Profile for Maxi > Reviews

Dvd ~ Robert De Niro
Offered by AWentertainments
Price: 12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Poignant, 30 Jan 2013
This review is from: Awakenings [DVD] (1990) (DVD)
This factual story is one of neglect and ignorance in the early part of the 20th Century. Although I cannot compare the film with the book because I haven't read it, I found the film version very moving. Robert DeNeiro's performance as the patient affected by a rare form of Parkinson's desease was absolutely convincing. A very sad story right to the end.

Photo Plus 40.5mm Lens Cap / Lens Cover for Nikon 1 Nikkor J1 J2 V1
Photo Plus 40.5mm Lens Cap / Lens Cover for Nikon 1 Nikkor J1 J2 V1
Offered by Gadget Career
Price: 3.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Reliable, 30 Jan 2013
Since the lense cap came all the way from Hong Kong.... it took all but 3 weeks to arrive. I suppose one shouldn't complain when shipping it cost no more than 0.20 p for the sender! The lense cap itself is good value for money. No need to pay an inflated price for a branded article when this one serves the purpose. Only 3 stars for long delivery time.

Burma: River of Flavors
Burma: River of Flavors
by Naomi Duguid
Price: 17.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book, 30 Jan 2013
Apart from being a superb cookbook, this is a beautifully presented book with lots of delightful photos and description of Burma, its people and its food. I have tried a few dishes and found the recipes easy to follow. The writer knows how to translate an intricate recipe into a delicious meal. Often the writer leaves helpful little foot-notes for left-overs or alternative recipe ideas.
I'd love to try out peanut and rice porridge because it reminds me of congee breakfast when living in Hong Kong.
My summer dishes will be full of Far Eastern flavours, particularly Burmese...

A New Book of Middle Eastern Food (Cookery Library)
A New Book of Middle Eastern Food (Cookery Library)
by Claudia Roden
Price: 17.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fantastic!, 30 Jan 2013
Despite the absence of glossy food photos, this is one of the best cookbooks I have bought in a long time. The writer gives an interesting history of the recipes' origins, clear cooking instructions and helpful tips for spices and presentation of the dishes. No pictures required. A highly recommended buy for all exotic, oriental food lovers.

I Remember You
I Remember You
Price: 5.49

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 30 Jan 2013
This review is from: I Remember You (Kindle Edition)
I ordered the book on my Kindle and have since deleted it because of its very poor translation. In my mind the book is almost unreadable. Sorry.

The Essential Nigerian Cookbook: Cooking Off the Beaten Track: The 12 Ultimate Nigerian Recipes
by Bola And Olu-Kmi Komolafe
Price: 9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars A non-essential cookbook, 23 Jan 2013
Disappointing...
A nicely presented, thin, mainly vegetarian cookbook for beginners who want to learn how to prepare very basic African dishes, such as fried plantain, yam, ocra or cassava. The 12 recipes are simple and easy to make.
Unfortunately, the recipes lack any meat or fish dishes. When I lived in Malawi my houseboy made a delicious African chicken in a roasted peanut flour sauce. When I bought this cookbook, I had hoped to find a Nigerian version of this dish. It would have been helpful to mention the absence of meat and fish dishes in this booklet to avoid disappointment.