Profile for Gordon Charles Ros > Reviews

Content by Gordon Charles Ros

Gordon Charles Ros (Germany)

Page: 1 | 2
JAMMYLIZARD Black Leather 360 Degree Rotating Smart Case for the New iPad Mini 2 (with Retina Display) and iPad Mini (1st Generation) with Full Sleep Wake Compatibility
Offered by Purplemoose007

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, but stinks, 22 Jan. 2013
An excellent case and excellent service. The disc which you use to turn the ipad around is a bit flimsy, but ok. The only problem is that it stinks. I am not sensitive to smells but this case really does stink.

The Battle for the Falklands (Pan Military Classics)
The Battle for the Falklands (Pan Military Classics)
by Max Hastings

3.0 out of 5 stars Informative but boring., 2 April 2012
This is a tricky book to review. It is certainly not, in my opinion, a 'Classic' or set-text, but it does contain an astonishing amount of information about the Falklands crisis and ensuing war (though relatively little about the repercussions and implications) and the authors' attention to detail is impressive. For these facts alone, the book deserves 3 stars. But I couldn't help getting bored with the narrative and ended up thinking that I had a read a lot, but hadn't learnt much. One problem is precisely the fact that there is a wealth of information and fact on every page, so much in fact that you lose track of what is happening. Another problem is that the narrative (if you can call it that) is so 'objective' it doesn't grip you. I found myself skipping page after page of only vaguely relevant facts and figures....in a desperate attempt to get to get to the point - but it never really gets to that point. As a reference book, I am sure it is brilliant, as a book page-turner, well, it didn't work for me. Informative but boring. By the way, I think it is stupid to give a book one or two stars simply because you disagree with the authors' findings. You should judge a book on its own merits, as a book, not on your personal, political opinion.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 7, 2014 12:36 PM GMT

Motormouth
Motormouth
by Ben Elton
Edition: Audio Cassette

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius, 6 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Motormouth (Audio Cassette)
You can love or hate Ben Elton, but this is a work of pure genius in my view. I love it, though you have to be of 'a certain age' to totally appreciate it, e.g. the bit about 'specially sloped-down space-invader games' for medical students, lol. Actually, now I think about it, you have to be ancient to really appreciate it, lol. That makes me officially ancient :-).

One Day
One Day
by David Nicholls

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy the hype, 6 Sept. 2011
This review is from: One Day (Paperback)
It serves me right for buying the hype. I fail to understand why this book is a bestseller. Maybe one reason is because so many fools like myself have bought into the hype. I dunno. I have only managed to read the first two or three chapters. Yes, I know I shouldn't judge a book on its first two or three chapters but I couldn't read anymore because I was so bored. Here's the story: boy meets girl, they end up in bed in the first chapter......and..... Nothing happens, well nothing much.....some kind of weird bond is born between them, though I fail to see HOW or why this should be of interest to the reader? Then, he goes off to India or somewhere backpacking, teaching English, and shagging girls, etc, she goes to work in a fastfood joint......and that is as far as I have got. I get the point - it's a weird relationship but it just doesn't hold my attention or want me to find out what happens......I wouldn't mind, but the characters are just as stereo-typed and uninteresting as the plot (so far): He's handsome and rather posh, she's a working-class northern lass, etc. etc. It's not even particularly well-written. The author uses the expression 'shuffled up the bed' about 3 times in the first chapter. Not a major crime, I admit, but when I was at school and university, we were penalised for repeating expressions: it was considered bad style. The book is not, of course, all bad. Some parts are well-written and the letters they send each other are ok, etc. but on the whole it is hackneyed and cliched and basically not interesting....
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 28, 2012 1:31 PM GMT

The Beautiful Game?: Searching for the Soul of Football
The Beautiful Game?: Searching for the Soul of Football
by David Conn

