Profile for Neil Goodacre > Reviews

Content by Neil Goodacre
Top Reviewer Ranking: 887

Neil Goodacre
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18
Einhell TE-CI 18Li Kit  Power X-Change 18V Lithium Cordless Impact Screwdriver Kit with 30 minute fast charge
Einhell TE-CI 18Li Kit Power X-Change 18V Lithium Cordless Impact Screwdriver Kit with 30 minute fast charge

3.0 out of 5 stars Powerful, yes, but enormous and unwieldy too, 11 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I used this at the weekend or put together a little play set for my son to use with his toy soldiers. While it does the job of screwdriver admirably, it feels enormously over-engineered for the task. The weirdest thing about it is that it has LEDs on it, as many screwdrivers do, to allow you to see what you're doing in enclosed spaces yet is so colossal that there's no way you're ever going to use it for that sort of work. I think if you've got a decent drill you can use for the heavy duty jobs, and a handy little screwdriver for the fiddly bits then you're just not going to need one of these.

The interchangeable battery is a nice touch but all the major manufacturers are doing that these days and my personal favorite is Ryobi. No offence Einhell but I'm going to be sticking with them for now.

Toy Story Battlesaurs Woody
Toy Story Battlesaurs Woody

3.0 out of 5 stars A nice-enough figure, 9 May 2015
This review is from: Toy Story Battlesaurs Woody (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
What you have here is a rendering of Woody as he appears in the movie "Toy Story That Time Forgot". He's about 4 inches tall and comes with a removable hat, sword and dagger. Unusually for Woody, he's wearing armour at the shoulders, forearms and ankles. The armour is not removable (as I thought it might be) and limits the range of movement in the cowboy's arms.

In addition to the arms, the figure' head rotates at the neck and, oddly, its feet rotate too. The hands grip the weapons firmly, which is nice, but Woody's a bit top-heavy and struggles to stand up on his own. He does have holes in his feet though, so you can mount him on a base if you want to display him.

Overall, this is quite a nice figure and the limited articulation should make it durable enough to survive normal play but you'll probably want to grab a couple of others from the same set too and for a tenner-or-so each, I'm not sure they're terrific value for money. Not terrible, but not terrific either.

BT Elements 1 km Range IP67 Rated Cordless Phone with Answer Machine and Nuisance Call Blocker

3.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy, 6 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been without a house phone for some years now so was glad to be offered this, just to see what I was missing. I have since received over twenty calls about PPI reclaims, but have a handy means by which to find my mobile when it disappears down the back of the sofa. Not bad.

The phone itself is a robust-looking example of function over form. It looks very 90s in its styling but is designed to be robust and in this it succeeds. The 1km range seems like a very optimistic claim but at the end of my garden some 70ft away, it was still loud and clear.

I think this would be a good shout for a tradesman that works from home. For anyone else, I think you'd probably want to go more contemporary. Now, where did I leave my mobile?

Philips Multi-Groom Ultra Precise Beard Styler Series 1000
Philips Multi-Groom Ultra Precise Beard Styler Series 1000

3.0 out of 5 stars Handy Clippers, 3 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been a beard-wearer now for about seven years. My decision to adopt the old face fuzz was driven not by a desire to be fashionable - goodness me no - but rather for convenience. My son had just been born and a few minutes' sleep in the morning seemed a better choice than a shave.

Anyway, I have always done my beard in the same way as I do my hair, using the same set of clippers for everything above the neck. This little kit from Philips basically gives you hair clipper functionality on a smaller scale. It comes with two heads, one an electric razor (more on that in a moment) and the other is literally just like my hair clippers, only smaller. It even comes with plastic heads (measured in S, M or L) and opting to use no plastic head at all will give you a zero, in old money. This function works very well and I was able to neaten up my beard quite nicely. The plastic heads are easy to use and pop on and off easily.

The electric razor bit, however, is a bit of a let down. I have a few areas that I periodically de-fuzz completely, high up on the cheeks and immediately under the bottom lip and I thought it would be nice to do these with the electric razor head but try as I might, I couldn't get these areas smooth. I ended up just using the clippers with no plastic. It's a shame because the way in which you swap heads is pretty slick.

The same slick twisting motion exposes the battery compartment and this unit runs on just a single AA battery, which is in itself quite impressive, made all the more so by the fact that Philips have actually gone to effort of including one in the pack. Polite round of applause there. But what would have been nice would have been a little sack or something to keep it all in. All you get is the cardboard packaging and plastic insert and it just isn't going to be robust enough.

Do I think this product is worth buying? Maybe. If you visit a barber or hairdresser for your barnet but you want to style your chops, this is not a bad buy. If, like me, you buzz your own bonce and therefore have a full-size set of clippers to work with, this kit is a little bit superfluous. It all depends on your circumstances.

So a bit of mixed feelings on this. The clipper is great but the shaver is rubbish. Batteries are included, but it's missing a bag. All-in-all not bad, but probably could have been better.

BISSELL Multi-Reach 2-in-1 Light Weight Cordless Vacuum with 25.2 V Lithium-Ion, 115 Watt

5.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight and powerful, 26 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a great little vacuum cleaner. Mounted on its charger with the handle folded down, it takes up hardly any space at all. Grab it, flick the handle into position and away you go, with sufficient charge and power to hoover the whole of my two-bedroom house, with juice to spare. And I you pop the middle bit out, you've got a dust-buster ready to go and it comes packaged with all the bits and bobs you need to clean the car, sofa, etc.

