Profile for Streetmentioner > Reviews

Content by Streetmentioner

Streetmentioner "Streetmentioner" (Lincs, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Close Up: The Autobiography
Close Up: The Autobiography

5.0 out of 5 stars A really good autobiography, 11 May 2016
I found this very inspiring and moving. There's so much more to this girl than just a pretty face. She's had her share of heartaches but you'd never know it from the way she always has a bubbly smile for the camera. I wish she'd been given more acting breaks but I guess when you've made your name on Page Three and all the lads mags you're bound to come up against sniffy prejudices. I thought she was great in School for Seduction. It is clear however, that Kelly is a clever and shrewd businesswoman who has control of her own image rights. The only thing that puzzles me is how she has struggled to find the right man. She admits she likes a rogue and maybe therein lies the problem. Of course, we only see what she wants us to see but quite why any guy would cheat on her is mystifying to mere mortals like me. She got pilloried for admitting she punched Jason Statham in the face but I say he deserved it. The 'if it had been the other way round' argument is ridiculous. He's a tough guy - if it had been the other way round he'd have broken her nose or jaw. She was just showing how much he'd let her down. A good read.

The Endless River
The Endless River
Offered by NextDayEntertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars A sublime way to drift away, 10 Nov. 2014
This review is from: The Endless River (Audio CD)
A beautiful, fitting way to call time on a glorious career. The cover says it all - floating on clouds, heading off into the sunset. This is mostly ambient music, which I love, but will disappoint some. For me it is perfectly apt for the final album. Pink Floyd have said everything they wanted to say and this is just a reflective farewell wave. Gilmour and Mason have said that much of this was recorded twenty years ago and was originally intended as an ambient second disc for The Division Bell so it isn't just some new idea that has popped out of left field. Personally, I'd long ago accepted that Pink Floyd had called it a day so this is a lovely leaving present that provides some closure and I'm so happy to have it. Thanks for everything guys.

Lenovo Yoga 8-inch Tablet (Silver Grey Metal) - Tablet (Quad Core 1.2GHz, 1GB RAM, 16GB eMMC, WLAN, BT, 2x Camera, Android 4.2)
Offered by Retail-ABC - VAT Registered

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning device, 9 Nov. 2014
I've had several tablets, including iPads and a Nexus 7, and this is the best one yet. It is that good. The built-in stand is genius and the battery life means you can actually dare to use the thing unplugged for a while, unlike the shocking Nexus 7. If you read a lot of reviews of this tablet you will find they are generally unfavourable, nearly all of them saying it is poor value compared to the Nexus 7. Let me tell you, that is pure bs. I wonder if Google has been offering reviewers "incentives" because, owning both tablets, there is no doubt in my mind that this wipes the floor with the Nexus. Battery life, cameras, SD card slot, kickstand - it trumps the Nexus in just about every way. Some reviews say the graphics resolution is poor. What nonsense! There are laptops using this resolution. On this size screen it looks stunning. Side by side with a 1900 pixel display you might be able to discern a difference but on its own the screen looks gorgeous.

I've paired my Yoga with an Apple wireless keyboard (aesthetically a match made in heaven!) and a bluetooth mouse and it is almost as good as a laptop. At the current discounted price this thing is a steal.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 15, 2015 10:38 AM GMT

Missee Lee (Swallows And Amazons)
Missee Lee (Swallows And Amazons)
by Arthur Ransom

5.0 out of 5 stars Reading it forty years later it is still good fun. The world has changed a lot since ..., 4 Nov. 2014
It's a Ransome. What more do you need to know? I envy anyone who hasn't read it. When I was nine years old it was the most magical adventure I had ever come across. Reading it forty years later it is still good fun. The world has changed a lot since these books were written but these are classics which I would mention in the same breath as Robinson Crusoe and Treasure Island and I feel sorry for anyone whose childhood passes by without discovering them.

Gach Sgeul / Every Story
Gach Sgeul / Every Story

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical music, 29 July 2014
Sublime. Reminds me of Sissel a bit. Doesn't matter if you don't understand the language. When Enya sings in Irish or Sissel in Norwegian it just makes their voices sound all the more magical and that is what I found with this album. A big thank you to Nicola Benedetti for getting Julie to guest on her latest album otherwise I may never have discovered her.

