Profile for Jim, History, Music and Art Addict > Reviews

Content by Jim, History, ...

Jim, History, Music and Art Addict (Glasgow, United Kingdom)

Paintings of Claude Monet
Paintings of Claude Monet

2.0 out of 5 stars Variable quality, 29 Aug 2011
I was really disappointed when I first opened this. The reproductions of early pictures are terrible - mostly grossly overexposed and washed out. All that lovely Monet colour lost! The later pictures are reproduced reasonably.

Sony ICF-S79V Weather Band Shower Radio
Sony ICF-S79V Weather Band Shower Radio

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job!, 22 Sep 2009
The radio is easy to use, even when your hands are covered in shampoo! FM reception in the shower is good. Sound quality is acceptable, but not outstanding.

Iran (Lonely Planet Country Guides)
Iran (Lonely Planet Country Guides)
by Andrew Burke

5.0 out of 5 stars How guide books should be!, 12 Nov 2008
I'm writing this from Dubai Airport on the way back from my first but not, I hope, my last visit to Iran. I was in Kish Island (disappointing) and in Shiraz and Persepolis (absolutely wonderful). I found the book really helpful, practical and accurate. The Iranian people are every bit as warm hearted, open and hospitable as the book suggests. They, like the Americans (another people I love), are saddled with an idiot as a leader - though we can hope that may change in January in the US! The Iranians are much more outspoken on politics than I expected. Several people said to me that they hope that the Iranian elections next year will produce a leader (ie not Ajhmedinejad and his cronies), who can move forward with Obama. If you love hospitality, curiosity, fun loving people and magnificent history (or any combination of these), Iran is the place for you.
I'm going to buy another copy of this book. I left my first copy with our delightful Iranian tour guide who liked it a lot but can't yet get a copy.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 28, 2009 3:37 PM GMT

Soldier of Rome: The Legionary:A novel of the Twentieth Legion during the campaigns of Germanicus Caesar
by James Mace

3.0 out of 5 stars Good story, spoiled by proof reading errors, 6 Aug 2008
The story is a strong one and generally well told, though character development is limited. The Americanisms mentioned in other views are a bit irritating but the main spoiler for me was the poor proof reading - mispellings (not even correct for US spelling!) and uncorrected syntax.
However, I enjoyed it enough to want to read more books in the series.

The Good German
The Good German
by Joseph Kanon

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful and thought provoking story, 11 Feb 2004
This review is from: The Good German (Paperback)
This book has a murder investigation as its theme, but like all good crime books, that is a device to explore bigger themes. They don't get any bigger than in this story - what is guilt; why does a civilised society get sucked into genocide; does the justice of the victors obscure the real crimes because it is heavily influenced by self interest? These are just a few of the issues raised by Kanon. He addresses them using believable and varied characters. Many of the "baddies" are people you would enjoy meeting while many of the "goodies" have major flaws or past history which is very suspect.
I enjoyed this book more than most I have read in recent years. This is my first review on line - I've written it because I got such pleasure from this book!