Profile for Sparky > Reviews

Sparky "Sparky" (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Philips HR2020/50 Silver Jug Blender, 1.75 Litre - 400 Watt
Philips HR2020/50 Silver Jug Blender, 1.75 Litre - 400 Watt

5.0 out of 5 stars Very powerful and good capacity, great storage concept for small kitchens, 27 Jun. 2013
I had an absolutely ancient food processor bought over 20 years ago with 'Esso Tiger Tokens' when hubby was a travelling sales rep, which finally gave up the ghost earlier this year.

I only ever used it for blending anyway, sauces, soups etc, so hardly used any of the other blades for dough, chopping etc.

So I decided to get a standard jug blender instead.

This is bigger than I expected but the fact that the jug part turns upside down on the base for storage is ideal for our tiny kitchen with limited cupboard space.

It is very powerful - I did a pasta sauce in there last night which I actually only wanted slightly blended (I used to mash the aubergines etc in the pan with a masher, though the recipe said to stick in a blender). A few seconds on No 1 (not the most powerful) and it was completely pureed. Next time I need to literally just press the pulse button once I think! Definitely more powerful than my old food processor.

I don't have any babies at home but I imagine, based on the aubergine pasta sauce experience, that this would be brilliant for baby food.

WMF Bistro Coffee Measure, Stainless Steel
WMF Bistro Coffee Measure, Stainless Steel

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful quality heavy measure, ideal for coffee bags, 27 Jun. 2013
Arrived promptly and very well packaged, so would have been good for a gift if necessary (though not on this occasion). This will be ideal to reach down into my Lavazza packages of coffee, with a shorter plastic measure, that came with a cafetiere, I get bits of ground coffee over the hands once the coffee has gone down a bit in the packet.

Nice heavy weight in the hand, definitely a high quality item.

Nakd Caffe Mocha Bar 35 g (Pack of 18)
Nakd Caffe Mocha Bar 35 g (Pack of 18)
Offered by UK ONLINE

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice - not as strong as first appeared, 6 Jun. 2013
I am a fan of the Cashew version of these, but decided to try out the new flavour. I like coffee, but sometimes find 'coffee flavoured' products a bit too much.

On opening the bar is very dark and smells quite strong. However, I found it didn't actually taste as overpowering as it smelt.

I don't like the other Nakd Cocoa blends, I find them too srong, very 'plain chocolate' flavour. The Mocha, however, is not as strong.

Will be buying some more.

RHA MA350 Aluminium Noise Isolating In-Ear Earphones - 3 year warranty
RHA MA350 Aluminium Noise Isolating In-Ear Earphones - 3 year warranty

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea but didn't work quite as expected for me, 23 April 2013
I commute on the train every day, and it is really annoying when you get people with the generic white headphones leaking music all over the place. I like my heavy rock, and I don't want to disturb everyone else. I've always upgraded the headphones on all music players I have owned.

Over the years I have had Sennheiser CX300s and Creative EP-630s. These are just basic headphones with earbuds - no volume control or anything. Both were very good for sound isolation (deadening noise from the rest of the carriage), as well as not leaking noise to everyone else. However, both suffered from the same fault - one ear would stop working after about 18 months or so.

In buying these RHA ones, I thought I would try something different and although they are still working, the slightly different design of the buds (they still use the same rubber buds, which is handy, as I have spares) - means that they seem to sit slightly further out on the ear. The bud is in the same place in the ear. I don't know if this different design is what makes them totally useless as noise isolating - I can hear everything that is happening on the train, much more than I could with the Sennheisers (a little pricier) and the Creatives (a third of the price).

I have grown used to the nice volume control and central button for pausing and skipping tracks etc. and would miss it if I gave up and moved back to the Sennheisers or Creatives again.

But I probably will as the noise isolation bit just doesn't work on these.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 23, 2013 4:58 PM BST

YAKKAY Cycle Helmet with Paris Black Oilskin Cover: Medium (55-57cm)
YAKKAY Cycle Helmet with Paris Black Oilskin Cover: Medium (55-57cm)

3.0 out of 5 stars Great seller for communication but product not quite as shown, 6 Nov. 2012
Received this in good time, but be careful - the original Smart One helmets came in black only, with a variety of coloured covers, as shown here and in all images from this seller.

The Smart Two helmet (a little lighter and with slightly different side fastenings), comes in about 6 different colours.

I had purchased this black helmet in the expectation that, like the picture, the underlying helmet and side straps would be black.

When it arrived, I had been 'upgraded' to a Smart Two helmet (fair enough), but they had put a white helmet, with light grey side fastenings, instead of a black helmet. As someone who rarely wears any colour at all, this looked silly, and was not what I expected.

I had to pay for the return (which I was a bit annoyed about as it was not what was pictured), but the refund was swift.

