Profile for John Wayne > Reviews

Content by John Wayne

John Wayne "Gamehead" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Crown of Renewal (Paladin's Legacy Book 5)
Crown of Renewal (Paladin's Legacy Book 5)
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent reading, 27 Jun 2014
I can only regret that I,ve finished reading this novel, as like so many of Elizabeth Moons books, it thrills through to the final pages. Her books are well written, with great detail and realism of characters and her plot lines shine through from one series to another with little or no error. I,m sad that this appears to be the last in this collection, starting with "Sheepfarmers Daughter" so many years ago, but having said that it's far better to finish with a great story not a disappointing one! I have been a strong fan for many years now and will look forward to seeing what the author's next novel will bring?
Well Done Elizabeth Moon!

Operation Breakout: Merkiaari Wars 4
Operation Breakout: Merkiaari Wars 4
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Aliens 0 - Humans ( think of a number then multiply by .........), 17 Jun 2014
Good stuff, well worth reading if you enjoy scifi novels. Lol the 'Merki' seem to have similar characteristics (politically?) to Stargate's Goauld, enslave or exterminate any species they meet. Of course that seems likely to stop now the Humans have been discovered....Damn, we're good!

Princess Rescue Inc
Princess Rescue Inc
Price: 1.91

5.0 out of 5 stars epic, 31 May 2014
Strong story, strong characters entwined in a (believable) plot that uses, for the most part, everyday methods and common sense. I found the storyline to be totally absorbing, and enjoyed the everyday trials and tribulations characters suffered(?) , all of which added to the the plots veracity. Possibly not everyone's taste and with a few OTT sex scenes should be rated at 15+ (at least), but I would highly recommend this book and if there is (Author hinted) a second novel, then I hope the author puts the same effort into it as he obviously did with this one!

NanoStrike
NanoStrike
Price: 2.41

5.0 out of 5 stars thrilling action/adventure, 25 May 2014
This review is from: NanoStrike (Kindle Edition)
After a slowish start the story started to gather speed until it rocketed through the finish line, what a ride! Great storytelling, fast paced action, tech war with a hint of romance for a sweetener. The story and characters were good, the plot was intriguing without being confusing and the techno jargon was kept at an understandable level. This is a good solid action/adventure read which will not disappoint.

PortaPow Crystal 4.2A USB Universal Charger
PortaPow Crystal 4.2A USB Universal Charger
Offered by PortaPow
Price: 13.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 19 May 2014
Extremely fast delivery, well packed. Product has 4 (yes, 4) connections for iPads,iPhones etc. each connection has it's own led to confirm it's charging, led switches off when unit fully charged. One of the connections, clearly marked ' ipad fast' does just that. Although I haven't tried a full charge test yet my initial check from about 50% to max seemed very fast although I think this only works if you have no other units plugged in at the same time? Together with the multi adaptor ability, enabling unit to be used in many other countries this makes it 5* for me.

The Trojan Horse
The Trojan Horse
Price: 1.84

3.0 out of 5 stars Amusing, 19 May 2014
This review is from: The Trojan Horse (Kindle Edition)
I know that scifi and fantasy are often linked but this book is pure fantasy, it could never happen! Don't misunderstand me I enjoyed reading it, it's well written, interesting and exciting. However unless your under the age of twelve it's impossible to accept the plot as, in any way, creditable. Throughout the storyline there are events occurring and decisions made all of which can ONLY happen in a book, thus leaving the reader unable to 'believe' in the story, which for me is central to my overall enjoyment of a novel. This is, essentially, a long comic with no pictures and although it's fun to read it's not up to the standard of the authors other novels.

Jethro: No Place Like Home (Wandering Engineer Jethro's tale Book 3)
Jethro: No Place Like Home (Wandering Engineer Jethro's tale Book 3)
Price: 1.83

5.0 out of 5 stars Top reading, 19 May 2014
I have been addicted to this series from the first novel onwards, excellent storytelling with a strong core plot progression throughout the individual novels. The author has done a great job, however, of managing many strong characters through the various books without losing sight of the main character 'The Engineer' who in many of the books only appears in a few chapters, albeit crucial ones! I have really enjoyed this exploration of the secondary (in many novels) characters and being able to follow their lives as affected by the ups and downs of the plot line. Space battles and combat are not everyday events and when they do happen, can be disappointing, as the descriptions are brief and have little depth to them, certainly not in the same league as Weber (Honor Harrington series). Having said that I would not let it stop me reading the next book when it comes out. Keep em coming!!

A Learning Experience
A Learning Experience
Price: 1.84

4.0 out of 5 stars Roaring good space opera, 15 May 2014
A solidly good read, albeit a bit predictable in places. Much of the story (too much) dwells on the main character's thoughts and personal development, which I felt dragged attention away from the main plot, although many may disagree? The final chapter was a gutwrencher in my eyes and could/should have been better thought out as it leaves so many gaping holes in the storyline. However as I started this review I,ll end it by saying that I found it difficult to 'put down' and apart from the two points mentioned, enjoyed it immensely. YES let's have a sequel please.

6 Months of Game Time : EVE Online [Game Connect]
6 Months of Game Time : EVE Online [Game Connect]
Price: 49.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Epic failure, 13 Mar 2014
Should have been simple, didn't work, support enquiry gave me a response of " don't know try it again" . By the time I received this ludicrous response I had already logged on to " eve-online" directly, entered my details, paid and was playing the game. I suggest that's the best route to follow for anyone considering playing.

Grey & Tan Buckle Series Suede Leather Smart Case for The New iPad Air (5th Generation released November 1st 2013) with Full Sleep Wake compatibility
Offered by Purplemoose007
Price: 9.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality/value, 13 Mar 2014
My first iPad Air case having just fallen apart (literally 😡) I looked for a replacement on amazon, having researched several different styles, sellers and brands of cases/covers I saw this product which looked very nice and then had to check twice when I saw the cost, which frankly is unbelievable!! To good to be true I thought, but with little to lose ordered one anyway. 2 days later my post arrived and amazingly my new cover (including FREE screen protector) was in my hands. Initial look and feel shows the cover to have, apparently, excellent manufacture and material quality and I am confident that it will last for years, not months (like the previous one) and would go so far as to say it definitely offers better protection for the iPad itself.
Have no doubts if you are considering purchasing this item the quality and value are excellent. The only possible problem is that it does not close the iPad down when closing the cover, but it's not a "smart" case so for me I have no regrets with my purchase and dealings with the sellers. Many thanks for a great case at a great price😎

Page: 1 | 2 | 3