Profile for S5228 > Reviews

Wolf Hall
Wolf Hall
by Hilary Mantel

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting how style divides us, 25 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Wolf Hall (Paperback)
I was put off by the reviews. I thought I wouldn't like her writing style, but after watching (the brilliant) tv series I decided it was for me to decide (as it were). I am half way through and I love it. I can see that her writing style may not be for everyone, but if you aren't put off by it and actually like it (as I do) I think you can really immerse yourself in this book. And I have. I am savouring every page and looking forward already to the sequel.

I think it's a love or hate divide.

Craghoppers Classic Kiwi Womens Walking Trousers - Black, Short-Size 12
Craghoppers Classic Kiwi Womens Walking Trousers - Black, Short-Size 12
Offered by Great Outdoors Superstore

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice enough but sizing is way out!, 16 Feb. 2015
I'm a standard 10-12 so I ordered a 12. They were way too small so am having to return them. The waist was tiny and I could tell before I tried them on that they wouldn't fit. Bit tight on the bum too, but fine on the thighs. So I've ordered a 14 and will see how they are. I noticed in the size information that a 14 is 30 waist, which is odd as 30 waist is always a 12 as far as I know as it's the size jeans I buy.

Slightly annoying,but there you go. Strangely I tried a different style in the same make on in an outdoors shop and the 14 was much too big :/

Boyhood [DVD] [2014]
Boyhood [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Patricia Arquette

3.0 out of 5 stars Somehow disappointed, 9 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Boyhood [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
I am a big Linklater fan. Before Sunset is one of my favourite films (and the best of the 3 imho). I really relate to the way he gets the best out of the actors and I love to watch how the characters interact without any need for much plot. I don't think anyone could argue that the concept of Boyhood isn't a brave and worthy one; it is, if nothing else, a hell of an achievement. To watch his own daughter grow up within the film, the mind boggles.

Anyway I was, I am loathed to admit, somehow disappointed. The first half of the film with Mason as a young boy worked much better for me; he was quite captivating at times and it felt poignant and real. I have no issue with 'slow' films, I am happy to follow characters rather than plot but as Mason got to adolescence it became fairly long and drawn out - I expect that may be somehow the point, that he was in fact an irritating teenager, but the film kind of lost its way for me and seemed quite repetitive in the final hour.

The acting throughout was mostly wonderful with some very memorable scenes (haircut, alcoholic stepdad goes mental, Mason leaves his mum to go to college, Dad's friends gig at the end).

It's worth a watch and I'm sorry that sounds somehow harsh.

Trespass Women's Cocoon Down Jacket
Trespass Women's Cocoon Down Jacket
Price: £45.99 - £139.68

5.0 out of 5 stars so good I've got two!, 20 Jan. 2015
I bought this jacket in black about 3 years ago and because I like it so much I've just bought another one in the blue (not that there is anything wrong with th black one!). Just to pick up on some other comments:

Sizing - I think it's supposed to be a fitted style. It's a very warm jacket so I usually wear a light fleece or sweatshirt under mine. I'm a size 10 and medium is perfect, not too tight but fitted so you don't look like a Michelin man.

Washing- I've washed my black one and it was fine. I think the trick is to dry it in the dryer. It does take a while,but it puffs up again like a duvet and was good as new.

I would definitely recommend as a great value jacket that looks quite sporty. Also has a really good hood.

Lindy Bop 'Amie' Classy Red Polka Dot Vintage WW2 1940's 1950's Pinup Flared Retro Tea Dress
Offered by Lindy Bop

5.0 out of 5 stars Very flattering!, 12 Sept. 2014
I read all the reviews before I bought this dress. I'm a size10 top and a size 12 bottom and thought I should probably buy a 12 given some of the reviews. It was out of stock so I went for the 10 and it is a perfect fit. I would say if you are small busted (like me) then you definitely don't need to size up.

The colour is lovely, not too bright but bold. The material has enough weight for it to hang really well. The fit is the best thing, it is very flattering; skims rather than clings to stomach and hips. The length is perfect for me (I'm 5' 6), falling about 3 ins below the knee. I have quite big upper arms for my size and the sleeves are great, not tight and a nice length. All round quality is really good for the cost.

I don't usually wear this style of dress but I love it :)

Colfax
Colfax

5.0 out of 5 stars The first time I listened to the album I felt strangely disappointed. I absolutely loved Amy Boone's voice but the ..., 24 July 2014
This review is from: Colfax (Audio CD)
OK, so it's a cardinal sin to begin by mentioning Richmond Fontaine, but I am a longstanding fan so I was keen to see what Willy Vlautin was going to do with this new group. The first time I listened to the album I felt strangely disappointed. I absolutely loved Amy Boone's voice but the songs sounded simplistic and a bit samey. How wrong I was. A few more listens and hearing them do the the album live and I was completely hooked. Now I feel that it is the simplicity of the lyrics that make the songs (with her beautiful voice) so perfect. In fact it's wonderful how she manages to put so much emotion into songs like 'I won't slip up' (my favourite) and 'Colfax Ave'. When you get goosebumps time and time again you know they are doing something very right.

And there aren't many who can write a lyric like 'your fingerprints on me have begun to fade'.....
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 23, 2014 9:20 PM BST

Cloudseller NEW iPhone 5/5S/5C CHARGER LEAD HIGH QUALITY USB DATA CABLE- 8 Pin - APPLE IPHONE 5/5S/5C, IPOD TOUCH 5 NANO 7 IPAD MINI
Offered by MJP GLOBAL LTD

1.0 out of 5 stars Not good, 21 May 2014
Sadly it lasted only a few weeks. I wished I hadn't bothered and bought a decent one. You get what you pay for sometimes.

The Dying Hours (Tom Thorne Novels)
The Dying Hours (Tom Thorne Novels)
by Mark Billingham

3.0 out of 5 stars Sadly disappointing :/, 21 May 2014
I am a real fan of Mark Billingham and I've read all his books. When I first started reading them (in order) I was struck by how off beat they were compared to a lot of other crime fiction I've read (and I read a lot of it!) - clever and disturbing, compelling and with a great character in Tom Thorne.

Sadly I haven't enjoyed the last 3 and this one in particular I found very run of the mill. It's a real shame but I'm now losing hope that he will return to the quality to the earlier books.

Homescapes Yellow Knitted Pouffe Footstool Bean Filled 100% Cotton for Living Room Children or the Elderly
Offered by HOMESCAPES

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 16 May 2014
Very pleased with this. Great colour, perfect height as a footstool, seems really good quality. Firm, but that is what I wanted. Looks really good too.

All in all, perfect.

Dettol Mould&Mildew Rem Trg750ml
Dettol Mould&Mildew Rem Trg750ml
Offered by Dealsdirect247

5.0 out of 5 stars It works!, 8 Feb. 2014
Great product that actually works! It cleaned discoloured grout really quickly but I would recommend leaving it on a lot longer than the maximum 5 mins for marks on sealant around the bath. I sprayed it a few times over a few hours and it got rid of it all :)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4