Profile for I. D. Mcguigan > Reviews

Content by I. D. Mcguigan

I. D. Mcguigan "Niterider" (UK)

Wyatt Earp [DVD] [1994]
Wyatt Earp [DVD] [1994]
Dvd ~ Kevin Costner

5.0 out of 5 stars Very satisfying story telling, 4 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Wyatt Earp [DVD] [1994] (DVD)
I liked Tombstone but I loved this film. It just seems more authentic, the story telling is more intelligent and the scope of the movie more satisfying.

You need to allow the film to bring you in, short fast thrills are not what this film is about. By the end you will be hooked.

Great cast who work well with the material, a gritty realistic approach which cuts no corners.

For me highly recommended.

The Expendables [DVD]
The Expendables [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sylvester Stallone
Offered by Qoolist

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun Movie, 10 July 2012
This review is from: The Expendables [DVD] (DVD)
This for me is a four star movie but I have rated it 5 as so many, obviously not action fans, have marked it as 1 which is ridiculous.

It is fast paced, visceral nonsense of the good kind and wastes a couple of hours really well.

No need to think or analyse, just sit back and let it wash over you and you will have a great time.

Cross
Cross
by James Patterson

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great, 27 Sept. 2007
This review is from: Cross (Paperback)
Like many I have followed the Alex Cross novels with enjoyment and interest. He is one of the top charactor creations in this genre in my opinion.

However James Patterson, I believe, needs to spend a little more time on the Alex Cross novels. He is an undoubtedly hot author but this book compares unfavourably against the initial books in the series.

A lot of readers were looking forward to this book, one of the key enjoyments of previous novels was the relationship content between Alex and his family and with Sampson which allowed the reader to get a greater profile of Alex Cross through this plot dynamic.

These relationships are underutilised in Cross and also the Butcher as a charictor is under drawn.

It is a good and enjoyable read and I would recommend it, just not as good as I was hoping for.

Relentless
Relentless
by Simon Kernick
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not that good, 28 Jun. 2007
This review is from: Relentless (Mass Market Paperback)
Have just finished this book, I thoroughly enjoyed it but I don't think it is worth 5 stars. The writing and phrasing can be a touch pedestrian.

The author writes a good story, but quality of writing vs a John Sandford or Peter Robinson is not nearly as good.

Well worth a good quick exciting read.

The Unit - Season 1 - Complete [DVD]
The Unit - Season 1 - Complete [DVD]
Dvd ~ Scott Foley
Offered by Discs4all

4.0 out of 5 stars Military action excellent, WAG action a bit Melrose Place, 10 Jun. 2007
I really enjoyed this series and I am not usually one who goes for Military action drama. The build up to and the action sequances themselves are very well done and you get very involved in the dilemmas which are not always straight forward.

The writer being David Mamet you would expect some thought provoking situations and this is what you get, you find yourself asking moral questions along the way.

The series has two elements the above based around an elite squad of soldiers going on various missions, usually abroad and the wives and girlfriends at home.

The WAGs part is not so well written and comes across as a bit contrived and worthy, sometimes you feel you are being preached at with American home values etc. The acting is universally good however. Would recommend Mamet sticks to the military/political stuff and maybe they bring in another writer for the rest to balance out the show.

I would throughly recommend it as it is several steps up from a number of American Series. It is not West Wing or Boston Legal, but it is better than the CSI's, Prison Breaks and OCs of this world.