Profile for MallingFox > Reviews

Content by MallingFox

MallingFox

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
5 Star Presentation Ring Binder PVC 2 D-Ring 25mm Size A4 White Ref 36112 [Pack 10]

5.0 out of 5 stars At last..., 22 Jun. 2013
...I have found a source of good-quality 2-ring, medium sized binders with plastic sleeve covers on the front and spine. These seem to entirely unobtainable from shops within many miles of where I live in NW Kent.

Four With Betjeman - Victorian Architects and Architecture [DVD]
Four With Betjeman - Victorian Architects and Architecture [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Betjeman

4.0 out of 5 stars Delightful, 18 Mar. 2013
These are old old programmes, but is delightful to be reminded of the old charmer's mastery of the medium and love for art and architecture of the nineteenth century. Knowing more about such matters now than I ever did way back then, I am more questioning of some of his judgements (he's very partisan on some points), but this doesn't in the least spoil the pure pleasure of listening to him and letting him guide one through his favourite buildings and architects. It's a real treat.

Kong Squirrel for Cat
Kong Squirrel for Cat
Offered by Pet-Bliss - Delivering WORLDWIDE

5.0 out of 5 stars A cat writes:, 10 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Kong Squirrel for Cat (Misc.)
"This toy has a strange power over me that I cannot fully comprehend. It appears a mere bundle of wool and fluff, yet often I am seized with a wild destructive passion in its presence. Not until it is thoroughly slain can I leave it, and when I return after a short snack break I cannot help but begin again. Clearly a strange magic lurks beneath its fuzzy exterior."

Philips NT9110 Nose Hair Trimmer
Philips NT9110 Nose Hair Trimmer
Offered by Sunday Jam

1.0 out of 5 stars It no longer works, 24 Sept. 2012
"This products seems to do all that one could expect of it, and is nicely designed and styled. I now have the air intakes of an English Electric Lightning, for those familiar with the clean lines of that wonderful aeroplane".
°°°°°°°

I penned the above shortly after receiving this product. 8 months later it has packed up, for no reason I can discover (no, not a flat battery), and I have binned it. So, I withdraw my commendation and have awarded instead a single star. If awarding no star at all was possible, I would do so.

Any Human Heart [DVD] [2010]
Any Human Heart [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Jim Broadbent

4.0 out of 5 stars In the end, very enjoyable, 24 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Any Human Heart [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
I purchased the DVD of AHH very soon - too soon - after reading and very much enjoying the novel. Too soon because so much of the novel had to be cast aside in order to fit the story within the confines of four ninety minute episodes. The result is not only a simplification of the narrative, but also a coarsening of its tone and a considerable veer towards stereotype, cartoon and humour. Given that Boyd himself wrote the script, this surprised me, and still does. However, the further into the story one goes, the less obvious I found these effects, and the more I was won over to a different kind and pace of story. The performances of the female leads are uniformly superb, which certainly helped. Those of male leads grow stronger with each Dr Who-style 'regeneration' - and Jim Broadbent, unsurprisingly, is magnificent. By the close I was enjoying the film very much, and was glad to have bought it. It is a much less sophisticated story than that told in the novel, which is in turn a much less sophisticated and interesting novel than Boyd's earlier 'New Confessions", which likewise attempts the story of an individual in his interaction with the sweep of the 20th century. I hope they don't try to serialise that one.

Yellow Submarine [DVD] [1968] [2012] [NTSC]
Yellow Submarine [DVD] [1968] [2012] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ The Beatles

5.0 out of 5 stars Still there, 15 Aug. 2012
I have now watched Yellow Submarine for the first time since seeing it at the cinema on release. It blew me away at the time, when pretty well every scene and effect lodged itself hardwire in my memory. It still works, even on a small screen, and is as utterly beautiful as ever.

Knockemstiff
Knockemstiff
by Donald Ray Pollock

5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary, 15 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Knockemstiff (Paperback)
This is an extraordinary book. Pollock describes appalling and damaged people in ghastly situations, behaving badly, and somehow elicits for them something which is close to compassion, or at least understanding. His writing is pitch-perfect. Highly recommended.

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

2.0 out of 5 stars Time moves on, 12 July 2012
Having purchased this album for nostalgic reasons (big favourite of an early love), I confess I was disappointed.

GYBR hasn't worn well, save for the few landmark tracks such as Candle and Saturday's All Right, maybe Grey Seal. Most of the rest now sound indulgent, over-produced, and under-written. A real falling back from Tumbleweed and Honky. I guess the temptation to produce a double album at this high point of his early career was too great for EJ to resist, but in truth there is barely enough worthwhile material for a single album.

One thing as not changed though - I loathed the cover design then, and I loathe it now. Ah well. Never go back.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 24, 2014 8:42 PM GMT

Untold Stories - Part 1: Stories: Stories Pt. 1
Untold Stories - Part 1: Stories: Stories Pt. 1
by Alan Bennett
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended without hesitation, 29 Feb. 2012
I wouldn't have the temerity to review the work of Alan Bennett, whom I regard as the finest English playwright alive, whether writing for the stage, film or television. His various pieces of autobiography are no less remarkable, in their combination of insight, intelligence, compassion and humour. Untold Stories is a wonderful piece of writing, and translates into an equally wonderful audiobook, read beautifully by Bennett himself. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Bury Me Deep
Bury Me Deep
by Megan E. Abbott

5.0 out of 5 stars Another stellar performance, 29 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Bury Me Deep (Paperback)
I found and read Abbott's first three novels a couple of years ago or so, and was utterly hooked by the quality of the writing and the imagination alike. "Bury Me Deep" is fully up to the very high standard set by those three. is it pastiche? Well maybe a bit - but this is nonetheless remarkable and irresistible fiction (usually based on some appalling real-life event), and very highly recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5