Profile for Chris > Reviews

Akasa AK-170CB-4BLS 8cm Blue LED case fan
Akasa AK-170CB-4BLS 8cm Blue LED case fan
Offered by Vebox Direct Computing

2.0 out of 5 stars AWFUL build quality, but otherwise functional, 19 July 2013
Having ordered both this and 12cm fan I have to say these fans are AWFUL in terms of quality. The screws provided, as another reviewer highlighted, are absolute crap! Not only are there no proper screw holes (rather just 'holes'), the screws are made of some really soft cheap metal - you end up completely mashing the screw heads forcing the screws into the fan 'screw' holes.

Having completely mashed the screwheads (so these can't be removed) there's some terrible high-pitched whir, despite them being quiet. This may be down to the casing, I will report back!

Other than this, they are keeping PC cooler, I'm watching the temperatures climb slowly but they've yet to reach the previous 50 degrees they've been hitting in this unusually hot UK weather. Plus there's a nice blue glow I guess...

Portable Black Fold Up Barrel Bbq Barbecue
Portable Black Fold Up Barrel Bbq Barbecue

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but needs better packaging and level legs., 24 Jun. 2013
For the price can't go too wrong. Two grilling areas making for almost the size of a full BBQ. There one or two flaws- I found that with the combination of unpadded packaging and thin metal, it arrived with a few cosmetic dents and needed bending back in one place to seat one of the grills properly. Also, the BBQ doesn't stay level since the legs aren't equal length, which isn't very good.

Otherwise happy. Clips to keep the grills in place when packed away and foldable legs would make for a massive improvement, but for £25, it's OK.

Anjunabeats 10
Anjunabeats 10

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, 20 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Anjunabeats 10 (Audio CD)
Sad to see the direction Anjunabeats has taken, especially with their tenth compilation. IMO things have been getting less stellar each year and this just marks a point at which the label has gone to crud.

Think about three tracks caught my attention; Ronski's Sanity Dub, Stateside by Genix and Isla Margarita. Apart from that, I've never heard so much poop on one compilation. Sounds like a mess if you ask me; nothing about the rest of it is remotely 'creative'.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bargain, 15 Jan. 2013
You can't go too wrong for £3.50. That being said there's something slightly feminine about the shape of this tee, though I just put a hoody with it and that sorted things out. I think it might've been down to the shoulders not fitting quite right; I'm perhaps a little too broad for a medium since the shoulders are 'shaped' - though stretching it a bit helped.

Outside this the quality of the fabric is brilliant; it has a soft silky lightweight cotton feel. Overall satisfied for the price.

1.0 out of 5 stars EVIL NANO... THING., 10 Oct. 2012
Just been driven mad by one of these boxes - two hours and still no life out of it. Think mine might be a dud, couldn't seem to get to a setup screen without a timeout - even after setting up a static IP as the instructions requested.

No luck on either of my computers. Tried resetting it, unplugging it, using different browsers. Sometimes didn't even show up on the WiFi listings.

Stress levels at max right now.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 15, 2012 10:51 AM BST

4.0 out of 5 stars Working well for me :D, 24 Sept. 2012
I've been using Minoxidil for almost 6 months now - for me I've gone from a thin patch on the crown to a thin streak, so I'm more than happy to keep using this stuff. I'm guessing follicles are already dead along the streak since I've been thinning for a few years now.

Application is relatively painless though the dropper can be a little annoying if your hair is very short or long; with a close hair-cut I've found it runs off if not applied slowly and conversely the dropper gets tangled in long hair so the foam stuff is better if you don't go for a conventional men's haircut.

Generally I've found there's one singular annoying side-effect; itchyness. It's not bad enough to avoid use, but sometimes you'll feel like having a good satisfying scratch, which as far as I know, isn't great for follicles. Apart from this, there were one or two short-term side-effects; the first being that my hair actually thinned in the first few weeks and that my housemate noticed scalp redness along with.

All in all, this stuff is worth a go if you're anxious over losing your hair. Be sure to give it a good few months and expect some initial thinning if you try it. Oh - and a word of warning - these bottles leak if not stored up-right after you break the seal. A massive nuisance when traveling. Hopefully DS labs will fix this.

Radiopaq Custom Tuned Jazz Earphones
Radiopaq Custom Tuned Jazz Earphones

1.0 out of 5 stars A pair of earphones for the deaf generation, 27 July 2012
I'm pretty sure these are marketed for their clarity, all I can say is there is far too much of it. I couldn't believe how piercing the trebles were on these earphones - I practically deafened myself listening to them at just above normal volume for 20 minutes and ended up with a banging headache for the rest of the day. Haven't touched them since.

I'd recommend the EP-830, much better earphones for the money, think they're one or two pounds more but they're much less fatiguing on the ears.

