Profile for John Walker > Reviews

Content by John Walker

John Walker (Portland, UK)

Prokofiev: Symphony No. 5 (The Year 1941/ Symphony No. 5
Prokofiev: Symphony No. 5 (The Year 1941/ Symphony No. 5
Offered by nagiry
Price: 8.50

1.0 out of 5 stars Inaccessible format, 5 Mar 2013
Why bother to advertise this as containing high quality music when I cannot play it on a standards-based PC playback system. Waste of time and money.

Physics of the Future: The Inventions That Will Transform Our Lives
Physics of the Future: The Inventions That Will Transform Our Lives
by Michio Kaku
Price: 6.99

1.0 out of 5 stars I've never felt so patronised, 6 July 2012
When I spotted this, I couldn't wait to get hold of it and get stuck in. But what a disappointment! The blurb leads you to expect insights into how fundamental scientific research can shape and change humanity's future, from someone who is notionally at the forefront of modern science. Instead of examining and giving insight into humanity's aspirations, ongoing research and, most importantly, the fundamental problems that have to be solved, the author sidesteps every single important issue. The book is a superficial and slapdash list of research projects without telling the reader anything about how likely that project is to answer the problem and move mankind forwards. Facile, disappointing and a complete waste of money. If you have any grasp of science or technology, avoid like the plague and look elsewhere.

Genuine Original Lexmark colour xl and black xl ink cartridge for X2690 / X3690 / X4690 / X5690 / X6690 Z2390 / Z2490
Offered by OfficeClearance/OUR-PRICE-20%-UK VAT INCL.
Price: 87.38

1.0 out of 5 stars Lexmark 4XL and 5XL printer cartridges, 29 Jun 2010
This relates to the X4690 printer, and others that use these cartridges. I wish the wife had never bought the printer - I'm ditching it for a HP and get my money back on the cartridges after the first refill. Lexmark has the worst approach to looking after its customers I have seen in 35 years of dealing with computers. You do not buy the ink, you licence it; and when the internal programming decides that you've used enough, then it stops working. You can't buy remanufactured cartridges, or clones, or refill these yourself, so you are stuck with buying new cartridges, at up to 30 a pop. How short-sighted a business model is this? Hope that they go out of business soon. Having installed it, I discover that Lexmark do not support Linux, so half my computers cannot use the printer at all.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 15, 2012 6:20 PM BST

Lexmark #5xl Inkjet Cartridge - Assorted
Lexmark #5xl Inkjet Cartridge - Assorted
Offered by OfficeClearance/OUR-PRICE-20%-UK VAT INCL.
Price: 42.50

1.0 out of 5 stars Lexmark 5XL printer cartridge, 29 Jun 2010
Wish the wife had never bought it, so I'm ditching it for a HP - I'll get my money back on the cartridges after the first refill. Lexmark has the worst approach to looking after its customers I have seen in 35 years of dealing with computers. You do not buy the ink, you licence it; and when the internal programming decides that you've used enough, then it stops working. You can't buy remanufactured cartridges, or clones, or refill these yourself, so you are stuck with buying new cartridges, at up to 30 a pop. How short-sighted a business model is this? Hope that they go out of business soon. Having installed it, I discover that Lexmark do not support Linux, so half my computers cannot use the printer at all.

Live At The Vortex
Live At The Vortex
Price: 14.37

5.0 out of 5 stars Rock hard jazz - original, exuding respect for the music's roots, 21 Mar 2010
This review is from: Live At The Vortex (Audio CD)
A great piece of contemporary live jazz improvisation. Having come to jazz over the last 10 years, I had pretty much given up on hearing anything made after about 1968 that wasn't a turn off. But Julian Siegel Live At The Vortex is a modern, new, and vibrant update on the great hard-bop/avant-garde sax players like Sonny Rollins or Jackie McLean - fiercely original, but you can still hear the blues roots clearly. Worth the price for the great twisting and turning around the familiar tune of Ray Charles's 'One Mint Julep' alone

Nine Dragons
Nine Dragons
by Michael Connelly
Price: 15.33

1.0 out of 5 stars Implausible behaviour - does Connelly need the money?, 15 Jan 2010
This review is from: Nine Dragons (Hardcover)
I've been a fan of Michael Connelly's police procedurals and his hero Harry Bosch for a long, long time, but I found myself deeply disappointed with Nine Dragons. The book starts on familiar ground with a killing in South LA. When the investigation reveals Triad involvement, and Bosch gets a message that his daughter is kidnapped, we are asked to accept our hero transforming from a careful, experienced investigator into a rampant madman, and the plot becomes a breakneck, episodic quest, as if Connelly was trying to outdo Dan Brown at his worst. Travelling half-way around the world, Bosch, tripping over clues and bodies, is able to track down the kidnappers in a way and a time-frame that defies belief. Having created a body count that approaches double figures whilst achieving his objective in under twenty four hours, we are asked to believe that an experienced police officer would choose to leave Hong Kong clandestinely, destroying evidence without any regard to the investigation that must inevitably follow. And to believe that all this mayhem has happened so fast that he is allowed to board (and leave) his return plane without question.

When the HK police arrive a few days later in LA demanding answers, Connelly tries to convince his readers that a few lawyerly words from Micky Haller and the threat of a negative newspaper article will be enough to send them packing. Sorry, I really do not buy that. Nor do I buy a character that can be motivated on the one hand to commit such deeds to save a thirteen year old daughter, then forget that he has to pick her up from a psychological examination less than a week later. I'm equally unconvinced by a hero who is old enough to recollect his Vietnam service, yet is able to work non-stop for 36 hours (or more), then take a 15 hr flight from LA to HK without sleeping, conduct 18 hours(or whatever) of mayhem in HK and only notice that he's hungry and possibly might look a little dishevelled when he gets to HK airport for his return flight.

I'm still trying to figure out how the hitherto slick, taut, Connelly machine allowed a sloppy, unbelievable story and a main character with such massively inconsistent behaviour to appear in print. I can only conclude that Connelly is desperate to create a script for an action movie.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 12, 2012 4:27 PM BST