Profile for anon-london > Reviews

The Book Thief
The Book Thief
by Markus Zusak

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning.Gripping.Beautiful, 10 July 2008
This review is from: The Book Thief (Paperback)
This is quite simply breathtaking. I was staggered by the scale, the pace and the descriptions.

It's achingly beautiful, moving, gripping and from the first sentence you are hooked. I read that first page and knew I was going to love this.

I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't like this book. I read it at a frenetic pace - completing it this morning and I could pick it up and start reading it again.

YES IT IS THAT GOOD!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 13, 2008 1:48 PM BST

It Happened One Night [DVD]
It Happened One Night [DVD]
Dvd ~ Clark Gable

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent but not Capra's best (despite it's oscars!), 15 April 2008
This review is from: It Happened One Night [DVD] (DVD)
Despite sweeping the oscars at the time, and being a real cinema goers favourite - it's not the best of Capra's by any means.

The two leads are very good,(Claudette Colbert and Clark Gable). And there are some very funny scenes. But it just doesn't quite cut it against some of Capra's later and far superior work.

I'd say that It's a Wonderful Life (1946) is by far Capra's best work. With Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939) coming a close second. But it's also worth checking out the lesser known: You Can't Take It with You (1938) which is a great little film.

As for this one - well it's okay. If you ignore some of the jaw droppingly daft bits. Perhaps it's worth it just to see the sparring of Gable and Colbert on screen. Who I think hated eachother at the time.

What's Eating Gilbert Grape [1993] (Johnny Depp, Leonardo Di Caprio, Juliette Lewis) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Johnny Depp
Offered by DVDBayFBA

3.0 out of 5 stars A slow burner, but a sweet film, 15 April 2008
I'm not a Di Caprio fan, but have to say he is excellent in this film. It is the meatier role of the two leads. Though Depp is superb and understated by comparison.

The characters are very sympathetic, quirky and it's overall a tad different to the usual thing you might expect from a film with such a whimsical premise.

This is a slow film. And it's not one that's going to make you go 'this is amazing' but it's very watchable. And once you get used to the slow pace - you really get in to it.

I'd say this is worth watching.

28 Days [DVD] [2000]
28 Days [DVD] [2000]
Dvd ~ Sandra Bullock
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars Predictable, Contrived and utterlly shallow., 15 April 2008
This review is from: 28 Days [DVD] [2000] (DVD)
Oh dear.

There is something very patronising about the whole tone of the film. You never quite buy in to it's characters or premise. It has aspirations of being profound, but is in fact just plain predictable and at times so twee it makes ice cream seem like a diet snack.

It was also a shame to see a talent like Steve Buscemi wasted in such a pile of nonsense.

De-Lovely [DVD]
De-Lovely [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kevin Kline
Offered by rsdvd

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work, seems very phoney and insincere, 14 April 2008
This review is from: De-Lovely [DVD] (DVD)
I had high expectations of this - not least because of the somewhat over enthusiastic reviews here.

I was very dissapointed. It seemed totally insincere from the outset, and though I bared it until the end - I was wishing for the end to come sooner!

I did like the fact that the makers were trying to do something different. And that in a way is admirable. But it was done at a pace that was so slow - I'd have preferred to be watching my washing dry.

It's a real shame it didn't work. I can't really reccommend this film at all. And even if you are a lover of Porter's songs - as I think I'm amoung many who are - it is not enough to make you 'love' this film.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 3, 2011 10:11 PM BST

The Rough Guide to Bhangra
The Rough Guide to Bhangra
Offered by HERO SHOPPER

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent selection - a good starter kit to find which artists you really like, 6 Mar 2008
This is a decent enough selection. Virtually impossible not to bop to.

Some of it is a bit repetitive - but then there are also things inherant to the style of Bhangra itself.

There is one rap style song which made me laugh for all the wrong reasons and rapidly whizz to the next track - but other than that - it's perfectly enjoyable.

Rockferry
Rockferry
Offered by DVD Overstocks

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit of a shouter, Good rather than Great, 6 Mar 2008
This review is from: Rockferry (Audio CD)
Duffy - The girl sure can sing! But - the material is a bit naff at times and way to SHOUTY for my tastes. I was also distracted by too much repetition of verses. So overall I'd have to say I feel her talents are a bit wasted here.

There is obviously the retro angle - and a hint of Dusty Springfield in the vocals. But I'd say more than Springfield - it's as if someone packaged her up too quick in the style of Amy Winehouse, without thinking that Winehouse is really the voice of our generation and consequently unique. I also felt that Duffy is trying to do material that would sit better in the more experienced hands of the said Winehouse or K.T. Tunstall. (But then Winehouse probably would'nt ever sing such squeaky clean material!)

I'd say watch out for perhaps a more original follow-up album when maybe the lights have faded a tad and more serious songwriting can go on.

But overall this album is certainly worth buying - just expect Good rather than GREAT.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 3, 2008 10:41 PM BST

Fossil Ladies Black Everyday Zip Organiser
Fossil Ladies Black Everyday Zip Organiser

5.0 out of 5 stars To own it is to love it!, 3 Mar 2008
This bag is just brilliant.

-It's good quality
-has more pockets than Mary Poppins carpet bag.
-Is a great shape
-And frankly if I can fit in everything I need (and trust me that's a lot)- then any normal human being can too!

Clue [DVD]
Clue [DVD]
Dvd ~ Eileen Brennan
Offered by MediaMerchants

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny, fast and entertaining, 3 Feb 2008
This review is from: Clue [DVD] (DVD)
A real bargain! This is an extremely funny film. It runs more like a play than a film - the script is witty and fast. It's well edited and played with tongue firmly in cheek.

I really liked this - and for heavens sakes don't confuse this with the grossly inferior though earlier "Murder By Death" (which is a stinker!)

Tim Curry is on super camp form. And Madeline Kahn is utterlly hilarious. Frankly all the actors are excellent with not a weak link.

Murder By Death [DVD] [1976]
Murder By Death [DVD] [1976]
Dvd ~ Peter Falk
Offered by FLASH

1.0 out of 5 stars Over-rated, dated and at times offensive, "CLUE" IS BETTER WATCH THAT INSTEAD!, 3 Feb 2008
This review is from: Murder By Death [DVD] [1976] (DVD)
This hasn't dated well and I'm at a bit of a loss as to why other than nostalgia that this film has received so many glowing reviews.

With Peter Sellers appearing with his eyes taped down rather than hiring an oriental actor for his role is by today's standards unacceptable. As are indeed very tasteless cheap jokes that are racially related.

There are some humourous lines but they are rather sparse and more jokes are misses than hits. But for me personally - it was only the nostalgia factor and all the glowing reviews that made me think this was good (it sadly isn't).

What's good are the actors themselves. What a pity the story never really amounts to very much and all seems rather pointless at the end.

Trust me when I say - "CLUE" IS BETTER! Well worth buying that film - but just watch this one on TV and save yourself the price of a DVD that you'll end up giving away.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 19, 2013 2:33 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6