The swivel head makes it easy to get into tight spots and there is an "edge reach" button which apparently makes the head pick up dust and dirt from against the skirting board. And you get some snazzy blue lights on the head when you press it!

Yep, this has taken over as main hoover for us now and the old Sebo will be relegated to car duty. If sucking up dust is your thing and you've not got too much floorspace, this is for you.

MICRO Pedi Man Gift Set
MICRO Pedi Man Gift Set

4.0 out of 5 stars Sprinkle some foot dust on your life!, 15 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
What you have here is basically a cross between a power sander and a pumice stone. Fire it up and run it over your feet to get the crusty bits off. It's gross, but it does work and with the minimum of effort, I was able to grind down all the grey and yellow cracked bits on my heels to reveal the pink skin underneath. Not that I have a foot fetish or anything, but my heels did look a lot better afterwards. Cleaning up foot dust is my new first world problem.

It comes packed with two spare pumice wheels, a cheap-feeling bag and a set of nail clippers that are not approved by the APMA - whoever they are. All of this is a bit superfluous. It should really just have been packaged with the 2 x AA batteries it needs in order to run.

So yeah, quite a good little gizmo that does what it' supposed to!

Star Wars Rebels Command Versus Pack: Endor Attack
Star Wars Rebels Command Versus Pack: Endor Attack
Offered by Seth Retail

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of a brilliant bunch!, 7 April 2015
This is my personal favourite from the current selection of Star Wars Command toys, and it's up against some stiff competition.

The Star Wars Command range of toys basically consists of "army men" two-inch figures based on characters from the Star Wars movies. As a concept, that has to be almost impossible to beat. The only things that come close in living memory are Star Wars Lego or, better yet, McDonalds' Indian menu. It includes vehicles too, which are out-of-scale with the figures in the time-honoured army men tradition.

This set includes a great selection of figures and gives you goodies and baddies so you can get battling straight out of the packet. Luke Skywalker is there, lightsaber aloft and cast in gold-coloured plastic, with four ewoks for back up. All four ewoks are in the same pose and colour and, while some variety might have been nice, still look great ranked up together. They face off against four biker scouts, moulded in white and featuring two each of two different poses. Finishing the figure line-up is another scout trooper, in a repeat of one of the existing poses, but moulded in a gunmetal grey plastic.

The x-wing is the same as that found in a number of other packs and is neatly moulded with its wings open. The AT-ST walker is really nice-looking and is, I believe, unique to this set.

And all this for the same price as one 4-inch figure? What's not to like? There are hours of play time in this set alone, and more still when you mix it up with other sets, and no danger of losing little guns and accessories up the hoover! These are so good, after my son got bought his, I went out and grabbed myself a set to use for wargaming. They're ideal for that, and can look great when painted. Not that you have to do that, of course, but you can, and that adds yet more depth to these.

Star Wars Command is without doubt one of the best toy lines to come from Hasbro in years and this particular is among the best on offer. Highly recommended!

Star Wars Command Endor Attack Playset
Star Wars Command Endor Attack Playset

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of a brilliant bunch!, 7 April 2015

Gillette Fusion ProGlide Power Razor with FlexBall Technology Plus 3 Blades
Gillette Fusion ProGlide Power Razor with FlexBall Technology Plus 3 Blades

4.0 out of 5 stars Sharp sharp sharp sharp sharp, 5 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Being perfectly honest, I'm not sure there's really a need to have five blades on the one razor. Last time I shaved properly, we were on three and that was good enough but I suppose we all have to move with the times and in fairness, this did work a treat, as over-engineered as it may be. The swivel head (which I thought Dyson had the patent on) does offer you a lot of control and as I was refining a beard rather than whomping the whole thing off, the extra control came in handy. Clearly this is the cutting edge of razor technology.

It has one of those nice little moisturising strips too and I felt no soreness or irritation after use. The only thing that strikes me as being overtly superfluous is the button you can press to make the whole thing vibrate. Unless this is intended to allow you to practice for shaving in old or something, I can't really see the point. But it doesn't do any harm being there. It's just a bit weird.

So yeah, for a couple of days I had a quite nicely sculpted beard. The missus has taken ownership now and has been using to preen her lower half - and quite successfully I might add. Thumbs up all round!

Tefal Easy Soup Automatic Soup Maker
Tefal Easy Soup Automatic Soup Maker

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick, tasty and good for you!, 31 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been using this for a couple of weeks now and it is an excellent piece of culinary kit - assuming of course that you like soup...

I do, and I usually make a batch of it a week anyway but this gizmo has made that a lot easier. It really I pretty simple to use. You get a load of stuff, chuck it in and press the button. You can make creamy soup or chunky. This will cook and, if you go for creamed, blend your food, all within about twenty minutes. You do need to cut your ingredients down into 2cm chunks but that's no real hardship. Simple, tasty and healthy. Lovely.

There is a recipe book included which at first glance looks quite extensive but it caters for about fifteen different languages so is actually quite scant. Not that you really need it anyway as most of the recipes go something like "chuck X, Y and Z into your soup maker and press the button". It's also not only limited to soup. It has a blend function which works well (perfect for banana milkshakes) and a compote setting which I have yet to use.

There are a couple of things to bear in mind though, if I have to be completely honest (which I do). This machine is quite cumbersome and needs two strong hands to use safely. The instruction book even says so (or words to that effect). And it has a "self clean" function which doesn't really work very well at all. Although that's easily remedied with a damp cloth.

As neither of these shortcomings pose a problem to me, I am happy to heartily recommend this product!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18