Profile for Bookymum > Reviews

All the Birds, Singing
All the Birds, Singing
by Evie Wyld

5.0 out of 5 stars Faultless and beautifully written, 2 July 2014
This review is from: All the Birds, Singing (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Evie Wylde has clearly done a lot of research for this book, yet her writing is seamless and her descriptions evocative and finely drawn. I love her attention to detail and the way she weaves past and present together, building to an exciting finish. Loved it! Can't fault it!

This Is the Story of a Happy Marriage
This Is the Story of a Happy Marriage
by Ann Patchett

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational!, 28 Jan. 2014
A book of inspiration personal essays - I read this book slowly as I didn't want to finish it. Ann Patchett's prose is simple, but cleverly written. She has a skilful turn of phrase without over-writing or being too 'flowery'. After finishing the book I felt as though I knew her. I would definitely recommend this book.

Campingaz Quickbed Single Airbed
Campingaz Quickbed Single Airbed

1.0 out of 5 stars Total Waste of Money, 28 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Campingaz Quickbed Airbed (Sports)
Total waste of money. One small, spindly six year old child slept on this twice and then it went flat as a pancake, never to inflate again. Gone for landfill now. Rubbish!

This Is Where I Leave You
This Is Where I Leave You
by Jonathan Tropper

4.0 out of 5 stars Bookymum, 14 July 2013
I bought this book following a review on Amazon and wasn't disappointed. It's a light read, but don't mistake that for 'trash' because it's very well written. Funny (a bit over-laboured occasionally, but I won't hold that against it), clever and very well characterised for a book of this type. Great holiday reading - I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The Greatcoat (Hammer)
The Greatcoat (Hammer)
by Helen Dunmore

1.0 out of 5 stars Seriously?!, 10 April 2013
This review is from: The Greatcoat (Hammer) (Paperback)
It is so unfair that material like this gets published when there are some excellent writers out there who don't get a look in or whose work is rejected by publishers/agents because there is 'no market for it'. This so called 'ghost story' is thin, trite, cliched and badly written. 'He was bent over his cake, cutting it absorbedly'. Absorbedly! - you might see it in a year 10 English assigment (and cross it out!). Badly done, Ms Dunmore. Try harder next time.

The Butler's Guide: To Running the Home and Other Graces
The Butler's Guide: To Running the Home and Other Graces
by Stanley Ager

5.0 out of 5 stars Running a Household to Perfection!, 22 Feb. 2013
`I'm not a mop lover,' says Stanley Ager. `The best way to scrub a floor is on your hands and knees.' Reading Ager's tips on running a household wasn't just a fascinating insight into life below (and above) stairs in a bygone age, but surprisingly reminded me of so many little things my parents did around the house when I was a child, like always washing and polishing the quarry tiled kitchen floor by hand, pressing suits with a wet cloth and carefully dusting all the books once a month. Whilst some of these tasks have been rendered obsolete in this disposable, digital age, many of the hints (beautifully embellished by by Ager's anecdotes and memories) such as`telling a white lie' and advice on guests who outstay their welcome, are as relevant now as they ever were. In fact, I was prompted to make a list of many basic household tasks I have neglected to teach my own children, like how to pack a suitcase properly, lay the table for a dinner party and do the washing up - and I don't mean just loading the dishwasher! All in all, being reminded of `how it used to be' in Ager's warm, informative way made for a lovely winter afternoon's read by the fire and one I would thoroughly recommend.

Funfear (Wordtamer Series)
Funfear (Wordtamer Series)
by Judy Waite

5.0 out of 5 stars An 11 Year Old's Review, 21 Dec. 2011
I really enjoyed reading this book as it full of suspense. The author has really put in some twists that were completely unexpected. For example, I had never thought that the past would somehow connect to future - but I won't say any more because I don't want to give too much away. Reading all the tips about writing really made me want to write my own story. I highly recommend it!