Profile for M. A. Bateman > Reviews

Content by M. A. Bateman

M. A. Bateman (Derby, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Sigh No More
Sigh No More

5.0 out of 5 stars SIMPLY STUNNING, 24 Aug 2010
This review is from: Sigh No More (Audio CD)
I must have listened to this album over thirty times in the last two weeks. I'm simply amazed at it. Never before have I bought or listened to music like it, but I love it! It reaches deep down into one's heart and plucks the strings. It's cathartic. Songs to cry with as they touch deep pain. Songs to inspire and give hope. Songs which make you realise that you are not alone. With a thumping beat. Beautiful vocals, delightful banjos, deep double bases and guitars.. It's a delight. It's a joy. You simply must buy it, and listen whilst reading the lyrics. I defy you not to be deeply moved as you listen and reflect...
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 14, 2010 8:37 PM GMT

Brief but Comprehensive Psychotherapy: The Multimodal Way (Springer series on behavior therapy & behavioral medicine)
by Arnold A. Lazarus

5.0 out of 5 stars Common sense approach to therapy, 18 Jan 2010
I'm doing a Masters in Integrated Psychotherapy and Counselling, focussing on Carl Roger's person centred approach, Congnitive Behavioural Therapy and Psychodynamic (focussing on Bowlby's Attachment Styles). The core text book for this course is Prochaska & Norcross' 2003 'Systems of Psychotherapy - A Transtheoretical Analysis' wherein the authors put forward an integrative way of dealing with clients specifying levels, systems and processes of change.

As part of my reading I read this book by Lazarus. He put forward a way of assessing and dealing with clients using the BASICiD - (Behaviours, Affect (emotions), Senses, Imagery, Cognitions, Interpersonal and Drugs (biology)). This on it's own is a very useful and often effective way of working with clients. But this book goes further in that he states that utilising different skills (therapeutic modalities such as cognitive, behavioural, solution based, 'timetripping' etc.) at each level of the BASICiD is what multimodal therapy is all about.

He gives countless examples, and criticises many therapists as 'wasting time'.

In effect he is using an eclectic style arguing that you can only become a specialist once you've become a generalist. So learning about the different types of therapy that can be implemented or used is more important that learning about just one. As such he argues against just becoming a CBT, or PCA, or psychodynamic therapist for example.

But all said and done, I found this book to be very practical, well written and easy to implement. I personally like his style, his forthrightness and plain desire to help people as quickly and efficiently as possible. His approach works with individuals, couples and families.

As such I recommend this book to you.

Fleet Foxes
Fleet Foxes

2.0 out of 5 stars No doubt their talent - but not for me, 20 July 2009
This review is from: Fleet Foxes (Audio CD)
Very talented, very gifted, but not for me. I like Coldplay, Snow Patrol, Keane, Kings of Leon, Doves, Florence and the Machine, even Elbow, but this is too "singy" for me.. It's a little like going back in time and listening to the beach boys unaccompanied.

Kingdom of Rust
Kingdom of Rust
Offered by NetsavesUK

5.0 out of 5 stars Love them, 20 July 2009
This review is from: Kingdom of Rust (Audio CD)
Again, looking for something a bit different from my usual Coldplay, Kings of Leon, Snow Patrol, Keane.. and I'm glad I did. This is a musical feast. Moody rock, with strong all round sound, strong vocals.. and I haven't found a bad track on it yet!

Lungs
Lungs
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Just brilliant, 20 July 2009
This review is from: Lungs (Audio CD)
I was looking for some new music, with a different sound. And I found it. In bundles. She has just such an amazing voice which seems to pull at the heart strings. I like Coldplay, Snow Patrol, Doves, Kings of Leon, Keane.. so this is a little different - but apart from the first track which I don't like quite as much the rest are brilliant.

The Shack
The Shack
by WM. Paul Young

5.0 out of 5 stars Just superb - regardless of your faith, 16 July 2009
This review is from: The Shack (Paperback)
What an amazing book. It will challenge, provoke, bring to tears, rend at your heart, cause your heart to burst with joy.. I'm a christian, but I have many friends who aren't and they have been impacted just as greatly. I love the

Hopes and Fears
Hopes and Fears

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 5 July 2009
This review is from: Hopes and Fears (Audio CD)
It was the first Keane album I purchased, and I was not disappointed. A great sound, great everything!

Adidas Climacool 365 Polo Shirt, Size M
Adidas Climacool 365 Polo Shirt, Size M

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 5 July 2009
Does what it says on the tin. A great looking cool climate shirt - great for the gym, great for running..

Philips Nivea Coolskin HS8060 Moisturizing Rotary Rechargeable Shaving System
Philips Nivea Coolskin HS8060 Moisturizing Rotary Rechargeable Shaving System

3.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointed, 13 Mar 2009
I bought this five weeks ago. I have always had a wet shave (MACH3) for work, and used a Philshave for the last five or so years when not working (and I've been on a sabbatical for a while). A wet shave would always leave red burn marks on my neck. My Philshave was starting to take longer and longer - so decided to splash out one of these after reading all reviews.

I don't have a fast growth beard, but I do have dark hair.

After five weeks here's my thoughts;

Positive;

* The balm works well - but my wife doesn't like the smell. Can't see any alternatives to Nivea online.

* It's small, easy to hold, looks ok

* Shaving is ok. Using the balm helps. I still find it tricky to get hairs around my adams apple and neck. I may have to go over it ten or more times with every possible movement to try and get at it. As a result there is a small red patch afterwards (though nowhere near as bad as a wet shave).

* It's easy to clean (use hot water)

* Can use in the shower (though I need a mirror to get at neck hairs!)

* Using the Nivea balm dispenser is a doddle.

Negative;

* Shaving is only ok. It's good on the upper face, but still struggles on the neck as I wrote above.

* Using the balm, or any other oily lubricant, leaves the shaved stubble on your face. This makes it look like you've still got stubble! As a result I have to wash my face after the shave to get rid of the stubble, then reapply a moisturiser.. :(

So all in all - I am disappointed but can't see any other real alternatives :( It would be great if Philips changed the design so that any shaving cream could be squeezed into the chamber!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 3, 2009 7:51 AM BST

WMF Seattle Boxed Cutlery Set, Stainless Steel, 12 Place Settings
WMF Seattle Boxed Cutlery Set, Stainless Steel, 12 Place Settings

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic buy!, 10 Feb 2009
I spent about an hour reviewing different cutlery sets. All seemed to be around GBP 60 for four or six place settings.. Then I saw these. Twelve! For under GBP 70 !!! I was also fussy as I didn't want patterns, and I did want rounded ends. I went for it. And they are superb. They look great adding a dash of elegance, are beautifully weighted, feel great in your hand and they are a bargain!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 14, 2010 8:41 PM GMT