Profile for KndIrl > Reviews

Content by KndIrl

KndIrl "villipauli" (Helsinki, Finland)

Pattern Magic
Pattern Magic
by Tomoko Nakamichi

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 4 Feb 2013
This review is from: Pattern Magic (Paperback)
This is a book for advanced skills...and I am not there yet. The descriptions are not clear for beginners but there is a sense that if you tried it, it would fall into place. I will be using the first pattern as a basis for a men's shirt, actually.

The pictures and explanations are inspiring, motivating and give hope. That is the power of this book for me. Well worth the investment.

The Lean Toolbox for Service Systems
The Lean Toolbox for Service Systems
by John Bicheno

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good overall, 4 Feb 2012
This book is comprehesive, and covers a wide range of tools. Do not make the mistake (I made) of thinking it is a manual for implementing lean. It is a toolbox - don't use all the tools in your toolbox to fix a bookshelf - just the ones you need. :)

A resource to go back to, when wanting to go deeper or review what you've done from a different perspective, using a different tool.

Making Trousers: How to Achieve Great Results
Making Trousers: How to Achieve Great Results
by David Page Coffin

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality and clarity., 14 Oct 2011
I enjoyed Coffin's "Shirtmaking" and was hoping for an easy way out for trousers. Basically, this book provides insight, examples, and techniques that show the way for amateur, home-sewers. It did not give me an easy way - because there isn't really an easy way. But it does give me the confidence to try, learn, and try again. That's what I like about his books, and it's the reason I'll buy more of his titles. His approach encourages me to do more.

-knd

Shirtmaking: Developing Skills for Fine Sewing

Human Action: A Treatise on Economics (4 Volume Set)
Human Action: A Treatise on Economics (4 Volume Set)
by Ludwig Von Mises

5.0 out of 5 stars Challenging, enjoyable, and foundational., 14 Oct 2011
If only more people would take the time and make the effort to work through this book, without prejudice, it would add to the quality of our political and economic discourse. Friends of mine, who study economics, have dismissed it without reading it because of what they mistakenly believe the author to represent.

As we implement lean management processes at work, I have found the foundations of this book to be useful tools and concepts for helping my operational staff understand why we are eliminating waste. All of us are taking actions, and the analysis is to what degree those acts will result in the end we are seeking. Basically, "Are you going to get what you want by doing that?"

In light of the U.S. debt, the housing crash, the Greek default(s), the banking crisis and bail-outs, consumer debt/spending, etc., I feel that this book is relevant and important now (again).

-knd