Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn more Shop now Shop now
Profile for whisperingmatt > Reviews

Content by whisperingmatt

whisperingmatt (Stockholm, Sweden)

Page: 1 | 2
1972
1972

5.0 out of 5 stars The smooth sounds of Josh Rouse, 30 Sept. 2006
This review is from: 1972 (Audio CD)
A friend lent me a copy of this to listen to. Having never heard of Josh Rouse and having lots of other music to keep me occupied, I didn't get round to putting it on for a few weeks, but when I did I found it instantly appealing. I listened to it again the next day, then twice the day after, by the end of the week I was hooked. Can't quite put my finger on what it is about this album, after all the lyrics aren't particularly groundbreaking, but his distinctly soothing voice and lovely guitar work make this album a pleasure to listen to. I've played it so much over the last year or so now that it will go down as one of those pieces of music that difines a period in my life.

I saw him play live in a small intimate club a few weeks after getting into this album, he covered most of the tracks from 1972......it was one of the most satisfying gigs I've ever been to.

Riot on an Empty Street
Riot on an Empty Street

5.0 out of 5 stars Music for rainy Sunday afternoons, 30 Sept. 2006
This review is from: Riot on an Empty Street (Audio CD)
An album full of instantly likeable songs, melodies that you somehow always knew existed. The more I listen to these guys the more I love their music. Full of hypnotic harmonies, this is music for a rainy sunday afternoon reading the papers, Songs like 'Gold in the air of summer', and 'Homesick' are astoundingly beautiful. You might like you music louder, more rocky, or electronic than this, but after hearing this album you have to admit these guys sound amazing.

If you get this and like it, check out their first album 'Quiet is the new loud' for more of the same. It's equally good in my opinion, and if you still hunger for more of their stuff have a look at 'Versus' remixes from 'Quiet is the new loud' for some interesting takes on those tracks by artists like Four Tet, Röyksopp, Riton etc.

Biscuits For Breakfast
Biscuits For Breakfast

4.0 out of 5 stars lovely mellow sounds, 30 Sept. 2006
This review is from: Biscuits For Breakfast (Audio CD)
As stated in the review by Mr. S. J. New "pierrevanconko" this album does feel like the Jose Gonzalez album Veneer, and if you liked that then you will probably like this. Consisting mostly of accoustic guitar and Finks mellow vocals this album is instantly likeable. I've played it to a few people and every single one has asked who it is and where they can get a copy.

I can't give it 5 stars because, well, there are a couple of songs on there that are just O.K. But they're not skippers, and I have no problem listening to the whole album again and again.

Balance 005 (Mixed By James Holden)
Balance 005 (Mixed By James Holden)

4.0 out of 5 stars its a grower, 18 July 2006
I wasn't that impressed with this release on the first listen. I was expecting to be blown away immediately after all the praise this mix has received, and i was rather disapointed. I thought it kind of just pldded along in a pretty uninteresting way. But I listened again, and then again, and again, and suddenly I found myself reaching for it regularly over a lot of other progressive trance / house mixes that I own. I can't quite put my finger on why that is, obviously track selection and mixing is top notch, but there is an illusive 'X' factor as well.

I have to say that I listen to CD1 way more than CD2 and while CD2 is good, I'd say it was no more interesting that most other mixes out there at the moment. CD1 is far superior in terms of track selection, dipping only with 'Do what you want' (why is there always at least one vocal track on these mixes)

It was released on an Australian label, so its harder / more expensive to get hold of a copy in europe, but if you are into Prog trance / house, then u NEED this in your collection.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 16, 2012 12:46 AM BST

Rounds
Rounds

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, 20 Jun. 2006
This review is from: Rounds (Audio CD)
Wasn't sure if I should get this album or not as the reviews seemed to sway from 'love it' to 'hate it', but I took a chance. I'd never heard anything quite like it and fell in love immediately. The style was familiar enough, but the depth and variety of sounds on the tracks was what made it stand out from the crowd, so to speak. The tentatively haunting beauty of 'Hands' followed by the sure footed kick of 'She moves she' is awsome and sets the mood for all that is to come.

It's not perfect, there are a few 'filler' tracks on here, but the album as a whole sounds beautiful enough, and more importantly different enough to stand out from all the other 'electronic' music out there at the moment.

Back to Mine - Adam Freeland
Back to Mine - Adam Freeland

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 20 Jun. 2006
I own quite a few of the 'Back To Mine' series (Nick Warren:), Dave Seaman:), Groove Armada:), Faithless:), Everything but the Girl:), Morcheeba:|, The Orb:|, and Roots Manuva:( ) and I have to say that in terms of track selection and flow I think this one tops them all. Some really beautiful tracks here from the banging opener to the euphoric perfection of M83's - 'Lower Your Eyelids To Die With The Sun'. More alternative rock than the electronica you might expect from a Mr Freeland mix, but trust me it's good. Actually I'd give it 4.5 out of 5 because I dont' really like the Jape track 'Floating', but it doesn't effect the overall enjoyment and it's not so out of place that I reach for the skip button. Overall a Superb CD.

Live Sessions Ep
Live Sessions Ep

5.0 out of 5 stars More please, 10 Feb. 2006
This review is from: Live Sessions Ep (Audio CD)
At last I got my hands on a copy of this, and boy was it worth the wait. I've loved everything that Bonobo has released to date, so to hear (almost) perfect live representations of some of his best tracks was a real pleasure. The crowd give the cd a little atmosphere, just to remind you that you're not listening to a studio recording. The extra track 'Recurring' from his forthcoming album is very good too and if it's a taste of things to come then I can't wait for that release. Oh and the Four Tet remix at the end is good too ;)

Substances
Substances
Offered by westworld-

4.0 out of 5 stars His Best Album, 10 Feb. 2006
This review is from: Substances (Audio CD)
Released in '96, one year after the excellent 'Mad Blunted Jazz', this is in my opinion a better all round listen. There are some truely great tracks on 'Mad Blunted Jazz', but there were also some that really 'grated' me. This just seems easier to listen to as a whole.

Blech
Blech
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars A Masterful Mix, 10 Feb. 2006
This review is from: Blech (Audio CD)
Nearly 10 years old, but still a really great mix of some fantastic tunes from Warp. Flows along really nicely, not really lingering on any one track for too long. If you liked Coldcut's JDJ no.7 - 70 minutes of madness release from the year before, then you will love this. Doesn't quite cover the scope of genres that '70 mins of madness' encompassed but it's a smoother mix for that.

FABRICLIVE16: Adam Freeland
FABRICLIVE16: Adam Freeland

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but not great either, 9 Dec. 2005
Hmm, starts off nicely, smooth downtempo breaks, blends into the superb 'Crooked' and out into 'Superpet' pleasantly building a nice tempo, Goes off in a slightly different (but nice) direction with 'Steamulation'. But after this the annoyingly out of place tracks start to appear, and the whole thing starts to fall apart for me. There are some good tracks in there, 'Reign' is great, so is 'In all nothing' but 'Freek' followed by 'mindkiller' is a really unwelcome change of pace at this point in the mix, and then it all comes back down again to finnish off with the lovely 'Airlock'. Should have stuck around that pace all the way in my opinion.
Mixing isn't that groundbreaking either, considering how much technology is employed in the making of mix albums these days, you'd expect some really amazing blends. Overall not bad, but not great.

Page: 1 | 2