I have now ordered the same helmet direct from the manufacturer in Denmark, which takes ages to come through, but at least you can pick the helmet colour and cover separately. The postage from Denmark by courier is also the same as internally in the UK via YFrame.

MazalMobile-Fishbone Wire Cable Winder for Earphone Cords
MazalMobile-Fishbone Wire Cable Winder for Earphone Cords
Offered by MOFRED PRODUCTS

3.0 out of 5 stars Smaller than expected but just about works, 6 Nov. 2012
I had one of these before that came free when I bought headphones several years ago, but lost it somewhere on my commute.

I ordered one of these and after the first one didn't turn up, the seller was very good and sent another straight away.

It is, however, not as large as the previous one and I struggle to get my MP3 player headphones (Creative Noise Isolating) wound around the 'fins' without a lot of cable left over.

I am using it - and it is better than the time spent unravelling untamed cable, but I wish I could find a larger version.

Pearl Izumi Elite Barrier Women's Cycling Gilet
Pearl Izumi Elite Barrier Women's Cycling Gilet

5.0 out of 5 stars Very lightweight, hardly know you are wearing it, 5 July 2012
I got this to wear in warm weather on my cross London commute. When it is warm I like to cycle in a vest and shorts only as it is too warm for even a short sleeve jersey. I usually have my Oystercard for the train at the other end in the rear jersey pocket. Wearing a vest and shorts, I haven't got any handy pockets; a standard hi viz vest might be hi viz, but doesn't have pockets either.

This solves both the hi-viz issue, plus provides a decent size, zipped rear pocket.

I am 5ft 2 and the rear dropped hem is lower than my cycle jerseys, completely covering my bum and dropping slightly below the saddle.

I am a 38" bust and bought the large, same size as my other Pearl Izumi jerseys - I could probably have managed a medium, but the large is more comfortable and leaves room for layers.

The gilet is very light indeed but doesn't rustle, the front zip is lined with plastic coating so that it doesn't leak, and the neck is lined with a soft black lightweight fleece fabric. Overall very well made and comfortable.

Respro Hi-Viz Sam Browne Utility Belt Utility Belt - Fluorescent Yellow
Respro Hi-Viz Sam Browne Utility Belt Utility Belt - Fluorescent Yellow
Offered by Adventure Northumberland

2.0 out of 5 stars Be warned - pocket is not big enough for an Oystercard wallet, 2 July 2012
This probably works fine as a Sam Browne belt, and the ability to split it is clever if you need it. However, if, like I did, you buy it for the handy little pocket to put your Oystercard in (the idea being to not have to rifle in the front bag pockets when going through the wide barrier at the station, in the summer when wearing a vest top or t shirt with no pockets), you might be disappointed. The pocket is only just large enough to accommodate a single Oystercard (admittedly, as shown in the picture), but is so tight that you can hardly get it back out, which isn't good for a quick barrier swipe in crowded London rush hour. Also, I'd envisaged putting the whole Oystercard wallet in there, not just the bare card - so it is useless for me.

I'll probably get some sort of lightweight money belt to tuck under the t-shirt and see how that goes.

Thermos Stainless King Food Flask - 470 ml, Blue
Thermos Stainless King Food Flask - 470 ml, Blue
Offered by U Stores

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for offices without microwaves!, 10 May 2012
I changed job in October last year due to previous redundancy and my new company, though a lot larger, does not have a microwave. I have really missed having soup for my lunch like I did at the old job, so after 6 months of boring sandwiches and buying expensive lunches in Pret, Boots and M&S, I thought I'd try this.

I chose this flask based on previous positive reviews; and I was proved right.

I take standard soup, a 400ml can fits great with a small air gap. I pre-heat the flask with boiling water at about 06.15 while I am in the shower. I microwave the soup for about 4 minutes until bubbling and then put in the pre-heated flask about 06.45am, leave the house at 07.00am.

I usually eat at around 12.15pm and it is still nice and hot, comfortable to eat but not blow on it hot, which is fine.

It is best to stir it first as if there is a small gap at the top, the cooler air makes the top cm or so of soup colder, but it is okay once you stir it all in.

Today I went out on an errand at lunchtime and did not eat the soup until 1.15pm and it was still hot even then.

Lente Designs® Amazon Kindle 4, Touch and Paperwhite case in 'Smithy Stripes' design
Offered by Lente Designs

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality, funky case!, 19 April 2012
Really nice and rigid to protect your investment in a Kindle. I bought this for my Kindle 4 even though I had another standard case, as it came up in my recommendations one day and I couldn't believe it - I love the 'Smithy' stripes pattern anyway, so had to buy.

It is a good quality canvas, lined in grey, and the magnetic catch clicks in really well. It is much easier to find in my bike panniers which are black inside, than my previous plain black case was - a good idea when you are on a crowded train.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6