Profile for V. A. Adams > Reviews

Content by V. A. Adams

V. A. Adams "bookworm" (SE England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
In Car charger for Apple iPhone 4 4S, 3G 3GS(Black) iPod Touch, Nano, Classic, CE Approved
Offered by Super Size Savings
Price: 1.50

3.0 out of 5 stars Works okay but so stiff to put in, 7 Jun 2013
The action of this charger is so stiff to put in and pull out, and yes I know it has a locking mechanism where you have to push in two little buttons on the side before attempting to pull it out, that it is affecting the working of my other chargers. I am now reluctant to use it in case my apple in home charger stops working completely.

Christmas at Downton Abbey (2011) [DVD]
Christmas at Downton Abbey (2011) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Hugh Bonneville
Price: 5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars An extra bonus, 2 Jan 2013
From this excellent series. Well cast, well acted and beautifully set in wonderful surroundings this is British television at its best. Following the lives and fortunes of a family and its servants both before and during the First world war this engaging series has me hooked and as I am often out of the country when it is being televised I am grateful to find that it becomes available on DVD so quickly. Recommended to anyone who has missed it or indeed simply wants to re-watch it.

My Dear, I Wanted to Tell You
My Dear, I Wanted to Tell You
by Louisa Young
Price: 3.86

5.0 out of 5 stars A powerful and moving book, 2 Jan 2013
You might think that all that can be said about WW1 has already been said and said well but this book stands with the best of its predecessors. It circles round the relationship between a girl from a cultured and privileged family and a boy who is allowed into the family circle but only so far and not deemed worthy of marriage to the girl. The horrors of the trenches and the injuries sustained by those who fought are portrayed of course but what adds another dimension to this book is that the difficulties and limitations of those left behind are given equal weight. I felt involved with all the characters and cared about them, found myself profoundly moved at times sometimes to tears. I bought this as an audible book and loved it so much that I immediately bought as a paperback to give to my daughter, I recommend this book to anyone who who is interested in the human consequences of those appalling times.

Kitchen Craft Chrome Plated Three Tier Trolley
Kitchen Craft Chrome Plated Three Tier Trolley
Price: 16.75

5.0 out of 5 stars What a useful household item, 2 Jan 2013
I now have two of these one sits in my pantry adding much needed shelf space with a fairly small 'footprint' and the other in my cleaning cupboard keeping me more organised than I would otherwise be. I am contemplating one for my craft room as I know I would find many uses for it there.They come flat packed but I had no difficulty in assembling them and the castors on the bottom work well and add a really useful dimension to this great little trolley.

Madeira Walks and Car Tours (Landscapes Series)
Madeira Walks and Car Tours (Landscapes Series)
by John Underwood and Pat Underwood
Price: 9.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Great series, 2 Jan 2013
I love these sunflower guides and I try to buy one for wherever I am visiting as they always point you to interesting places and walks that you would just not find by yourself. The instructions on the walks are clear and we have mostly found them to be accurate enough to be followed quite easily and enjoyably. The walk are clearly timed (although we rarely manage to keep up with the times so if like us your are a slow walker you may wish to allow for that) and where possible the public transport options are included making this useful for someone without transport of their own. The car tours are useful for anyone who is not too familiar with the area and even those who think that they know the area can be surprised and pleased with them and good picnic spots are identified and where the tours intersect with a walk this is indicated. These are brilliant little all round books useful to walkers and non walkers alike. Highly recommended.

Madeira: The Mini Rough Guide (Miniguides)
Madeira: The Mini Rough Guide (Miniguides)
by Matthew Hancock

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent little book, 2 Jan 2013
I must confess that I am a rough guide lover having found them useful whenever I have bought one and this small version was no real exception. We had two weeks in Madeira, one of which was an organised walking holiday so the rough guide did not come greatly into play in that week but the second week we made good use of it and as usual it pointed us into several interesting directions both in food and places to visit. If you are not familiar with Madeira then I would recommend taking this with you on your visit.

John Shaw's Landscape Photography
John Shaw's Landscape Photography
by John Shaw

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful book, 2 Jan 2013
I bought this as it was recommended by the teacher on a landscape photography course. I have dipped into it from time to time and found it reasonably helpful. The photographs are beautiful and the book could just be bought for the pleasure of looking at them. It is well produced and the colour reproduction it good. It would, I think, be useful for the learner and intermediate photographer.

Sequin Art and Beads Barn Owl
Sequin Art and Beads Barn Owl

4.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable kit, 2 Jan 2013
It was bought for my eight year old Grandson who is both bright and quite craft savvy. The frame is not that impressive given the price and the amount of effort that goes into making it, and the design is printed on the background but not colour coded so that the accompanying sheet has to be consulted when choosing the colour of the sequins to be used whereas with a little more thought on the part of the manufacturer the printed design could have shown the colours and the whole thing would have been a lot more user friendly. That said the picture is good and the sequins and pins are plentiful and when finished the effect is quite pleasing. As a long term project for a craft loving older child this would make a good gift.

ground coffee measure scoop 1 person 30 ml
ground coffee measure scoop 1 person 30 ml

4.0 out of 5 stars Good scoop, 2 Jan 2013
Not the one illustrated in the picture but of a similar design although the one I have has a more rounded spoon like bowl. It is well constructed and the handle is short enough to allow for it to be left in with the coffee so no more searching for the spoon recommended to all coffee lovers everywhere!

KSG Arts and Crafts Sequin Art and Beads 0830 Orca Picture Kit
KSG Arts and Crafts Sequin Art and Beads 0830 Orca Picture Kit
Offered by Crafty Arts
Price: 23.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Well constructed kit, 2 Jan 2013
Although I would have liked a slightly better built in frame given the effort that goes into making it. I bought this kit for my five year old Grandson as he is obsessed by 'Shamu' so he loved the subject matter and has managed to make it with considerable adult help as he is just too young to be left to deal with pins by himself. The design is clearly printed on to the background cloth and there is an accompanying sheet which gives the colour of the sequins, I was left wondering why they could not have colour coded the printing on the background sheet which would have made it much more user friendly. The end result is quite impressive and overal I would recommend it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6