Zagg Folio Hinged Case and Back Lit Bluetooth Keyboard for iPad Mini with Retina Display/iPad Mini - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars ... being a little on the expensive side but I'm delighted with it, 20 July 2014
I took a bit of a punt on this with it being a little on the expensive side but I'm delighted with it. It really does give a laptop feel to your iPad mini and functions as a case and stand as well. The build quality is good and the keys have a good size and action - they are almost identical to the keys on my Samsung laptop but just spaced a little closer together. The killer feature is the key backlighting, which is adjustable in brightness and colour. Yes, colour. I didn't see anything about that in the product spec and just assumed it would be blue as in the photo but you can change it to red, amber, green, violet, cyan or white. That is really cool and classy. You do indeed get what you pay for.
I haven't had it long enough to comment on battery life but it charged up pretty quickly. If you predominantly use your iPad in portrait mode you'll need a bit of a culture shift. Also, some apps only work in portrait but these don't tend to be ones that need keyboard input. If you prefer to read ebooks in portrait that's fine - it actually feels quite natural holding the whole unit like that, a bit like holding a real hardback book.
I've had several wireless keyboards including Apple's own, and I'd say this is the best of the lot overall. If you do a lot of typing on your iPad it is worth considering.

Light And Shadow: The Best Of Vangelis
Light And Shadow: The Best Of Vangelis

5.0 out of 5 stars THE compilation to get, 29 Jun. 2014
There are a confusing number of Vangelis compilation albums. If you only ever buy one, make it this one. Whoever put this set together has a real feel for what the man is all about. Chariots of Fire has been mercifully omitted for once. The tracks that are on here are from several albums and soundtracks, including some obscure ones, but they blend together beautiful. It makes good background listening for when you are working but for best results immerse yourself with good headphones and a darkened room.

A particular highlight for me is the hauntingly beautiful Rachel's Song from Bladerunner, with sublime vocalising by Mary Hopkin. Chill out music doesn't come at a more perfect temperature than this.

The Common Linnets
The Common Linnets

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Quality music, 12 May 2014
This review is from: The Common Linnets (MP3 Download)
This is why I sit through three hours of circus mayhem called Eurovision. There's nearly always a diamond to be found in there somewhere. All the fuss may have been about the bearded lady but this act came second and deservedly so (actually they deserved to win it). From the first note you were hooked by genuine musicianship and quality. Calm After The Storm was my clear winner and it was purely about the music, not making some kind of statement. I had no hesitation in buying the album, despite this not being my favourite musical genre. It doesn't disappoint. Quality tracks throughout. This is well crafted and well played. I suspect these guys have probably spent some time in the US. You would certainly think that if you did not know they were from the Netherlands. I hope they have a big future.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 27, 2014 12:11 AM BST

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant gadget, 7 Nov. 2013
What a gorgeous bit of kit this is. I was looking to replace an old pedometer and stumbled across this and its a revelation. It's small and light and the display is lovely. Unlike the old lcd displays you can actually see this one in dark or murky conditions (the flip side is that it's harder to see in bright sunlight).
You set it up via PC software so if you don't have a PC you're stuffed. Would've been nice if it had bluetooth and an iPad app as an alternative but hey, this is already a lot of tech for the price.
Personally I'm not bothered about the sleep monitor - if you're a good sleeper it's pointless and if you're a poor sleeper I don't see how it'll help to improve things. But you can use the supplied wrist band to make the XNFit into a watch. One click of the button brings up the time and date. This is a handy feature whether you clip it on or keep it loose in a pocket, in fact I've stopped wearing a watch since I got this.
As with any pedometer, the accuracy depends on the data you give it - it relies on the stride length you tell it and it is up to you to walk accurately if you want precise results. Either that or get a gps device! If you work in steps rather than distance it's less of a problem. A minor gripe for me is that it's metric all the way and I still think in miles but I can live with it. All in all, it as exceeded my expectations.

The Silver Violin
The Silver Violin

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous, 5 Oct. 2013
This review is from: The Silver Violin (MP3 Download)
Well I can't believe the idiot that gave this one star and called it "crap" just because it wasn't what he was expecting. This girl has been practising daily for most of her life to become one of the most accomplished musicians in the land and even if it isn't your favourite music anyone with a brain would have to admit that she sure can play that violin. I think most people would know exactly what to expect from Nicola - beautiful music beautifully played. For me, she always delivers.

Page: 1 | 2