Profile for A to Z > Reviews

Content by A to Z
Top Reviewer Ranking: 143

A to Z
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Burt's Bees 2016 Natural Cleansers Collection
Burt's Bees 2016 Natural Cleansers Collection

3.0 out of 5 stars Box damaged on receipt - 2/3 products great, 24 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was a bit disappointed on opening this to find that the box was damaged, probably as the apricot scrub is quite bulky for the box - I mention this first as it's a gift box, yet I wouldn't have been able to gift it to anyone - not an issue for me as I fully intended to use the two produce in the box I wasn't already familiar with, the scrub and cleanser, and replenish my stock of balm.

As expected the full sized contents are good. The balm is a refreshing peppermint and nicely moisturising. It's not tinted but is a great staple. The facial cleanser is oil based. You have to wet the face to use and it does remove the daily grime and make up well whilst smelling lovely. It leaves skin feeling soft. Personally I find the scrub a bit too abrasive - use with caution.
Overall lovely burts bees products but other gift sets in the range are better presented in sturdier boxes and probably slightly better value.

Waterpik WF-03 Cordless Freedom
Waterpik WF-03 Cordless Freedom

3.0 out of 5 stars Rather cumbersome and messy, 24 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is undoubtedly an effective way of removing the debris that can get stuck between teeth and on the gum line but it's big, messy and not that pleasant to use. On a plus it's easy to set up with battery and a good sized spout for filling with water. Instructions are minimal, but it says to use lukewarm water - I'm not sure about this as in British bathrooms the hot water tank doesn't necessarily provide water you'd want to drink. The reservoir does contain the right amount of water to get around your whole mouth. The water is pumped out quite quickly but not with great control - the button allows you two levels of flow.

To use it you have to lean over the basin and allow the water to dribble out of your mouth. It does work but I'd like more control and realistically the claim of travel is silly. I dislike the fact that it is powered by disposable batteries - this doesn't seem a cheap, environmentally friendly or efficient way of powering it and I wonder if Waterpik Waterflosser Cordless Plus WP-450 might not be a better option.

I do prefer this to tape floss results wise but it's not great to use - I've seen other reviews mentioning a Philips version being better and this this is probably an option I would explore rather than this which just isn't that brilliant to use.

The Great Grammar Book
The Great Grammar Book
by Kate Petty

5.0 out of 5 stars Grammar made Great, 24 July 2016
This review is from: The Great Grammar Book (Hardcover)
You wouldn't necessarily think that grammar could be fun - but this book makes finding out about nouns, verbs, adverbs and all the other basic grammar descriptors into child's play. There are flaps to pull, wheels to spin and, at the end, two interactive pages on punctuation and sentence form - you pull flaps down to make a sentence, a fitting end to this book which shows how language comes together to make sentences.

Each page is a feast for the eyes with touches of humour - who could fail to find a page where you flick over pictures to make strange body combinations fun and a memorable way of explaining adjectives? Things pop out of this book, literally - it does need slightly careful use but it's all clever and well designed, informative but also fun.

This is ideal for kids from about 7 to 10 in my opinion. Education wise this terminology is part of the new curriculum and this is a gentle introduction. My 9 year old, who was familiar with many of the terms already still enjoys this book. It would make a lovely present - treat of a book.

*disclosure* I was sent a copy for review purposes

Dinner Tonight: 200 dishes you can cook in minutes
Dinner Tonight: 200 dishes you can cook in minutes
by Lindsey Bareham

5.0 out of 5 stars This book feels in some ways like a return to another age - there are no ..., 23 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book feels in some ways like a return to another age - there are no artfully done photos of food or fancy pants ingredients, just recipes with the kind of ingredients most families will have, but with a contemporary twist. So it's yes to paella on a stick,olives and polenta feature (all easily found in all but the smallest of supermarkets these days); all the dishes are refreshingly manageable to your average cook without having stupidly long ingredient lists.

I love cooking, and cook family meals from scratch every day. For me this book is perfect for getting me out of a rut. The recipes are classified by different food base type - so eggs and cheese, vegetables, seafood, meat and puddings.I can tell already that the teriyaki meatballs, rice and wilted pak choi will become one of those food spattered pages to be found in all my favourite cook books and there's a wealth of vegetable and fish dishes I want to try too (hake with chorizo- yum).

I would dispute some of the timings of the recipes as being a bit optimistic - but even not being familiar with this author's recipes from the Times, she clearly knows her stuff and I like her style!

Prepare to be seduced by the power of the description and the actual results themselves, rather than being distracted by photos - something to please every palate, love it.

