Profile for I. M. Hardy > Reviews

Black Ships
Black Ships
by Jo Graham

5.0 out of 5 stars History brought to life, 17 July 2008
This review is from: Black Ships (Paperback)
'Black Ships' is Jo Graham's debut, a sparse and haunting retelling of Virgil's Aeneid, following the journey of the remnants of Troy around the Mediterranean in search of somewhere to build a new life, as the great Bronze Age civilisations begin to crumble.

But this is not simply an outing for fans of Virgil or those steeped in ancient history; Graham's graceful touch and beautiful characterisations breath life into a world known only through ruins and artefacts. Her characters struggle with politics, love, religion and conflict just as much as any today, and the reader is made inextricably a part of this world that seems so distant.

I had not read two chapters of 'Black Ships' before I was utterly hooked, and kept reading for hours just to see this incredible story through to its end. I will be eagerly awaiting Graham's next book!

Calvin for Armchair Theologians
Calvin for Armchair Theologians
by Christopher Elwood

5.0 out of 5 stars Calvin made easy, 20 May 2006
If, like me, you've never quite been able to get your head around Calvin then this book is for you. It clearly and understandably outlines his theology in a good amount of detail, as well as looking at his personal background and the legacy left by his thought. Christopher Elwood's language is clear but never condescending, and Ron Hill's illustrations inject welcome humour. An excellent introduction to a key Christian thinker.

Jesus Unplugged
Jesus Unplugged
by Dave Burke

5.0 out of 5 stars Thorough and interesting read, 10 Jun. 2004
This review is from: Jesus Unplugged (Paperback)
I'm something of a newcomer to Christianity and bought this book on a whim- however, I'm extremely glad that I did so. It's written in a clear and accessible style, and is in no way condescending; in fact, the author often had me giggling! This book lays out the simple facts of Jesus' life and works, removed from the bias and confusion of the organised church, and the author never preaches, and regularly lays out very rational explanations for why Jesus and the Gospels need to be taken so seriously. I would reccommend this book to both non-believers seeking to learn more about Christianity, and Christians looking for more information about their faith.