Profile for jlight > Reviews

by Anton Strout
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: 4.77

1.0 out of 5 stars Massive disappointment, 19 Nov 2013
Love the Simon Canderous books and so had high hopes for this new series-until I starting reading the first one. Everything the author gets right in the "Dead" stories he seems (at least in my humble opinion) to get wrong in this book. The characters are stereotyped, one-dimensional and difficult. The story lacks depth, humour and seemingly revolves around mysterious men in robes trying to kill the main protagonist. I have to say I can't remember being so disappointed in a book. Please bring back Canderous and send this load of hardcore to the recycling centre

The Ruins
The Ruins
by Scott Smith
Price: 6.62

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, 1 Jun 2011
This review is from: The Ruins (Paperback)
Now I've read some of the great reviews on the site and as a result bought and read this book. I have to say however that in my humble opinion it is without doubt one of the worst books I have ever read. To me it reads like an adaptation of a pulp 50's "Amazing Tales." I stayed with it, hoping for redemption, but when I finally finished I felt that I had wasted part of my life. If you liked it great, but for me the whole thing is simply dire.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 4, 2012 1:48 PM BST

The Good, the Bad, and the Undead (Hollows)
The Good, the Bad, and the Undead (Hollows)
by Kim Harrison
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: 5.39

1.0 out of 5 stars copycat fiction, 1 Aug 2005
464 pages and not an original idea in any one of them. If you are a fan of Jim Butchers' Dresden Files' then just imagine taking the characters and plots of this fabulous series, thinly disguising them with some ideas borrowed from similar authors like Simon Green. Then remove all the humour, originality and 'feel' of the genuine articles. That will leave you with this book. If you think Ms Harrisons writing is good then I urge you to read Mr Butcher and Mr Greens' work. You may well find her storytelling skills somewhat lacking.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 20, 2009 3:32 PM BST