Profile for FF > Reviews

FF

Cambridge Cd10 Blk
Cambridge Cd10 Blk
Offered by Richer Sounds

1.0 out of 5 stars Quite simply this is the worst CD player I have ever had the misfortune to own, 4 May 2016
This review is from: Cambridge Cd10 Blk (Electronics)
Thought dropouts were a thing of the past? Not with the CD10. You can relive those forgetable moments of aggravating interruption when the music suddenly goes silent time and time again, and it will even pause the music for you before the thought had occurred to you! Besides being rattly as other reviewers have noted ths one also takes away the hassle of unloading the player - it often does it for you in the middle of tracks. It closes and opens at will, immediately closes again when opened etc . . It clicks and glicthes all over the place where none of my previous players have, and it inserts silences between seamless pieces just because of the track numbers - Strauss's Alpine Symphony is unlistenable on this player - actually almost everything has become unlistenable on this 'player'.

I bought it to replace my old Cambridge Audio Azur 340 which was fantastic but finally died. Quite simply this is the worst CD player I have ever had the misfortune to own in nearly 30 years of CD listening. Some might question whether it can be said to meet the trades descriptions act.

HP Officejet 4620 e All-In-One Printer
HP Officejet 4620 e All-In-One Printer

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad paper feed, ate cartridges; then dead!, 27 Feb. 2014
This printer had an upside: the basic quality of print was good. Otherwise, this was the worst printer I have ever owned. Despite using HP's own paper, the feed kept failing to pick up - a maddening glitch that eats time. The ink lasted nowhere near as long as they claim - it ate carttridges. Those comments are in the past tense because after just a couple of months it has died - it kept switching itself off on start up and would not come back on. To be honest I'm glad of an excuse to be shot of it. I'll be going to another make.

English Electric (Deluxe)
English Electric (Deluxe)

5.0 out of 5 stars The real follow up to Architecture and Morality?, 28 Dec. 2013
This is one of the most remarkable albums I have ever heard (and I am in my 50s). I have never before known a band so thoroughly pick up the baton they dropped after their early success. After the disappointments of Junk Culture and Crush, I despaired of hearing anything decent from McCluskey & co ever again and just satisfied myself with relishing their early work. This album, although with refeshingly new material that could only be contemporary, and amazingly after 30 or so years, succeeds in being the album they SHOULD have made after, or even instead of Dazzle Ships. The way they echo their original influence in working with Kraftwerk's Karl Bartos only underlines their recovery of the unique, beautiful, and thoughtful work they created c.1980. I always considered OMD to be one of the very few truly poetic bands of the New Romantics: there was a genuine romantic ideology reminiscent of Coleridge, Keats and co about their range of reference, and that is the aesthetic this album conjures. In short, if you loved Architecture and Morality, you will love this beautiful, tuneful album, and can forget they ever erred . . . .

Shades of Grey
Shades of Grey
by Jasper Fforde

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive, 12 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Shades of Grey (Paperback)
This is a novel that will keep you entertained, intrigued, at times baffled and often amused. It is a novel for those who like to explore the fictional world they are hurled into (shades of Arthur C Clarke's 'Rendezvous with Rama' and 'The City and the Stars' in this respect) and Fforde's talent enables us partially to visualize and imagine, to begin to complete what he shows us; is this future world, with its technological 'Leaps Back', the result of technology getting out of hand? This is though such a strange future that we can never be entirely sure we have everything 'taped' - which is part of the fun, and will bring you back for more. This is still though, a novel with a very human heart. Focusing the narrative through the main character (Eddie Russett), who becomes displaced, enables the reader to empathise but also to discover things along with him, while we, as it were, hurry to catch up with his understanding.

Like any good song, you might not 'get it' to begin with, but 'Shades of Grey' will grow on you if you give it a chance and you have the wit to appreciate it. It is a fast-paced, sure-footed text that takes the wholly admirable risk of losing you, because Fforde does not patronise his readers with acres of exposition and back-story!

This far distant future dystopia has tantalizing echoes of places that are recognizable, teasing allusions and more word play than you can shake a stick at (can you spot the allusion to the Muppets?). All of which, be warned, often makes the reader laugh out loud (and I hardly ever do when reading fiction, normally). Yet there is clear menace and mystery too: so many questions and always things to be found out and explored - not least, how will Eddie escape the peril we discover him in on p.1?

Never before have I re-read a novel 4 times within 2 years. 'Shades of Grey' is addictive because there is always something new to discover - surely crucial to any good writing. And never before have I so yearned for a sequel; like being a child waiting for the next week's comic! Yes, Fforde has delved into sci-fi, but this is more than that - it is a dystopian fantasy of extraordinary imagination and yet deep humanity with its focus on issues of discrimination, social structures and hierarchy and the value of life. I have read an immense amount in my over 50 years - 'Shades of Grey' is the most enjoyable book I can remember in all that time.