to keep it up. So what is it all about? Firstly, it points out that everybody gets fearful, but that some people rise to the challenges they face more positively than others and so succeed in their lives, while others just seem to shrink, becoming more and more overwhelmed by everything. This book shows you how to turn your thoughts around to the positive, to switch off your inner nag and just get on with life. It isn't corny, it isn't gimmicky, but it is truly uplifting and calming, and it works. Last night my dishwasher broke and rather than get into a stew about finding the time to get it repaired and the expense etc as I would have done I just remembered ' I'll handle it' and got it sorted. This is a fairly trivial example, but those of us who are prone to worry and anxiety, are easily overwound by the most mundane things, so it is so good to have some tools to get life into the right perspective.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 19, 2009 7:54 PM GMT