Profile for D J W Smith > Reviews

Content by D J W Smith

D J W Smith "necro_mortis"

Karrimor Mens Bodmin Mid lll Weathertite Trekking and Hiking Boots K603-LMK-159 Light Mink 11 UK, 45 EU, 12 US
Price: 33.98

3.0 out of 5 stars These boots are brilliant, as long as you don't plan on walking too far, 5 Jun 2014
I've said almost everything I wanted to in the title, but in summary I first got a pair of these boots in march. When they turned up I was thrilled. They were great looking and so comfy to wear. I didn't waste any time setting out, and have to say for about the first three weeks they were excellent. However, I soon noticed holes had appeared in the soles when in the middle of a long, wet walk. I contacted Amazon and to their credit they were brilliant, they sent out a replacement pair within hours. I thought maybe the previous pair may have been a duff one and so gave these second ones a fair try, but alas, the holes are back. Now, I do a fair bit of walking, but I expect a decent pair of walking to last more than a month. So I'd say, excellent for the casual, fair weather walker, not so good if you go a long way often.

Bodylastics 12 pcs Resistance Bands *MAX TENSION Set (96 lbs.) with 5 anti-snap exercise tubes, Heavy Duty components, carrying case, and 3x4 ft wall chart with over 100 exercises
Offered by Bodylastics International
Price: 34.63

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product for a great price, 12 Aug 2013
I was really pleased with this product. The only thing I wasn't keen on was the DVD. It's not particularly good, but gives you ideas for your own routine.

We R Sports Old School Protein Shaker Bottle - Green
We R Sports Old School Protein Shaker Bottle - Green

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty darn good, 12 Aug 2013
It is a cup. It holds my protein shake and has a thing inside that helps break up the powder. It has a firm stopper. It does not leak and is easy to clean. Do you really need more?

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars It's not a trap, 12 Aug 2013
Washed it a few times and it's kept it's colour well. You need this in your geek t-shirt arsenal. Tidy

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon [DVD] [2001]
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon [DVD] [2001]
Dvd ~ Yun-Fat Chow
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 2.73

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 8 Nov 2005
I love this film, simply for me because it is beautiful.
The fight scenes are breath-taking, the musical score is so haunting (using the Cello to great effect) and the story-line is one long roller coaster ride of twists and turns.
Anyone who dismisses it because of the flying sequences is probably unaware of the wirework used in a hell of a lot of martial arts movies.
I have never found the dubbing a problem for the simple reason that I watch it subtitled in mandarin, otherwise it loses it’s genuine feel, it seems that in most films the transaction from eastern to western is not a happy one. It seems we take great pleasure in changing the voices to sound ‘wacky’ and entertaining, in most cases the most inappropriate voice actors are chosen and key parts of the plot are missed out. It seems that we can’t cope with a complex storyline if we can’t read what the cast are saying, surely your brain couldn’t take it? So the people who put the effort in to read the subtitles are rewarded with the ‘true’ film, I must admit, I always watch Asian films with subtitles, how can you not like the sounds of the language being spoken?
Anyway, the film for me is totally legendary, one of a few more recent martial arts movies I have enjoyed.

Interview With The Vampire -- Special Edition [DVD] [1994]
Interview With The Vampire -- Special Edition [DVD] [1994]
Dvd ~ Brad Pitt
Offered by Leisurezone
Price: 5.75

5.0 out of 5 stars An interview with a vampire, a masterpiece if ever there was, 8 July 2004
This truly is one of my all time favourite films.
There is a copious amount of vampire films out there and some of them are beyond words they are so bad. There is no effort in them, the acting is terrible and it fails to interest with the storyline. This could not be further from the truth for An interview with a vampire.
It is an amazing film in the way it draws you on. You feel constantly absorbed in the storyline and compelled to watch more. Tom Cruise is excellent, even though I am not a fan of his more recent films. It is what I now judge every Vampire film by as it sets the standard in my opinion, a real must for Vampire enthusiasts.

Eight Legged Freaks [DVD] [2002]
Eight Legged Freaks [DVD] [2002]
Dvd ~ David Arquette
Offered by gowingsstoreltd
Price: 6.86

4.0 out of 5 stars Eight Legged Freaks - Overview, 23 Feb 2003
Eight Legged Freaks is a film about, strangley enough, spiders. This film, in my opinion, gives you all that you expect and more. Its well paced, in places creepy and funny. Its not its cheap joeks that make it funny but the predictability and fake look which was what the director obviously aimed for, this becomes clear with the much less than perfect CGI.
Its a film that is made of the typical sci-fi storyline basics. Theres a hero and a heroine who fall in love, a goofy character (a cop), a kid who seems to know more than everone else does about whats hapening and a cool black dude.Theres even a cat that kicks the bucket early on. And then of course theres the whole nuclear waste spill infecting spiers and making them grow 80 times thier original size thing.
This film is for you if you enjoy sci-fi comedies that have no seriousness at all but do make you laugh, even if it is just at the CGI spiders. If you like this film, evolution is a must.