Profile for S. Milne > Reviews

Content by S. Milne

S. Milne

Prometheus - Collector's Edition (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + Digital Copy) [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Noomi Rapace

1.0 out of 5 stars How could the guy behind Alien, come up with this nonsense?, 2 Aug 2012
Based on a handful of crude drawings made by ancient civilizations on Earth, scientists are able to pinpoint exactly a moon to which the crude drawings (Starmaps it seems) point. Off they set. They arrive at said moon. As soon as the team enter the moon's atmosphere, they discover a landing strip and an alien structure. It is almost as if they were flying an aircraft down an ILS and the runway is there as they break out of the clouds. They land and so on and so forth.

There is a brief bit of pseudo-philosophising about why those who (we learn if we have not already guessed) created us, now seem intent on destroying us. We never find this out and one is left terrified by the thought that this might form the basis of a second movie. (I wonder what that reason could be - man's greed and his warlike nature perhaps? Or maybe, it will be his propensity to make god-awful sequels/prequels to previously well-loved films.)

The team then have to run through a check-list of scenes that the audience will remember from the previous movies. Some of these have been "improved" with more modern special effects. We end with the usual monster-chases-our-heroine scenario. Our heroine undergoes major abdominal surgery immediately before the chase, but this seems to have little impact upon her physical abilities. The chase ends less satisfyingly than in other movies.

It is clear that a lot of money has been spent on this, but in the absence of new ideas, or at least any ideas that are followed-through, one is not willing to suspend disbelief and forgive the more ludicrous aspects of the plot.

Alien was great. Aliens was pretty good too. Everything afterwards has seemed intent on destroying our memory of those earlier movies. This was at least as bad (and possibly worse) than Alien cubed. I hope they don't make any more.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 21, 2012 11:41 AM BST

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me [Blu-ray] (1992)
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me [Blu-ray] (1992)
Dvd ~ Sheryl Lee

2.0 out of 5 stars Audio Issues, 6 Jun 2012
I must agree with the previous reviewer. Good film - but there are at least three (possibly four) moments during the film when the sound behaves peculiarly. The effect is akin to what you might hear if you slowed down an audio tape. There is an example in the closing couple of minutes of the film when the angel appears before Laura and the music goes seriously wonky. Its clearly faulty. Would be interesting to hear if others have the same issue.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 15, 2012 9:02 PM GMT

Panasonic HDC-TM300 High Definition Flash Memory Camcorder With 32GB Internal Memory & 3MOS Sensor - Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Green Planet, 9 Jan 2010
There is a serious problem with this camcorder. When I returned from holiday (the first time the camcorder was used), I found that all the footage that I had shot had a very strong green/cyan cast. The skies looked very unnatural. Now home, I undertook various tests: I found that the Auto White Balance, the Daylight White Balance and the Cloudy White Balance all resulted in the green cast.

I contacted Panasonic. I was told that the engineers were aware of this problem. The guy told me that there was an issue with the Auto WB when the picture included sky! (I've yet to visit anywhere without sky). I was told that the Panasonic engineers were working on a firmware fix. There was no date as yet for the "fix". Until that time, the view of Panasonic was that the camera was working "within specification".

If you look online you will see very good reviews for the camera but look more carefully at user comments and you will find many people complaining that their footage is green.

Avoid.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 19, 2010 10:27 PM GMT

Toshiba 1TB USB 3.5" External Desktop Hard Drive
Toshiba 1TB USB 3.5" External Desktop Hard Drive

1.0 out of 5 stars Junk, 27 April 2009
First Hard Drive I have bought that didn't work. Every other time I switched it on it would cause Windows Explorer to hang. Data transfer would stop half-way into the transfer process.

Avoid