Profile for Dave Cuthbert > Reviews

Content by Dave Cuthbert

Dave Cuthbert "Male Viewer" (Scotland)

Yesterday Returns - Episode One  (a short story)
Yesterday Returns - Episode One (a short story)

1.0 out of 5 stars Short story is a bit of a misnomer, this is a very, very, very short story for 99p, 2 Mar. 2012
It is quite possible that there will be legs on the second, third and subsequent books following this one.
However I won't be buying them.
Not because the writing wasn't readable, but because this one was incredibly short, and took me about 15 minutes to read it.
It left me feeling "done", as I think I could get far better value for my 99p elsewhere.
I don't know who the reviewers were before me, and I'm not sure that I read the same book.
I don't know how you can make a movie out of what would normally be a chapter.

Guardian of Time (Prophecies Dystopian Trilogy Book 2)
Guardian of Time (Prophecies Dystopian Trilogy Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read - cannot wait for the final part of this trilogy, 2 Mar. 2012
This is a well written book, well worth picking up to read.
It explores the concept of remote viewing with a few additional twists.
The idea that the World is being taken over by faceless bureaucrats more and more will strike many cords with the reader.
Buy it and read it.

GroundTies ('NetWalkers: Original Series Book 1)
GroundTies ('NetWalkers: Original Series Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Hard to get into, 28 Nov. 2011
I bought this book on the basis of 8 rave reviews.
I have persevered to the 18% mark, but have finally given up.
The book introduces complex themes and uses a lot of meaningless words from the beginning, without explanation of what or who they might be.
For example "NetDB", "DataDiddler", "minicalc", "addendize the annex order", "Proglmp key", "the way he played Galactic Gargoyles", "RecHall"... That's from the page I reached.
As far as I am concerned the book fails to flow.
Why is an admiral involved in this stuff?
Where is it going?
I don't know I gave up in the end.

The Frozen Sky
The Frozen Sky

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 5 Nov. 2011
This review is from: The Frozen Sky (Kindle Edition)
I downloaded this book because of the high review mark awarded by previous reviewers. However I was disappointed by the book and wanted to warm others of the shortcomings before they buy it.

The first disappointment was the length of the book, which was one of the shortest I have ever bought. It's not a book, it's a short story.

I also found the story somewhat confusing to begin with and by the time I was catching on, the book ended.

I have to say that I found the concept of building a ghost from someone's stored memories an interesting one, however I found the fish to be a bit fishy, and it felt the story crashed to an ending like this review.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 26, 2011 11:43 AM GMT

Swarm (Star Force Series Book 1)
Swarm (Star Force Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book, 25 Feb. 2011
This is a brilliant book, fully believable and well written. No wasted space and gripping to the extent I couldn't put it down.
A follow up series would be terrific.

Tertiary
Tertiary

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read, which loses its way part way through, 23 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Tertiary (Kindle Edition)
This book starts really well, with a solid story line over the discovery of a hitherto undiscovered species of dinosaur.
It develops this, well and was gripping until approximately two thirds of the way through, where the story line gets confused between the rebirth of dinosaurs after 65 million years and the apearance of super space ships.
The reborn dinosaurs appear to me to have no useful part in the plot of this book (but then maybe they are for a future book?).
It felt to me as if the first part of the book took a long time to put together and the last bit was thrown in to meet a copy deadline.
The plot thereby suffering.