Profile for Jonathan Ryan > Reviews

Content by Jonathan Ryan

Jonathan Ryan (United Kingdom)

Mapping the Deep: The Extraordinary Story of Ocean Science
Mapping the Deep: The Extraordinary Story of Ocean Science
by Robert Kunzig

4.0 out of 5 stars East to read and highly informative, 28 Mar 2013
This is a lovely, easy-to-read book about the history of oceanography. It covers many aspects of this broad subject including biological, geological and physical oceanography. Kunzig explains these aspects very well. I got a bit bogged down in some of the biology in the middle of the book but that was probably because it isn't my area of major interest. For a background of the oceanography though, this book is great. In particular the chapters about the formation of the Mid-Atlantic Ridge and the ocean currents were very interesting. Even if you have a good knowledge of the subject already, this book will still be nice to read. I also enjoyed how the author describes the personalities of the academics who have contributed to the science.

Vibram© FiveFingers Men's Sprint Red Trainer 5F/M113Rd-44 10 UK, 44 EU
Vibram© FiveFingers Men's Sprint Red Trainer 5F/M113Rd-44 10 UK, 44 EU
Offered by SOLENTBAY

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for grass, 28 Mar 2013
I bought these shoes(?) to add some excitement to my training. After a few weeks of attempting to run on concrete I picked up a nasty injury on my foot. I think my feet just weren't tough enough to deal with the impact of running on hard surfaces. However, I now regularly use them when I am just training on grass. For this purpose, they are ideal. The Vibrams force you to run with a shortened but efficient stride and encourage a forefoot landing. I believe that training with them on grass has helped me develop my running form and toughened up my feet. I now have no problems with foot injuries and am able to train and race in very minimal road racing shoes.

Engleby
Engleby
by Sebastian Faulks

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable, 28 Mar 2013
This review is from: Engleby (Paperback)
Engleby is a first person account of the life of Mike Engleby. The book follows Mike through his school days, to university (with a large chunk dedicated to his life at Cambridge University), and into his adult life. Unlike many critics, I found the Mike's character hilarious and extremely interesting. I warmed to him early on in the book and became more and more intrigued when I realised that there were something more sinister going on and that his memoirs were not always to be relied on! Overall, I really enjoyed this book and felt it covered deep issues well whilst remaining interesting and funny.

Crash
Crash

3.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Bonkers, 11 Sep 2012
This review is from: Crash (Kindle Edition)
After reading this book I am looking forward to getting back to normality! Crash is a very weird, highly insensitive account of a man, Ballard, who finds sexual pleasure in car crash injuries. Ballard, the character, is assisted in this goal by the mysterious 'Vaughan' whose ultimate aim is to die during a crash into film actress Elizabeth Taylor. Many people have described this book as unpleasant and repetitive but it should not be written off. There are many pages in the book when Ballard, the author, mesmerizes the reader with effortless and vivid descriptions of a world where concrete and machines dominate the landscape.

Fallen Angel: The Passion of Fausto Coppi (Yellow Jersey Cycling Classics)
Fallen Angel: The Passion of Fausto Coppi (Yellow Jersey Cycling Classics)
by William Fotheringham

3.0 out of 5 stars Coppi is humanized, 10 Sep 2012
Fallen Angel is a well-written, heavily researched and interesting book. Fotheringham does well to keep a neutral stance on events by presenting both sides of the argument equally. I knew that Fausto Coppi was one of the greatest cyclists that has ever lived before I read this book but I did not know why. This book reveals all. Apart from Coppi's tremendous results on the bike, his privacy, shyness and early death meant that he retained an aura of mystique that continues to this day. Coppi is humanized in this book and I suppose that this is the point of biographies. My point is that it leaves me slightly disappointed as I feel I will never be able to idolize him in the same way as the Italians do. Perhaps the story of Coppi should be written as a piece of fiction so that he can take his place once again amongst the cycling Gods.

Trainspotting
Trainspotting

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, 9 Sep 2012
This review is from: Trainspotting (Kindle Edition)
The first thing you will notice about this book is the language it is written in. Much of the book is written with the dialogue written phonetically.

For example:
Ah = I
I ken = I know
eywis = always

But do not be put off by this! You will get the hang of of it and soon you will be fluent! The book is narrated by many different characters with each chapter being a sort of short story in itself. A big difference from the film is that there is no real story in the book, the book being more a chain of events not really going anywhere. In the film, a big deal is made of Rents running off with the money but this is not an important part of the book and is only briefly mentioned at the very end. This should not detract from the enjoyment of Trainspotting because instead the reader gets a rich and detailed account of the characters and their lifestyles. A film, no matter how good, could never replicate this. Trainspotting is both shocking and hilarious.

Running with the Buffaloes: A Season Inside with Mark Wetmore, Adam Goucher and the University of Colorado Men's Cross-country Team
by Chris Lear

5.0 out of 5 stars What a book, 9 Sep 2012
An outstanding book written for serious runners. I enjoyed this book from start to finish even though I peaked at the results at the end so always knew what was going to happen. Author Lear devotes just the right number of pages to every topic of interest including Wetmore's training methods and philosophy, Goucher, the races themselves and the tragic incident about two-thirds of the way through.

Brooks Unisex-Adult T7 Racer Yellow/Black/White Trainer 1000191D371 10.5 UK, 11.5 US
Offered by Runmarkt

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a fault, 9 Sep 2012
I have just bought my second pair of these. My first pair lasted a year. They are comfortable, lightweight shoes that can be used for training and racing. As a forefoot runner I have always preferred minimalist shoes and these tick every box.

The Spanish Game (Alec Milius Book 2)
The Spanish Game (Alec Milius Book 2)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I had hoped, 9 Sep 2012
After reading Typhoon by Cumming I was excited at the prospect of an equally enthralling spy thriller. I soon realised that this book was very different. The main character, Alec, is far from the perfect spy, and most of the book is devoted to background information. There are a number of instances when the reader thinks that something important will happen and mentally notes the circumstance only for nothing to materialize (e.g. Saul). After halfway the book does jump into life and it is gripping. My problem is that the twist occurs so late in the book that it is difficult to put the whole story together. The book is, however, well written and gives the reader a lot of interesting images of Spain, Madrid and the Basque Country as well as the politics of the region. I just would have liked a more conclusive end to the book where every end is wrapped up nicely.