Profile for Elliot > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Jupiter Ascending [Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray] [2015] [Region Free]
Jupiter Ascending [Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray] [2015] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Mila Kunis

5.0 out of 5 stars The story is rubbish, but that doesn't matter if you like (Or in my case love) science fiction,, 22 Jun. 2015
The story is rubbish, but that doesn't matter if you like (Or in my case love) science fiction, its almost like one of those old cheesy black and white Flash Gorgon movies has been given the latest special effects updates, and an enormous budget, in fact some of the special effects action scenes are ridiculously long.

The acting is actually rather good considering the ridiculous story line, but in the end its a science fiction junkies dream, and I loved it for what it is, rather than what some people would rather it was.

The bottom line is if you must have a believable story line with a plausible plot, then this probably isn't the film for you, if however you're just happy to sit back and enjoy a totally implausible film, with stunning special effects and gratuitous overly long action scenes, then this is probably a popcorn movie you will enjoy, I will certainly be buying it on blu-ray 3D to add to the rest of my popcorn movies :)

LUJII 2.7-Inch TFT Dual Camera Car DVR GPS Logger G-Sensor Vehicle Synchronous Recorder-New Version
Offered by Mini Kitty

5.0 out of 5 stars In my opinion the best all round DVR you can buy for the money. A must for commercial vehicles, 22 Jan. 2015
In my opinion the best all round DVR you can buy for the money.

Firstly let me say the camera and assorted leads take up a lot or space, I would not necessarily recommend them for cars with small windscreens, however for cars, vans and lorries with larger windscreens it should be fine (So long as its location does not impede the driver's view.).

I drive a sign written van and as such I am a prime target for "Cash for crash" gangs, for those of you who do not know about the whole cash for crash scams incidents, where fraudsters deliberately (sometimes with multiple cars in communication via mobile phones), have one car cut up or brake sharply in front of the other, which then performs an emergency stop causing an innocent driver’s car to go into the back of them. As it is the driver of the car behind that is deemed to be at fault in such collisions, fraudsters attempt to claim large sums in compensation for apparent whiplash caused by that driver. Gangs will target the vehicles most likely to have insurance like sign written vans or lorries.

So in an attempt to protect myself from such fraudsters I got one of these car cams, this particular model records not only what is going on on the road in front of me, but also my speed and location via the GPS, and it records what I'm doing in the cab with a rear facing camera, basically a total "Black box" for my van.

If you are the sort of person who makes it a habit of breaking the road traffic act, by using a hand held phone, or dangerous driving or regularly speeding then this camera is probably NOT a good buy for you, if however you are a good safe driver then it gives you the indisputable evidence if you have an accident, of not only what the other driver did, but what you were doing at the time of the accident.

ESYNiC 2 Way HDMI Splitter Amplifier Switch-1 input 2 output Switcher Support 3D Full HD 1080P HDTV
Offered by eSynic

5.0 out of 5 stars If you need to have the same display on 2 HDMI TVs/monitors from a single HDMI source then the eSynic® is a good solition., 22 Jan. 2015
The "eSynic® 2 Way HDMI Splitter Amplifier Switch-1 input 2 output Switcher Support 3D Full HD 1080P HDTV" arrived today, I needed a way of duplicating the display on my PC's "Benq g2420hd 24 inch widescreen lcd monitor" onto my Finlux 47" Smart 3D TV.

The eSynic® 2 Way HDMI Splitter seemed the best option, and after plugging it in I was not disappointed, now my Finlux 47" Smart 3D TV perfectly mirrors the display on my Benq monitor.

The eSynic® 2 Way HDMI Splitter is a powered amplifier as well as a splitter so I noticed NO signal degradation on my 47" TV even though I have to use a 10 meter HDMI cable. I nice touch is that the eSynic® can get its power from a spare USB socket, and a USB to power input cable is included in the box, meaning no need for a separate mains power adaptor.

Robocop [Blu-ray] [2014]
Robocop [Blu-ray] [2014]
Dvd ~ Joel Kinnaman

3.0 out of 5 stars Touchy feely, socially responsible remake of the original, but not a bad popcorn movie., 11 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Robocop [Blu-ray] [2014] (Blu-ray)
Its a far more touchy feely film than the original, that was really a gratuitously violent black comedy/action flick, that was really typical of the 80s (And I loved it back then), this version is typical of other films of our current time period (more Twilite and less Bram Stoker's Dracula.)

