Profile for M. Millar > Reviews

Content by M. Millar

M. Millar "M Millar" (Bradford, UK)

Collins English Dictionary : Complete and Unabridged
Collins English Dictionary : Complete and Unabridged
by Collins

5.0 out of 5 stars A dictionary's a dictionary, 6 July 2005
I think a dictionary's a dictionary, but this edition does have lots of new words, and a nice cover. What more do you want?!

Collins Robert French Dictionary
Collins Robert French Dictionary

5.0 out of 5 stars A dictionary's a dictionary, 6 July 2005

The Government and Politics of France
The Government and Politics of France
by Andrew Knapp

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for reference, but boring to read!, 6 July 2005
This book was recommended on my course at university for a French society and culture module, it was very useful when it came to writing the essay at the end of the course, but I tried reading it before then, and it was just too much. When I knew which topic I had to look at, I just looked relevant words up in the back, and read the relevant passages, which worked very well for me. If you're looking for an interesting read, this isn't it.

One Thing Leads to Another
One Thing Leads to Another
by Jamie Holland

1.0 out of 5 stars Dire!, 31 Aug. 2003
When you read the blurb on the back of the book, you think, well, ok, so far, so good. Then you start reading. The characters are unrealistic, and when Jamie Holland tries to add a bit of life into them, you don't like them. And in the end, you don't really care what happens to them, whereas I think that in a good book, you do care. It seems to me that Mr Holland has read a good few of these young-people-in-their-mid-twenties-do-crazy-stuff books, and has decided to try and get a slice of the pie. However, it's just not good. A friend of mine has read it and she shares my opinion, the idea's good, but the spark just isn't there and you feel nothing for the characters. Sorry Jamie!

PDQ Russian
PDQ Russian
by Katerina Burgess
Edition: Audio CD

2.0 out of 5 stars Russian is difficult!!!, 27 Aug. 2003
This review is from: PDQ Russian (Audio CD)
Russian is really hard going if you've never learnt it before, like me, the alphabet is totally different (obviously!), but I think it would have been handy if they went through the alphabet on the CD, which they don't do. The CD's very repetitive, which is good, at some points, but then all of a sudden it will whizz through 30 or so words, which can be quite confusing. Also, it just expects you to pick up how to read Russian whilst listening to it on the CD, which is extremely difficult; as I have said, they don't go through the alphabet. The course book is quite small for the four CDs the pack includes, so this is definitely more for tourists or those wanting to know just a bit of basic Russian, I don't think if you're wanting to know it in great detail that this is the pack for you.
The book is nicely laid out, with English on one side and Russian on the other, and despite what I've said, it does go into further depth the further you get, but it's just crossing that first hurdle!