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 4 Jun. 2011
After reading all the rave reviews about this book ('A brilliant book', a quite 'magnificent book'), and being a frustrated and disillusioned Arsenal and England fan, I just HAD to have this book. I started reading it with an excited glee. At last, I thought, here was someone saying what I have been feeling about football for a long while now. At last, someone was going to tell me where the soul of modern football has gone, or at least how it was lost. But it didn't happen. I tried really hard to love this book, as everybody else seems to, but I just couldn't help feeling hugely disappointed. Yes, it is full of interesting facts and anecdotes about the beautiful game I once worshipped and all the shady deals and crimes that have been committed in its name. Yes, it kind of says a lot about the history of modern football, and yet, at the same time, it says nothing much that we didn't already know, and left me feeling bored and frustrated. Maybe my expectations were too high? I found myself skipping long, drawn-out sections of the book, trying to find the relevant bits, but I couldn't find them. I also found myself getting confused. I thought that football had been ruined recently by big money, vain players, etc.? But a lot of the facts in the book go back a hundred years or more; to the origins of modern football in the UK itself. So, is the book saying football has always been crooked? It seems to be saying that. And yet, if that is the case, why wasn't I disillusioned long ago? Why are so many fans only now turning their backs on the 'beautiful game'? Nevertheless, the book is well-written in its own way (though how anyone can call it a 'thriller' is beyong me!) and well-researched, so I would give it at least two stars. I look forward to all comments here about how I've missed the 'point' of the book, and I don't mean that sarcastically.

Die Phantastische Reise Ins Jenseits (The Amazing Mr. Blunden) [DVD][1972]
Die Phantastische Reise Ins Jenseits (The Amazing Mr. Blunden) [DVD][1972]
Dvd ~ Laurence Naismith
Offered by dvd-uncut

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful and haunting film, 20 Dec. 2010
Like most of the others here, I saw this film when I was a young boy and have never forgotten it. I can't explain exactly it's hold on me, but it has held me spell-bound for about 35 years! It's the kind of film they just don't make anymore (sorry to sound like my parents, but it's true!). I love it and always will. I thoroughly recommend this film to all children, young and old! :-)

Forged in Fury
Forged in Fury
by Michael Elkins

5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishing, shocking and deeply moving., 16 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Forged in Fury (Hardcover)
The thing I don't understand is how I'd never come across this amazing book before? I studied German at university and even have a PhD written on far-right politics in Germany - and I've been living in Germany for 12 years, and yet I had never heard of this amazing book until, by total chance, I read Sam Bourne's The Final Reckoning whilst on holiday - which revolves around the last act of DIN, the secret Jewish underground group devoted to killing old Nazis. I was thinking Sam Bourne had just made it all up until I read in The Final Reckoning that there really did exist a group called DIN. That there really was a plot to murder a million Germans by posioning their water supply. Intrigued, I did some research and found Forged In Fury. I picked it up and couldn't put it down. I was often moved to tears. I've read hundreds of books on Germany, the Nazis, and the Holocaust, etc. but I've never read one that makes the whole story so personal. That, I would argue, is what makes this book so amazing......it takes you on a personal journey through the lives of the men and women who survived the Holocaust and who were largely denied justice after WWII by the Allies. You see the horror - not as cold impersonal statistics - but through the eyes who experienced it. It also helps you understand the foundation of the state of Israel and - to an extent (though it's no excuse for what is happening today) - the Arab-Isreali conflict. Astonishing, shocking and deeply moving. I have never read a better book on the Holocaust and the Jewish struggle for justice. Infact, I'm not sure I've ever read a better book full-stop.

This Is Spinal Tap (Double Disc Set) [DVD]
This Is Spinal Tap (Double Disc Set) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Rob Reiner
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars I watched this film by mistake!, 26 July 2007
Someone, one day will have to explain to me what is so good about this film? Maybe it's because I'm stupid? (I've got a PhD - maybe it's because I've got a PhD??!!). Maybe it's because I live in Germany (only joking German friends :-) Maybe it's because I read all the reviews here about this being the funniest film of all time (you guys obviously haven't seen Withnail and I). The most quotable film of all time? (you definitely haven't seen Withnail!). Or maybe it's because I hate heavy metal/hard rock (whatever you call it) so much and hated the spoof heavy metal just as much (without laughing once). Or maybe it's because I've never been in the music business and don't get the jokes?