Queer As Folk USA - Season 1-5 Complete [DVD]
Queer As Folk USA - Season 1-5 Complete [DVD]
Dvd ~ Gale Harold

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazing series, so-so transfer., 6 May 2012
QAF is one of the best series I've ever watched, so it's a shame that Warner Bros didn't do a better job of getting it over to DVD.

Transfers vary from season to season, the main problem being that there are just too many episodes crammed on each disc - 83 across 24 discs, most contain four and don't use the full capacity of a dual layer DVD. The end result is that episodes have a light caking of compression artifacts.

A good portion of the box set is also relatively grainy and a bit soft; the resolution is a little better on season 2 and 5 - the last season is the only to look almost perfect on that note with very little grain and a much cleaner picture.

I don't reckon this show will be getting a blu-ray release anytime soon so I'm a little disappointed, but for the £29.99 price-dip I picked this up at, I'm not too chuffed. Glad to finally own the series.

Sony BDVEF200.CEK Affordable 2.1ch 3D Blu-Ray Disc/DVD Home Cinema 350W, BRAVIA Internet Video Enhancer

2.0 out of 5 stars Hollow-sounding, otherwise a good package., 5 April 2012
We've had this in our living room for most of the evening and it's not a bad home cinema system, wouldn't say it's particularly spectacular either.

Since the speakers in our LCD TV were so poor we opted for this over a soundbar or 5.1 kit considering the price and that a 3D-capable Blu-Ray Player is included; along with the iPlayer functionality, YouTube, iPod, etc. it seems a bit like a steal really.

Whilst the speakers are of course a massive improvement over the LCD audio, they're a bit 'hollow' sounding. Like another reviewer noted, they're the same form-factor as PC-speakers, so they seem a little underwhelming. I'd recommend these as a 5.1 package, but as a 2.1 package, well, I reckon it's worth spending the extra dough for a better soundstage.

They're not terrible though. Highs are nice and clear, even if the mids do sound hollow - and the bass is quite something. The subwoofer is passive, and it keeps quiet a lot of the time, but when there's action - the bass sounds amazing; like that super low-frequency rumble when a car pulls in the driveway.

The Blu-Ray unit is cool; it has good reviews elsewhere. My only complaint is the XMB interface which isn't super-smooth to look at like on the PS3, but you'll only see it before booting a DVD or Blu-Ray.

Be aware that this system lacks a coaxial SPDIF (there's an optical, coaxial is in the next model up) and there's no center/rear connectors as an upgrade avenue.

Can't comment on the internet features yet; we haven't got a WiFi dongle or ethernet cable long enough, but I'll report back when the massive ethernet cable I ordered arrives.

*edit*
Our setup is still plagued by poor mid-range. The satellites themselves have small oval drivers that leave a 1.5CM gap either side, the permanent fabric grill stops you from seeing that most of a satellite unit is empty. In reality these satellites are probably weaker than smaller ones. Bass is still fantastic but the satellites themselves are boxy; lending to a cold 'tight' soundstage that feels like something is missing.

As we bought this for sound I'm changing my opinion on this system to avoid and taking the rating down. Sony, do a better job with your speakers next time. Might take this one back.

Samsung LE32C530 32-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p 50Hz LCD TV with Freeview (discontinued by manufacturer)

2.0 out of 5 stars This model uses different panels, 11 May 2011
Ordered one of the week before last, and I was a tinee bit disappointed to receive a unit which had minor backlight bleed.

Despite settling for it I mentioned it to Amazon, who immediately dispatched a new one (I didn't ask, but hey, great service!). The new one came today and they're now temporarily sitting next to each other with the default factory settings. I'm now faced with a dilemma:

One screen has noticeably poorer colour reproduction, worse viewing angles, but a completely uniform black backlight.
The other has brilliant colour reproduction, almost no viewing angle deterioration, but a vertical strip of backlight 'haze' next on one side of the panel.

Interesting.

It would seem, and as I was already aware of this, Samsung (and LG) are using different panels in their televisions. I realise this is probably to increase production, but still, I'm generally disappointed as a whole as I'm left to choose between a faulty TV and one with a poorer panel.

I've yet to decide which one I'll keep, and not that Samsung is remotely interested but, my opinion of them is low, and you guessed it - I won't be purchasing their products from now on. As for whether you get the perfect panel is a bit of a gamble but you might well be able to continually hammer Amazon until you get a good set.

I can't say whether this is the price to pay for purchasing a lower-end TV, but either way LCD technology is far from perfect, in my opinion. Still, using different panels isn't a good ethic, especially when Samsung are aware that some models are poorer than others.

And what about the TV? It's hard to come to conclusions when you've effectively got a completely different panel in each one... but the interface is good, the unit is sturdy, the speakers are good, albeit a bit boxy on high volume. It also looks pretty swish with a little glass trim at the base of the unit.

My verdict? Still 2/5 compared to my original review. If you have the money, go for a different brand altogether. Samsung don't deserve your money.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 4, 2011 1:47 PM BST