Profile for Mrs. JulieM Mason > Reviews

Content by Mrs. JulieM Mason

Mrs. JulieM Mason

Page: 1 | 2
Exile & Pilgrim: Being the Second Adventure from the Chronicles of Jeniche of Antar

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect armchair adventure., 5 Nov. 2013
What could be better than tucking one's feet up, and snuggling down into a favourite armchair in anticipation of the perfect fantasy adventure? Mr Talboys does not disappoint. As with his previous tale of Jeniche the story rattles along, gathering tension wrapped in exquisite prose. The armchair is soon left behind as I am drawn in, looking nervously over my shoulder from time to time.
Yes, I certainly enjoyed Jeniche's second adventure. I heartily recommend it: it is a pacy, well written novel; pure escapism.

Dragon Keeper (The Rain Wild Chronicles, Book 1)
Dragon Keeper (The Rain Wild Chronicles, Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars utterly absorbing, 23 July 2013
'Dragon Keeper' lived up to all my expectations of another Robin Hobb fantasy. One immediately empathises with the main characters and is plunged headlong into a world of beautiful and dangerous creatures. I can't wait to start the next in the series.

The Twelve
The Twelve
by Justin Cronin

5.0 out of 5 stars A worthy successor to 'The Passage', 3 Feb. 2013
This review is from: The Twelve (Hardcover)
The breadth and depth of this novel is astonishing; I was totally immersed into the lives and characters of the people, and devastated when it all came to an end. Came to an end? I can't wait for the next one? Think this is an over the top review?
JUST READ IT !!!

WWF 15cm Plush Panda
WWF 15cm Plush Panda
Offered by * The Game Monkey *

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Panda, 22 Nov. 2012
This review is from: WWF 15cm Plush Panda (Toy)
Lovely gift for a panda lover,it has such an appealing look in its eyes.Soft and cuddly, my daughter will love it, even though she is forty one!

Stealing Into Winter: being the first adventure from the chronicles of Jeniche of Antar
by Graeme K. Talboys

5.0 out of 5 stars Delivers on all aspects of a good fantasy novel., 26 Sept. 2012
Along with Jeniche, I was catapulted into this adventure, dodging dodgy characters and blazing buildings. As the authour leads her away on her journey his prose draws us into the landscape and wraps around the reader until I was living in his imagined world. From the scorching heat to the bitter cold, Graeme's descriptive language is a delight; the snow flakes become almost tactile; the raging river's roar, deafening.
Jeniche totally captivated me, the depiction of her strength and frailties painting a portrait of a very realistic young girl doing what she can to survive. Mystery builds, why is she being pursued, who is so desperate to find her? Frustatingly I'll have to wait for the next part of the chronicle to find out.
For a rollickingly good fantasy adventure, set in a beautifully painted world, I cannot recomend this book more highly.

Thin Reflections
Thin Reflections

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book I've read for a long time, 10 April 2011
This review is from: Thin Reflections (Paperback)
This is a beautifully written story that gripped me from start to finish. Charlie, the young protagonist is finely drawn and I empathised with her from the first page. Talboys' prose is poetically deep and flows effortlessly along, taking the reader from the reality of the blitz and the desparate search for a beloved Nan, to elusive memories and dreams of things that might or might not have been. This is a story of the fight for survival in a child's small world that is being terrifyingly destroyed around her.
His descriptive narrative is so dense I could picture in my mind every little detail of Charlie's surroundings; either in reality or in the dreams and memories that she fell into.
This book will go onto my 'To be read again' shelf.
It is brilliant: put it on your wish list.

Going Postal [DVD] (2010)
Going Postal [DVD] (2010)
Dvd ~ Richard Coyle
Offered by skyvo-direct

4.0 out of 5 stars A good adaptation of Pratchett's book, 27 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Going Postal [DVD] (2010) (DVD)
A good, close to the book adaptation.It's always a delight to see a cameo of the great man. Well cast and very entertaining.

Ivory Effect Chinese Buddha Seated
Ivory Effect Chinese Buddha Seated

5.0 out of 5 stars Jolly Buddha, 14 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Ivory Effect Chinese Buddha Seated
My daughter requested a Buddha figure for Christmas and this one was perfect. It has an authentically 'aged' appearance and is lovely to touch.
Julie

Delia's Kitchen Garden: A Beginners' Guide to Growing and Cooking Fruit and Vegetables
by Delia Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Gardening book for beginners, 14 Jan. 2010
I bought this book for my daughter at Christmas as she is planning to grow her own veg, and she loved it. It is very comprehensive and easy to follow for a beginner, with the added bonus of Delia's recipes. An excellent book.
Julie

The Steel Remains (Gollancz)
The Steel Remains (Gollancz)
by Richard Morgan

1.0 out of 5 stars shallow and boring, 4 Oct. 2009
The opening pages are full of promise, offering imaginative depth and inroducing an intriguing character. Then it is a steady decline into pedantic tracts of history, puntuated by outbursts of extreme graphic violence and sex. The three main characters were badly drawn and I just could not empathise with any of them. I persevered for as long as I could, mainly to find out what happens at the end. But with only 100 pages left to go, I gave up; I no longer cared. The shock factors work, maybe a tad overdone,but there is no back up to support them. It's like picking out lumps of hot mustardy beef (yum) from cold thin custard, (yeuk).
Read Joe Abercrombie or GRRM they are masters of violent medieval fantasy with complex, unforgettable characters. I'm glad I only borrowed 'The Steel Remains'from the library and didn't waste money buying it.
Jules.