Rapesco A4+ Clipboard Foldover with Film Pocket PVC - Red
Rapesco A4+ Clipboard Foldover with Film Pocket PVC - Red
Offered by FiveBoys Stationery Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprised at how good this is - clipboard with front that flips over ..., 23 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Surprised at how good this is - clipboard with front that flips over the writing part, space for you pen to be stowed and a see through pocket for important stuff on the inside cover. Love it - ideal for school trips when you want to be able to look like you know what you are doing. Will be buying more.

Rapesco Single Hole Metal Wedge Sharpener (Pack of 20)
Rapesco Single Hole Metal Wedge Sharpener (Pack of 20)

3.0 out of 5 stars These are good for having in a classroom - they are a ..., 23 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are good for having in a classroom - they are a bit miserable though in all honesty - really quite thin and not that great to use - though they work well. A basic product at a good price - just no frills. Have been in use in my classroom for a while and not one has been half-inched - probably says it all! OK just not that exciting.

Vivid Imaginations Real Baking Chocolate Pen (Multi-Colour)
Vivid Imaginations Real Baking Chocolate Pen (Multi-Colour)

3.0 out of 5 stars Chocolate!, 21 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It's fair to say that baking and chocolate are both things the two nine year olds I tested this with adore - and this set is a lot of fun, with some limitations. Out of the box you will need to add two AAA batteries to the pen and also buy some chocolate as it's not supplied. You get a pen, instructions and three lots of moulds, 12 bags for icing, 4 nozzles and 4 lids for the nozzles in the box - not the huge array of things the box might suggest.

To make the chocolates we used some small buttons we had for chocolate fountain use and these worked well, but you could also break chocolate up. It's all bit messy as you have to melt the chocolate in little bags supplied and add to the "pen".

The three moulds are quite good as they include a good range of different designs, all of which work well in multiple colours. They fit easily into the freezer and, as per the instruction booklet they freeze solid within 5 minutes and can be easily removed, with the picture result. It's a real shame that it's a bit fiddlly for a small amount of chocolate that you can get in the bag. The pen is nothing more than a pusher attached to a button for the bag. It's a shame there is only one size of nozzle - this meant that the results were quite mixed, it's quite wide and I think it would be really difficult to use it on grease proof paper to pipe shapes - when we tried the letters of the girls' names were hard to do and rather thick and blobby.

We were pleased with the pictured results, however and the kids enjoyed making them. Our visiting guest said she would "put a set on her Christmas list" - it was fun. So why the three stars? Firstly I think for the rrp you don't get much in the box. Secondly it could be made and designed better and the fact that it doesn't include a storage box or any chocolate to use is a bit mean in all honesty. There can be no more than a couple of pounds components in the box.

It's a good toy but it could be even better with a few tweaks.

Snug Egyptian Cotton Flat Sheet, 300 Thread Count - Double, White
Snug Egyptian Cotton Flat Sheet, 300 Thread Count - Double, White

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite lightweight and perfect for sleeping under on sultry nights, 20 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Lovely bright white flat sheet which has washed well. It's got a slight sheen to it and feels really soft against skin. Quite lightweight and perfect for sleeping under on sultry nights. Quality well made item. Would recommend.

Nivea SPF 30 Kids Lotion - 200 ml
Nivea SPF 30 Kids Lotion - 200 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars I like the format of it - green spray until rubbed ..., 17 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Mine came in a bottle with a spray lid, rather than the bottle pictured, with a protective lid so it doesn't go everywhere if stored in a bag or suitcase. I like the format of it - green spray until rubbed in, handy to see where you've covered the kids already.

Smells pleasant, seems to stay put in water and good value in my opinion. I would tend to use 30SPF for my kids who are quite dark skinned, but for paler skin 50 might be better. Excellent for me.

Silentnight So Soft Pillow, White, Pack of 2
Silentnight So Soft Pillow, White, Pack of 2

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good pillows, 17 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been sleeping with these for a few days and mine, unlike the only other review so far (I will update) are really well filled and to the same amount throughout the pillow and a good level of softness, without being too soft. I haven't had to particularly shake or plump them at all.

Sleep wise they provide an excellent level of support for me and the inner, having carefully checked, isn't clumpy at all. I like the reassurance of them being hypoallergic too, and though I don't sleep directly on them (obviously I have a cover and pillow case on them) I do like to know that the cover is cotton. I haven't yet washed them - this can be where pillows fall down for me, but when I do I will update. For now I really like these pillows - they are excellent - my 4 stars reflects the rrp which is a little excessive but I've got no complaints about these at all.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20