Profile for Philip Johnson > Reviews

Content by Philip Johnson

Philip Johnson (Newcastle-under-Lyme, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Something's Going On
Something's Going On

5.0 out of 5 stars FRIDA CERTAINLY HAS SOMETHING, 2 Mar. 2016
This review is from: Something's Going On (Audio CD)
Frida's first English solo album was a complete departure from the familiar ABBA sound but an excellent solo release which still sounds great after all these years. Title track is excellent and quite a huge hit for Frida around the World and it performed very well in the US charts as well as being ver popular in the UK at the time. 'To Turn The Stone' is pure magic and Frida's version of 'You Know What I Mean' is beautifully sung by one of the greatest singers of the greatest group ever. I have CD's of Frida's Swedish music and her first English language CD is well worth a listen. Great work from a lovely lady.

Hello, I Must Be Going! (Deluxe Edition)
Hello, I Must Be Going! (Deluxe Edition)
Offered by MediaMerchants

5.0 out of 5 stars HELLO .... A MUST HAVE PURCHASE, 2 Mar. 2016
Fantastic classic album that I am proud to own a long with the other deluxe editions of Phil's back catalogue. Never a big fan back in the 80's but now a Phil Collins convert. Just proves that musical taste can change over the years and now I appreciate what an excellent artist Phil is. The CD's are placed in a double fold out tray and the outer covers are top quality. Superb collection all with extra CD of live tracks and demos. Welcome back Phil

Dance Into The Light (Deluxe Edition)
Dance Into The Light (Deluxe Edition)
Offered by MediaMerchants

5.0 out of 5 stars Dance Into The Light .... away from the winter blues, 2 Mar. 2016
Only received two days ago and have played this brilliant CD non stop. I have only recently listened to Phil's deluxe editions and was pleasantly surprised. Loved his production on Frida's 'Somethings Going On' and I decided to investigate his own work. I am now a new PC fan & love the reissues to date. This particular CD is so uplifting and has various styles and I can hear a little influence of Paul Simon on one track. Every track is just pure magic to your ears. Get out of the winter blues and 'Dance Into The Light'.

Going Back
Going Back
Offered by Rikdev Media

5.0 out of 5 stars Ain't Too Proud To Buy, 25 Feb. 2016
This review is from: Going Back (Audio CD)
Only purchased this CD out of interest having purchased the first two deluxe editions recently released Have to say I absolutely love this extended edition and having loved Motown from my teenage years this was a trip down memory lane. Great album and Phils versions of 'Papa Was A Rolling Stone ' 'In My Lonely Room' 'Standing In The Shadow of Love' are superb. Also I was pleasantly surprised with 'Do I Love You' and 'Going Back'.. Pure treat to my ears and soul. Go on .....treat yourself. Phil Johnson

Faithful
Faithful

5.0 out of 5 stars I'LL BE FAITHFUL TO DUSTY, 4 May 2015
This review is from: Faithful (Audio CD)
I have recently been building up my collection of original CD albums by the one and only Dusty, after only having the various 'Best Of' collections. 'Dusty In Memphis' lived up to it's reputation as being one of the top albums of the 60's. Having listened now to 'Faithfull' all the way through now on three occasions, I really don't know why it has taken so long to get the full album released. I personally love the title track and the whole album is just pure class. Just listen to Dusty's version of 'You've Got A Friend' and the fantastic 'Haunted' ;'All The Kings Horses' has a motown feel to it and then just when you think no more surprises, the beautiful 'Nothing Is Forever' floats through the speakers and sounds like a lost gem of the 50's . A lovely album worth the money and highly recommended.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 4, 2015 12:07 PM BST

Dusty: The Very Best Of Dusty Springfield
Dusty: The Very Best Of Dusty Springfield

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute magic from the Greatest female singer ever to emerge from the UK, 11 April 2015
Absolute magic from the Greatest female singer ever to emerge from the UK. Just listen to the velvety vocals on 'Goin' Back' and 'If You Go Away' ... just pure class. I was only very young when I first saw and heard Dusty on 'Top Of The Pops' and was mesmerised by her stage presence and interpretations of these classic songs. It made no sense when the hits were less frequent. However, the pure gems of the 60's are certainly here. 'I Only Want To Be With You', 'Son of a Preacher Man' 'I Close My Eyes & Count To Ten' and the magnificent 'You Don't Have To Say You Love Me'. It was a pleasant surprise that Dusty re-emerged with 'What Have I Done To Deserve This' and 'In Private'. Treat you ears to some of the best music of the last four decades. Sadly missed but remembered with much love. Phil Johnson