Like all films some people will like it, some will hate it, and some will not give a damn either way.

I Did like the whole showing what was left physically human of Murphy, and what was now machine, the effects were good, and the storyline was actually more believable (and a social comment on fighting wars and what is deemed acceptable elsewhere but not here attitude of people.) than the original, but it did lack that black comic humor of the original film (Probably because of the 12 rating).

The original movie was groundbreaking for its time, you certainly couldn't say that of this reboot, but still its not a bad film, if it were a student and I were its teacher, my report would probably read "C+ Tries really hard, but could do better."

Forbidden Planet [Blu-ray] [1956] [Region Free]
Forbidden Planet [Blu-ray] [1956] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Walter Pidgeon

5.0 out of 5 stars If you're a fan, then its a must have film in your collection., 2 Feb. 2014
I have only ever seen the film once before in the 1970's when I was either 6 of 7, but it obviously left a big impression on me as I remembered nearly the whole film.
Other people have left reviews on the storyline and acting, I will just say for a film of its day it was very good acting and special effects.
What moved me to write a review on this Blu Ray release were the special features, specifically the TCM documentary "Watch the Skies: Science Fiction, the 1950s and Us" in which Steven Spielberg, George Lucas, Ridley Scott and James Cameron all talking about the science fiction movies they watched growing up, and the effects this had on their movie making. For me that documentary was worth the price of the entire Blu Ray disc on its own, however you also get quite a bit more including a complete extra movie "The Invisible Boy" and a couple of episode of "The Thin Man" tv show featuring Robby the Robot, and a whole load of deleted and pre post production clips of the main film Forbidden Planet.
So to sum up if you're a fan of this kind of movie I highly recommend this Blu Ray release of "Forbidden Planet" .

Practical Gas Airsoft Pistols Upgrade & Maintenance 2014 SPECIAL EDITION: Also cover Hi-Capa upgrade for IPSC Practical Shooting
by AirsoftPRESS

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as much upgrade info as I would have liked., 30 Dec. 2013
As someone who shoots IPSC (International practical Pistol Confederation) competitions with both airsoft and real steel pistols, I was a bit disappointed not to have had more technical information on the upgrading of standard airsoft pistols.
I would however recommend it to the complete novice shooter who knows nothing about airsoft pistols, as it gives a very good introduction to the mechanism of airsoft gas pistols.

Flash Gordon (Remastered)
Flash Gordon (Remastered)

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed :(, 30 Dec. 2013
After watching the film Ted (There's a lot of Flash Gordon movie references in the film) I really wanted to listen to the soundtrack on my phone while out walking my dog.
i was very disappointed with the poor quality of the movie dialogue, and the long periods of silence between movie dialogue and queens music.
I still listened to it but it could have been so much better.

Hedonism (Just Because You Feel Good) [Explicit]
Hedonism (Just Because You Feel Good) [Explicit]

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this song., 30 Dec. 2013
I heard this song on a TV show and couldn't get it out of my head, so I had to put it on my phone :)

Mission Galactica [DVD]
Mission Galactica [DVD]
Dvd ~ Dirk Benedict

5.0 out of 5 stars Took me right back to the early 80s, 30 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Mission Galactica [DVD] (DVD)
I already own the complete series on DVD, but this is a re-edit of a few episodes into a movie, with a couple of added scenes that were absent from the originally aired TV episodes.
If you are a complete Battlestar Galactica nerd (Like myself) then its probably worth having, if you already have the complete series on DVD and are looking for new/different content then its probably not for you.

Flash Gordon [DVD]
Flash Gordon [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sam Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Retro cheese :), 28 July 2013
This review is from: Flash Gordon [DVD] (DVD)
I first saw Flash Gordon when I was 11, and thought it was a bit daft, but I did enjoy it. Recently I watched the comedy "Ted" and there were loads of references to Flash Gordon in that film, so I thought I would get a copy of Flash Gordon and relive some of my childhood. As SiFi movies go Flash Gordon is just a pure impossible technicolor child's fantasy, the hero is good, the villain is evil and the story is just ridiculous, and I love it.

Page: 1 | 2