ARRAY(0xabdacca8)

Profile for S. M. E. Raywood-Priestly > Reviews

Content by S. M. E. Raywo...

S. M. E. Raywood-Priestly "yalda tova" (York, UK)

Osmos HD
Osmos HD
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars osmosis hd, 14 Mar 2013
This review is from: Osmos HD (App)
Downloaded this as a free app of the day - it's a fab game. Frustrating because it is so simple but so challenging as the levels get harder. Not a game for those who like bells and whistles, it's relaxing and fun.

Freaks Eat Too
Freaks Eat Too
Price: 1.53

3.0 out of 5 stars Simple, straightforward book, 3 Feb 2013
This review is from: Freaks Eat Too (Kindle Edition)
There's nothing very new here but it's a nice starter level for anyone interested in gluten-free cooking. Written in a pleasant, chatty style, with a few pictures, you can breeze through it. I downloaded it for free - if I'd paid for it I think I would have felt a bit disappointed as there are better and more appetizing gluten-free dishes out there. As a freebie though, it does the job.

I Had a Black Dog
I Had a Black Dog
Price: 4.82

4.0 out of 5 stars The black dog of depression, 31 Dec 2012
This review is from: I Had a Black Dog (Kindle Edition)
Really enjoyed this book. As one of the millions of people who have a black dog of their own, I was interested to give this book a try via kindle as it was a bargain price. I didn't learn anything new, but I loved the picture book format of it. It gives gentle advice based on the author's own experience of depression, and there are Australian and UK websites listed at the end for organisations such as MIND and The Samaritans. It's not a self-help guide or deep polemic on depression, but for me it resonated with some accurate visual representations of how it feels coping with depression, and I enjoyed it for those.

Stackers Pink - Medium Top with Lid - 480
Stackers Pink - Medium Top with Lid - 480
Offered by KG Homewares
Price: 17.65

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it!, 21 Sep 2011
I bought 4 of the 'Stackers' units, this being one of them, instead of a regular jewellery box, which is what I was initially searching for. I absolutely adore what I have received. I have the lidded top, a multi tray for earrings, and two deep units for necklaces. They fit together perfectly and make a really gorgeous looking item. I love being able to see everything individually, instead of jewellery being tangled and mixed up together. I can forsee myself buying more of these as gifts, as the pink is a beautiful colour - and I have discovered that they do a men's range too, so I think a winter holiday gift for my DH will be in order.

Premier Housewares 2-Tier Dish Drainer - White
Premier Housewares 2-Tier Dish Drainer - White
Price: 14.55

5.0 out of 5 stars Am I really writing a review for a dish drainer..?, 21 Sep 2011
Well, it would appear that yes I am! This was bought to replace my old drainer that was retired due to age, bless it. I love this new one. Really sturdy, loads of space, what more could a sensible person ask? The cup/glass drainer at the end is a great idea.

Crochet Unravelled: A Clear and Concise Guide to Learning Crochet
Crochet Unravelled: A Clear and Concise Guide to Learning Crochet
by Claire Bojczuk

4.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says..., 3 May 2010
...it taught me how to crochet! If you're going to buy any book to set you off, this is a winner. The patterns are challenging enough for a beginner, but you will soon move on from them. A simple, clear and concise little book.

Put Your Big Girl Panties on and Deal with It
Put Your Big Girl Panties on and Deal with It
by Roz Van Meter
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Apple-catchers or dental floss - all that matters is they're big girl knickers!, 3 May 2010
If I'm completely honest I bought this because a) I loved the title and b) it was cheap. I knew nothing about the author, it was a simple impulse buy...what a find!

This is a fantastic little book, written with heart and humour. Aimed at women, it explores the heritage and hang-ups we inherit from our mothers and mother's mothers, but in a completely accessible, warm-hearted and giggle-inducing way. There are important lessons here, some shared so gently the little girl in you will not feel the least bit intimidated; others are aimed directly at your grown-up self with a pleasing, raunchy love of life that made me laugh out loud.

Roz Van Meter is obviously a skilled therapist, and there was enough depth in this book to keep the intellectual side of me engaged. There is also great good-humour, compassion and good old-fashioned female wisdom. It is an encouraging book - en-courage...it gives heart, to use one of her examples. I know this is going to be a 'rrr' - regular 're-charge your batteries' re-read. Just un-bunch your panties - or as I'd say, untwist your knickers - and enjoy it.

Look Back in Hunger: The Autobiography
Look Back in Hunger: The Autobiography
by Jo Brand

3.0 out of 5 stars Left me feeling hungry..., 14 Dec 2009
Ok folks, this book is good, it's fine, it's an enjoyable read and it made me laugh out loud in places (not that I bought it hoping for or expecting that, but it was a bonus). BUT - it left me feeling as though I'd had the first course of a meal and then been ushered out of the restaurant before I'd even sniffed the entree, never mind looked hopefully towards the dessert trolley. I wanted MORE! I just can't shake the feeling that she didn't really want to write this book, because it is so superficial. I believe she is a private person, and fair enough for that - but as this is an autobiography I had hoped for a deeper insight into the mind of a very talented woman. It seemed to me that all the defenses were still up and there was little really shared. A shame, and ultimately unsatisfying...Jo, you're so much more succulent than this!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 1, 2011 10:38 AM BST