Profile for T. Chigirov > Reviews

Content by T. Chigirov

T. Chigirov "Tim" (London)

Making Habits, Breaking Habits
Making Habits, Breaking Habits

1.0 out of 5 stars Dull, overly academic and bleeding obvious, 2 July 2013
It was painful reading this book.

I could tell the author was a typical middle class white British professor who had been reading academic papers his whole life, with no to little real life/practical experience.

If I buy a self-help book, I want you to give me solutions - quick and to the point. This book is extremely descriptive - the author gives tons of irrelevant examples - such as why Einstein was more creative than his students.

This is not what I want to know. I want to know what exactly a habit is and how specifically I can form a good habit and get rid of a bad one - quickly and effectively. That's why I like American writers - they speak to the point: the problem is A. In order to overcome it, you need to do B, C and D. Failing that's try Z. Give specific, relevant and precise examples. Start a new chapter.

As such, this book is an exercise is verbosity. It is full of sentences like: 'Research has shown that the stronger the habit, the longer it takes to overcome it' following which the author discusses at length the participants of the research, samples etc. I am sorry but you don't have to be a genius to figure this out. Or: 'Happy people tend to focus on positive thoughts'. Yea - butter is buttery.

I am a practical busy successful man who needs solutions not some ephemeral 'research'. As such, I regret I wasted time reading this book.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 4, 2015 9:50 AM BST

How to Make Anyone Fall in Love With You: 85 Proven Techniques for Success
How to Make Anyone Fall in Love With You: 85 Proven Techniques for Success
by Leil Lowndes

2.0 out of 5 stars Not specific, too many words, little substance, 2 Nov. 2011
Exactly 55% of this book is devoted to body language and how to look at your Prey/Quarry. We are all adults who more or less have been around the block (a few times). We know this stuff. Sometimes, the way you stare at your Prey works, sometimes they couldn't care less. She assumes that if we eyeball them for long enough and smile at them persistently enough, and nod non-stop and use the same words the Prey uses - that the Prey will fall for us.

Well, if only life were that easy.

Unfortunately, people play games and have hidden agendas.

If you really want to find/keep a good husband (and quality men are far and few between), read Rachel Greenwald's How to Find a Husband after 30 and, more importantly, Sherry Argov's Why Men Marry/Love Bitches. These will give you some specific and practical hard-core advice that actually works.

Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything
Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything
by Elizabeth Gilbert

1.0 out of 5 stars yuk yuk yuk, 28 Sept. 2010
yuk yuk yuk: a classic, quintessential, over the top chick book with the chick flick to follow. so sugary, sticky and sweet. so unrealistic. so, housewivey. so, hoi polloi. and so degrading for any thinking, aspiring, ambitious modern woman.