Getting Over The Storm
Getting Over The Storm
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars UB40 CONVERT, 8 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Getting Over The Storm (Audio CD)
I have never owned a UB40 CD in my life as my friends wife used to play 'Red Red Wine' constantly in the early days which drove me ma (ha ha). However I do love reggae and country so I was intrigued by this release. To my surprise, the songs recorded here are excellent versions and I have not stopped playing this item. There is not one track i dislike and love 'Blue Eyes Crying In the Rain' and 'Crying Time'.
Through buying this CD I then bought Ali's latest and love that too. I am 59 and during this last month, I have purchased almost every release of both UB40 and Ali's solo work and have now been converted into a UB40 fanatic. How much I have missed out on during the 80's. Look forward to the deluxe editions coming out soon. High recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars THANK YOU FRIDA FOR YOUR MUSIC, 2 Mar. 2015
This review is from: 1865 (Audio CD)
It is great to hear the vocals of the wonderful FRIDA again after such a long time. Whilst this song will not set the charts on fire, it is a lovely melody sung in an understated way by a superb vocalist. Nothing compares to Frida;s fantastic Swedish album from 1996 but this is a piece of music released by two good friends in order to raise funds for children's chartiy. This follows on from Frida's solo outing of 'Morning Has Broken' and 'The Sun Will Shina Again', Please FRIDA record a new solo album for your fans to celebrate your '70th' Birthday later this year.
You look stunning and whenever I hear your voice, your come across as a caring, genuine and gracious lady. Your true fans love you dearly.
Welcome back ... you are missed. Life long fan Phil Johnson

New Eyes (Deluxe Version)
New Eyes (Deluxe Version)

5.0 out of 5 stars NEW EYES FOR NEW EARS, 2 Jun. 2014
Never heard of Clean Bandit before, then I discovered them via Amazon. Went onto You Tube to discover more and just totally adore this album. Once of best, uplifting CD's I have purchased in a while. Treat yourself to some sophisticated dance music that will lift your spirits. The deluxe edition is well worth the extra to obtain the excellent DVD. Excellent music and I feel this group are going to be massive.

Phil R J

Abba Gold Anniversary Edition
Abba Gold Anniversary Edition
Offered by Acfun Store

5.0 out of 5 stars ABBA GOLDEN YEARS, 8 April 2014
As a massive ABBA fan from the very beginning, I have collected every CD ever released, and although I have the previous issues of both ABBA GOLD & MORE GOLD, I just simply had to have this latest release to complete my collection, along with the deluxe edition of WATERLOO and the import from Japan ABBA 40/40. To those who may not be too familiar with some of tracks on CD 2 MORE GOLD, this collects together all the singles that did not appear on ABBA GOLD, along with superb album tracks such as 'Eagle', 'The Visitors' (one of Frida's standout tracks),' When I Kissed The Teacher' (could have been another hit single back in 1976) had it been released. Frida shines on 'When All Is Said & Done' & 'Cassandra'. The very last recording as a group 'The Day Before You Came' should have been a massive hit at the time, but interest in the group was beginning to fade. Onto CD 3 'B sides', I have to admit that one or two tracks should have been omitted and replaced with other gems, but just listen to Agnetha's vocals on 'I've Been Waiting For You' (one of her best performances on record). Other superb tracks in my opinion are 'The King Has Lost His Crown', Andante, Andante' 'Should I Laugh or Cry' which all feature lead vocals by Princess Frida & 'Kisses of Fire' & 'Soldiers' featuring Agnetha. One of their most unusual tracks is 'The Piper' which was featured on the album 'Super Trouper'. If you are a genuine fan, just buy it and celebrate with ABBA for 40 fantastic years of golden classic pop music. Congratulations to Agnetha, Bjorn, Benny & Annifrid & thank you all for your contribution to the world of pop music. I personally would love to see compilation double CD featuring Agnetha on one CD & Annifrid on the second CD. Suggested title 'As Good As New'. Sometimes I could listen to the golden tones of Agnetha & at time I love to hear Frida with her perfect vocals. Two of the best vocalist ever along with two of the best songwriters ever. Phil J ************
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 26, 2014 10:33 AM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3