Maybe, I dunno. But I have more rational explanation: the whole movie relies on the suspension of disbelief - that you 'buy' that it's real. Yet, it so obviously ISN'T real. That bit of suspension of disbelief lasted about 5 minutes with me. Thereafter, I found nearly the whole film - with one or two exceptions - cringingly embarrassing and NOT funny. I admit that there is a notoriously thin line between cringe and humour but Spinal Tap didn't do it for me. Don't get me wrong, I love satire - I love Ali G and Borat but this satire is a piss-take of something which is, in my view, already a joke - a joke about a joke isn't that funny, although I guess it might be for those in the 'know.'

So why 3 stars? Well, I thought the acting was first class. I did find one or two scenes mildly amusing, e.g. the Stone Henge scene, although it was funny in a kind of Mr Bean way, not really sophisticated. The dialogues are well done. And I thought the characterisation was brilliant - the characters are definitely believable.

Nevertheless, a total let-down. I only watched it because a Withnail fan recommended it to me......... now I see that, to paraphrase Withnail, 'I've watched it by mistake.'
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 2, 2009 9:49 AM BST

Withnail And I : 20th Anniversary Edition (3 Disc Digitally Remastered Special Edition) [1988] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Richard E. Grant
Offered by HalfpriceDVDS_FBA

5.0 out of 5 stars Shakespeare and I, 14 July 2007
There's not much else to add to the glowing reviews of this film which is by far the best movie I have ever seen (and I've seen quite a few) except to draw a parallel between the character of Withnail and a Shakesperian tragic hero. I know that there are students of literature out there who will baulk at the very idea but that's probably because they are too snobby to consider a film like this a work of art. But it is. I must have watched this film 50 times but I never cease to feel a cathartic chill run down my spine when Marwood says goodbye to Withnail in the end:

'I shall miss you Withnail.'
'I shall miss you too. Chin chin.'

This scene is one of the most moving I have ever seen. The drunken fool Withnail, at whom and with whom with have laughed, and who has spent the whole film not giving a toss about his friend, is suddenly and breathtakingly turned into the tragic hero he is and all the laughing gets stuck in your throat so suddenly that you feel shocked and guilty that you have laughed at all. Withnail's pathetically sad attempts to get Marwood to have one last drink are shockingly tragic. 'There's always time for a drink.' If that is not Shakespearian, I don't know what is. But it gets better (or worse depending on how you look at it) with Withnail's final solioquy, delivered in the pouring rain to a pack of miserable wolves...it is his final great act and the tragedy is no-one is there to see it except the wolves. When he walks off into the distance, you are left stunned (well I am) just like when you see Othello unexpectedly stick the dagger in his own heart.

Withnail and I is described and reviewed as a comedy, but I see it as a tragi-comedy. If Withnail and I was just a comedy, we would have long forgotten it. In many ways, it is a brilliant comedy but it is much more than that. I guess we all take out of art what we want and according to how we see the world. I can only speak for myself when I say that Withnail and I is the most beautifully crafted film I have ever seen. I happily confess that it helps to be British (esp. English) and male, but I would argue that anyone over, say, 18 who doesn't feel that carthatic chill at the final scene, is not fully human.

For those of you (and there are a couple) who say they don't like the film, all I can say is: 'Very, very, foolish words man.'
Comment Comments (11) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 19, 2014 2:07 AM GMT

Culture Shock! Britain: A Guide to Customs and Etiquette
Culture Shock! Britain: A Guide to Customs and Etiquette
by Terry Tan

2.0 out of 5 stars Poorly conceived and poorly written, 19 Aug. 2005
I totally agree with the first reviewer, this book is a total disappointment. I bought it because I teach contemporary British culture and society at a university in Germany and thought it would be ideal for my students, esp. those going to study in the UK but I was sadly wrong. I too had bought other Culture Shock! books and am a big fan but this one's awful. Poorly thought-out - the chapters and direction of the whole thing leave a lot to be desired and there are some serious omissions. It is also very poorly written. I can't understand what the hell the author is on about half the time. Pity.

Page: 1 | 2