Profile for S5228 > Reviews

Content by S5228

S5228

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Penguin Tote: Room of One's Own (Purple)
Penguin Tote: Room of One's Own (Purple)
by Virginia Woolf

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money, 12 April 2016
I have a couple of these tote bags and I've bought this one as a present twice. I agree that the colour is not as dark as in the photo, but it's still a nice colour (slightly washed out) and it's a good sturdy bag, heavy duty cotton, with a popper fastening inside.

I wouldn't pay £15 for one (which is what they cost in Waterstones) - even though they are nice - so this is a real bargain.

Penguin Book Bag: Great Gatsby
Penguin Book Bag: Great Gatsby
by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Edition: Apparel

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money, 12 April 2016
I have a couple of these tote bags myself and I've bought them as presents several times. Good quality heavy cotton, they wear well and look good. Popper on the inside is helpful too.

Pimpernel Dancing Branches Placemats - Set of 6
Pimpernel Dancing Branches Placemats - Set of 6
Offered by Good Thymes

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money!, 12 April 2016
Lovely colours, good quality, very pleased.

Euphoria Home Decorative Cushion Covers Pillows Shell Cotton Linen Blend Cute Stem Geometric Figures Orange Color 45cm X 45cm
Offered by Euphoria-Home

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money, 12 April 2016
I bought these as the pattern is almost the same as the Orla Kiely ones. The cushions are much better quality than I imagined they would be. The fabric has a linen feel to it. Good colour (orange but not too bright) and well made.

Pleasantly surprised!

Wolf Hall
Wolf Hall
by Hilary Mantel

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting how style divides us, 25 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Wolf Hall (Paperback)
I was put off by the reviews. I thought I wouldn't like her writing style, but after watching (the brilliant) tv series I decided it was for me to decide (as it were). I am half way through and I love it. I can see that her writing style may not be for everyone, but if you aren't put off by it and actually like it (as I do) I think you can really immerse yourself in this book. And I have. I am savouring every page and looking forward already to the sequel.

I think it's a love or hate divide.

Craghoppers Classic Kiwi Womens Walking Trousers - Black, Short-Size 12
Craghoppers Classic Kiwi Womens Walking Trousers - Black, Short-Size 12
Offered by THE PINK SHOP

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice enough but sizing is way out!, 16 Feb. 2015
I'm a standard 10-12 so I ordered a 12. They were way too small so am having to return them. The waist was tiny and I could tell before I tried them on that they wouldn't fit. Bit tight on the bum too, but fine on the thighs. So I've ordered a 14 and will see how they are. I noticed in the size information that a 14 is 30 waist, which is odd as 30 waist is always a 12 as far as I know as it's the size jeans I buy.

Slightly annoying,but there you go. Strangely I tried a different style in the same make on in an outdoors shop and the 14 was much too big :/

Boyhood [DVD] [2014]
Boyhood [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Patricia Arquette

3.0 out of 5 stars Somehow disappointed, 9 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Boyhood [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
I am a big Linklater fan. Before Sunset is one of my favourite films (and the best of the 3 imho). I really relate to the way he gets the best out of the actors and I love to watch how the characters interact without any need for much plot. I don't think anyone could argue that the concept of Boyhood isn't a brave and worthy one; it is, if nothing else, a hell of an achievement. To watch his own daughter grow up within the film, the mind boggles.

Anyway I was, I am loathed to admit, somehow disappointed. The first half of the film with Mason as a young boy worked much better for me; he was quite captivating at times and it felt poignant and real. I have no issue with 'slow' films, I am happy to follow characters rather than plot but as Mason got to adolescence it became fairly long and drawn out - I expect that may be somehow the point, that he was in fact an irritating teenager, but the film kind of lost its way for me and seemed quite repetitive in the final hour.

The acting throughout was mostly wonderful with some very memorable scenes (haircut, alcoholic stepdad goes mental, Mason leaves his mum to go to college, Dad's friends gig at the end).

It's worth a watch and I'm sorry that sounds somehow harsh.

Trespass Women's Cocoon Down Jacket
Trespass Women's Cocoon Down Jacket
Price: £52.41 - £119.99

5.0 out of 5 stars so good I've got two!, 20 Jan. 2015
I bought this jacket in black about 3 years ago and because I like it so much I've just bought another one in the blue (not that there is anything wrong with th black one!). Just to pick up on some other comments:

Sizing - I think it's supposed to be a fitted style. It's a very warm jacket so I usually wear a light fleece or sweatshirt under mine. I'm a size 10 and medium is perfect, not too tight but fitted so you don't look like a Michelin man.

Washing- I've washed my black one and it was fine. I think the trick is to dry it in the dryer. It does take a while,but it puffs up again like a duvet and was good as new.

I would definitely recommend as a great value jacket that looks quite sporty. Also has a really good hood.

Lindy Bop 'Amie' Classy Red Polka Dot Vintage WW2 1940's 1950's Pinup Flared Retro Tea Dress

5.0 out of 5 stars Very flattering!, 12 Sept. 2014
I read all the reviews before I bought this dress. I'm a size10 top and a size 12 bottom and thought I should probably buy a 12 given some of the reviews. It was out of stock so I went for the 10 and it is a perfect fit. I would say if you are small busted (like me) then you definitely don't need to size up.

The colour is lovely, not too bright but bold. The material has enough weight for it to hang really well. The fit is the best thing, it is very flattering; skims rather than clings to stomach and hips. The length is perfect for me (I'm 5' 6), falling about 3 ins below the knee. I have quite big upper arms for my size and the sleeves are great, not tight and a nice length. All round quality is really good for the cost.

I don't usually wear this style of dress but I love it :)

Colfax
Colfax

5.0 out of 5 stars The first time I listened to the album I felt strangely disappointed. I absolutely loved Amy Boone's voice but the ..., 24 July 2014
This review is from: Colfax (Audio CD)
OK, so it's a cardinal sin to begin by mentioning Richmond Fontaine, but I am a longstanding fan so I was keen to see what Willy Vlautin was going to do with this new group. The first time I listened to the album I felt strangely disappointed. I absolutely loved Amy Boone's voice but the songs sounded simplistic and a bit samey. How wrong I was. A few more listens and hearing them do the the album live and I was completely hooked. Now I feel that it is the simplicity of the lyrics that make the songs (with her beautiful voice) so perfect. In fact it's wonderful how she manages to put so much emotion into songs like 'I won't slip up' (my favourite) and 'Colfax Ave'. When you get goosebumps time and time again you know they are doing something very right.

And there aren't many who can write a lyric like 'your fingerprints on me have begun to fade'.....
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 23, 2014 9:20 PM BST