Profile for Sue Sparkes > Reviews

Content by Sue Sparkes

Sue Sparkes "Sparky" (Middlesex)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
The Skinny Slow Cooker Vegetarian Recipe Book: 40 Meat Free Recipes Under 200, 300 And 400 Calories (Kitchen Collection On Kindle Book 1)
Price: 1.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, needs table of contents formatting properly though, 5 Nov 2013
This would be so much better if the table of contents worked, as it makes it difficult to find a particular recipe. I have used bookmarks.

However, I tried the Capiscum Mexican Chilli and it was absolutely delicious! The recipes are realistic, without odd ingredients that are difficult to get hold of.

Handirest The Ultimate Manicure Cushion Accessory
Handirest The Ultimate Manicure Cushion Accessory
Price: 9.89

4.0 out of 5 stars I should have measured my hand though, 5 Nov 2013
This is a great idea, but a little big for my hands. I find the fingers sit okay, but it is quite a stretch for my thumbs, which don't seem to line up with the groove for them. I don't have particularly small hands for a woman, but possibly I should have sought out the smaller size.

Skull LED Bike Lights - battery operated
Skull LED Bike Lights - battery operated
Offered by Otherland
Price: 8.38

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as my originals, 5 Nov 2013
I had some of these on another bike. On the old ones (not bought from here, but official 'Skully' brand), the back of the skull had a lift up section and firm clip that housed the batteries.

On these, you have to stretch and remove the whole silicon 'skull' section to reveal a white plastic skull with two LED bulbs as the eyes. These aren't attached that well, so it is very easy to dislodge the 'eyes' when trying to fit the silicon skull cover back on.

I wouldn't buy these ones again - I would search out the proper 'Skully' branded ones with a standard type of battery access that does not involve nearly wrecking the entire light.

YouCopia Original 18 Spice Stack Drawer Rack In Silver - 134010002
YouCopia Original 18 Spice Stack Drawer Rack In Silver - 134010002
Offered by WOWOOO
Price: 22.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Make sure you measure the depth of your cupboard first, 5 Nov 2013
I have this in a floor cupboard, as it is too deep for standard UK wall cupboards (ours are B&Q). However, for me, this puts it at a better height, I just open the cupboard door, lean down slightly, and pull out the drawer.

You do have to be reasonably careful as the drawers are plastic, but I've had no problems so far. Just support the drawer with one hand and take the spice out with the other.

This version has flat sections, rather than rounded as some do, so you can use square jars such as those sold by Tesco, or the round Schwartz ones.

The rectangular sections also just about fit one of the Schwartz refill boxes.

Cooksmart Don't Mess with The Chef Double Oven Glove
Cooksmart Don't Mess with The Chef Double Oven Glove
Offered by Burrows
Price: 8.46

3.0 out of 5 stars Very nice looking, but not that heatproof, 8 Oct 2013
I had a very old pair of cream coloured with blue edging gloves that were looking a bit manky (brown stains from various casseroles wouldn't wash out), and with a kitchen refurb giving a lot of black and stainless steel, opted for these black Cooksmart gloves.

They look nice, but they are nothing like as heatproof as my old ones. They are padded, but not that thick, at the hand part, and when I was taking a pyrex dish out of the oven last night, for the first time using them since purchase, I could really feel the heat coming through in comparison to the old ones.

I don't know whether my old ones had some extra heatproof stuff hidden between the fabric layers, but these new ones let in way too much heat for my liking and I wouldn't feel happy with them.

The search continues.

In The Shadows
In The Shadows

3.0 out of 5 stars Great song but not edited correctly, 11 Sep 2013
This review is from: In The Shadows (MP3 Download)
Great song, which I heard on Kerrang TV.

However, the MP3 I downloaded is not edited correctly and rolls into the next song, then cuts off.

Wireworks Wine-O Five Bottle Rack, Beige
Wireworks Wine-O Five Bottle Rack, Beige
Offered by Design Cornershop
Price: 42.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good quality, solid wood racks, 11 Sep 2013
These arrived very well packed and protected. When you took then out of the box, you could smell the real wood smell.

Bear in mind that they have two little legs (solid bits of wood more or less from front to back) at each end, which doesn't show that well in the photos.

The wine sits with the middle section of the bottle in the hole, with part of the bottle projecting front and rear. Be careful with non standard shaped bottles, or those with narrow necks, they will sit slightly differently.

Philips HR2020/50 Silver Blender with 1.75 Litre Jug - 400 Watt
Philips HR2020/50 Silver Blender with 1.75 Litre Jug - 400 Watt
Price: 27.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very powerful and good capacity, great storage concept for small kitchens, 27 Jun 2013
I had an absolutely ancient food processor bought over 20 years ago with 'Esso Tiger Tokens' when hubby was a travelling sales rep, which finally gave up the ghost earlier this year.

I only ever used it for blending anyway, sauces, soups etc, so hardly used any of the other blades for dough, chopping etc.

So I decided to get a standard jug blender instead.

This is bigger than I expected but the fact that the jug part turns upside down on the base for storage is ideal for our tiny kitchen with limited cupboard space.

It is very powerful - I did a pasta sauce in there last night which I actually only wanted slightly blended (I used to mash the aubergines etc in the pan with a masher, though the recipe said to stick in a blender). A few seconds on No 1 (not the most powerful) and it was completely pureed. Next time I need to literally just press the pulse button once I think! Definitely more powerful than my old food processor.

I don't have any babies at home but I imagine, based on the aubergine pasta sauce experience, that this would be brilliant for baby food.

WMF Bistro Coffee Measure, Stainless Steel
WMF Bistro Coffee Measure, Stainless Steel
Price: 6.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful quality heavy measure, ideal for coffee bags, 27 Jun 2013
Arrived promptly and very well packaged, so would have been good for a gift if necessary (though not on this occasion). This will be ideal to reach down into my Lavazza packages of coffee, with a shorter plastic measure, that came with a cafetiere, I get bits of ground coffee over the hands once the coffee has gone down a bit in the packet.

Nice heavy weight in the hand, definitely a high quality item.

Nakd Caffe Mocha Bar 35 g (Pack of 18)
Nakd Caffe Mocha Bar 35 g (Pack of 18)
Offered by PRO HEALTH
Price: 16.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice - not as strong as first appeared, 6 Jun 2013
I am a fan of the Cashew version of these, but decided to try out the new flavour. I like coffee, but sometimes find 'coffee flavoured' products a bit too much.

On opening the bar is very dark and smells quite strong. However, I found it didn't actually taste as overpowering as it smelt.

I don't like the other Nakd Cocoa blends, I find them too srong, very 'plain chocolate' flavour. The Mocha, however, is not as strong.

Will be buying some more.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5