Profile for ColinD > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Lucidity
Lucidity

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than I expected, 21 Jan 2011
This review is from: Lucidity (Audio CD)
Not exceptional, but nothing wrong with this at all.

Very nice vocals, very well produced; instrumentally very good as well.

If you like Muse or Nightwish you will probably like this - I like it.

Why not 5 stars you ask? Well the fact is I had the album on repeat play for a couple of days while driving so I like it; It's just at the end I could not really name any tracks or sing along that much. In other words it is good, but for some reason it did not stick in my mind. Good but not exceptional would be a fair description.

Skintight
Skintight
Offered by Fulfillment Express

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a good album, probably very good, 21 Jan 2011
This review is from: Skintight (Audio CD)
Don't purchase this is you expect Leaves Eyes as the songs are softer and sometimes more pop than rock/metal/folk.

However if you like really nice vocals with some variety, then pay the lady some respect and buy the album,.

Nothing wrong with this on my opinion, just perhaps with a few better songs it could have been really, really good; as it is it is just a very good album.

Worth listening to, especially if you like Kate Bush.

The Metal Opera: Part II
The Metal Opera: Part II

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a good album, probably very good, 21 Jan 2011
To be honest I have only written this review to cancel out (or just give a different opinion) on the previous 2 star review.

I just don't see what there is not to like! Multi-layed guitars, fantastic fast double bass drumming, a nice piano ballard, some decent keyboards and the bass playing is not bad either. Vocally there does not seem much wrong to me.

I accept that it is not up to the standard of the 3 albums from the scarecrow trilogy and it is possibly weaker than the first Avantasia album, but listen to it a few times and you realise how good it really is. A fair rating I think would be 4 to 4.5 stars - I may have gone for 5 had I not heard the other Avantasia albums first and though "this review may be wrong I am going to get it anyway".

The album is good, probably very good. The vocal range and variety is not as with the other albums, but if you like Edguy or Iron Savior you will like this.

If you have other Avantasia albums and like them I suggest that you get this as well. If you love Edguy you will love this (it's like Edguy, but with better songs). If you have not tried Avantasia before then perhaps it depends upon your mood, but I would suggest the Wicked Symphony first.

Salisbury
Salisbury

5.0 out of 5 stars Not the cover, the music, 20 Jan 2011
This review is from: Salisbury (Audio CD)
What is there not to like on this album? When I first purchased it in the late seventies (a few years after release) it was just another good (perhaps excellent) Uriah Heep album.

I just did not realise just how good it was until I had purchased my second CD copy (the first one too scratched, the vinyl long gone) and played it after a 2 year gap. Apart from Demons and The Magicians Birthday, I am not sure that Uriah Heep get better than this.

You want metal - it's here. You want prog rock - its here. You want classical style pieces, just listen to the title track. A nice soft acoustic number, well you get that as well. What more could you want from one CD?

Variety and it improves with age.

How many albums do you have that still sound this good over twenty years after you first listend? Just try this one, as I think it will still be good in another twenty years.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 1, 2011 12:19 PM BST

The Magician's Birthday
The Magician's Birthday

5.0 out of 5 stars Still 5 stars for me, 20 Jan 2011
This review is from: The Magician's Birthday (Audio CD)
I guess that it depends upon what you like when you give a rating, but I cannot think of many better prog rock albums than this. Simply magic, perhaps bettered by Demons & Wizards but not much else from any prog band comes close.

The up front bass guitar by one of the best bass playesr ever gives the songs the beat that they deserve. Drums are just perfect. Vocals by a master. Not many people could fault Mick Box on this showing. Keyboards by Ken are just the best.

From others reaction it is an album that seems to appeal across the spectrum of music fans and you can see why. Great musicians, fantastic songs, exceptionally well produced for the era and good artwork. Don't worry about that however, just let the music do the talking and buy this album.

Heading for Tomorrow
Heading for Tomorrow
Offered by mrtopseller

4.0 out of 5 stars This is good, 11 Jan 2011
This review is from: Heading for Tomorrow (Audio CD)
This is very good, but not the best Gamma Ray album out there.

Only buy it if you like meoldic screaming guitars, a decent rythmn with the bass/drums and good song writing. Ideal driving music.

Granted it's not Land Of The Free, but what metal albums are?

Suitable for all fans of Iron Maiden, Saxon, Judas Priest, Helloween, Uriah Heep, Edguy, Iron Saviour, Firewind, etc.

Givge it a go, but if you are more into Rush or Yes, try Land Of The Free instead.

Demons and Wizards
Demons and Wizards

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn music in the 1970s have been better?, 11 Jan 2011
This review is from: Demons and Wizards (Audio CD)
An absolutely exceptional album, by one of the classic UH lineups.

Okay they produced a number of 5 star albums, but this is simply one of the best. It is so cheap now that every household in the country should have a copy.

Check out the musicianship on this: Guitar, Keyboards, Vocals, Bass, Drums - It would be difficult to do better.

Ken Hensley knows how to write a song or two.

If you like soft rock, metal, prog rock, country or middle of the road stuff this could still be the album for you.

All I can say is go for it.

One of my top 20 albums of all time.

Moving Swiftly Along
Moving Swiftly Along

3.0 out of 5 stars You may not like this, 11 Jan 2011
This review is from: Moving Swiftly Along (Audio CD)
The musicianship is quality - how could it not be.

It is well produced and other people I have played it to like it.

For me however the musical style means it is just average. Perhaps I was expecting the hard rock or heavy blues of thunder - That is not what you get with this album. A different musical style and they are good at it; just not to my taste.

Melodia
Melodia

4.0 out of 5 stars This is good, 9 Jan 2011
This review is from: Melodia (Audio CD)
This is very good, but probably not as good as highly evolved.

Nothing wrong with any of the tracks on the album, but a bit less that is special compared to highly evolved. Having said that I can still leave the CD in the car and have it on repeat play for a while so it has somthing very good about it.

If you like highly evolved, then you will probably like this. If you don't like highly evolved but do like Green Day then you may still like this. Highly evolved to me was 4-4.5 stars, this is just the 4 stars.

Treasure Chest
Treasure Chest

4.0 out of 5 stars Greatest Hits?!?!?, 9 Jan 2011
This review is from: Treasure Chest (Audio CD)
I like Helloween and have most of their albums, but the only problem is that a large portion of their better music just does not appear on this album. I guess that the producers were limited to the space available, but more could have been done. Perhaps we should have had a CD for the soft side, a CD for the prog side, a CD for the heavy side, a CD for the best power/speed metal.

A band with just too many good tracks to fit on a couple of CDs and I just think that they picked some of the wrong ones.

Listen to this and you will think that Helloween are just a very good power metal band with a bit of variety. The truth is that they are much better than some of these tracks suggest.

Buy it as an introduction, then but/listen to the rest as well.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9